Overclock.net banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Okay, here's what I did today, and I must first start off by saying Dr. Vogel is awsome. He's my lab coordinator at the U of C, and has 8 NMR, and 2 superconducting MRI's in his lab, an 200 something processor mainframe (or server, not actually sure), and he likes to tinker. Anyways, The "water" I have cooling my components is actually an alcohol based coolant (methyl ether) so it feezes at well below 100 C (-138.43 C), surrounded by a larger tubing of ethyl alcohol that freezes at -117.38 C, and the cool room we do a lot of bioinformatics stuff is cooled to a maximum of 100 C (though it almost never drops below -45 C). At any rate, we got to talking, and it got to my wanting to overclock. Then it got to, well do you have any liquid hydrogen around you don't want, well how about liquid nitrogen? The answer to both was yes, in the name of science and if I paid for it. So maybe later this summer I can try some sick overclock.

As for now I have been unable to match the overclock of 3.6 Ghz as seen in the link posted in an earlier reply. I can run semi stable at 3.23 GHz, but thats nothing new. I think I may have to order a second motherboard (identical one) so I can use the jumper to get beyond the 1.4 V to the processor (which nullifies the warranty). I gotta play it safe, its my school rig.

And when my FSB changes, my RAM seems to get fussy. Any way to up my FSB and slow my RAM, or is this an oxymoron since FSB (I believe) increases RAM speed?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Not yet, trying to get the CPU up faster, haven't even started on the GPU's. Is it true I need to pull out RAM to OC because 4 Gigs is too much? Wow, RAM and too much, never thought I'd say that

41 - 47 of 47 Posts