Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I've been playing a lot of Crysis 3 lately and my OC'd 7970 at 1125/1575 MHz should have no problem maxing out Crysis 3 on High to Very High settings with AA turned down and keeping FPS at a constant 60+. But instead my FPS jumps around like crazy and I can barely get a stable FPS above 40-70 on HIGH settings with 2x MSAA. When I tried Very High settings with 2x MSAA my FPS is between 20-60 usually sitting around 40. My 7970 should eat games alive especially at the 1920 x 1080 resolution I play at. So the only solution that I can come up with is that my CPU is putting a clamp on my GPU. But I've already done most of the standard tests and none of the cores on my 6100 are maxing out and the processor seems to be functioning completely normally. So what's the deal? Any ideas?
thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatfoodnow View Post

I highly doubt it's your processor. I'd suggest checking into your drivers.
I'm running 13.2 Beta 6. I have driver sweeper, CCleaner, and AMDs new driver uninstall program installed and I used them when upgrading from my 560 Ti a few weeks back and when upgrading from 13.1 WHQL to 13.2 Beta 6. How can I tell/do a test to see if I'm having driver related issues?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Keeping everything same, what happens if you lower just Post Processing and Shadows? They are mostly CPU dependent I believe. If your CPU is the bottleneck, you should see a noticeable drop in performance when you level up. (Please correct me if I am wrong.)

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anusha View Post

Keeping everything same, what happens if you lower just Post Processing and Shadows? They are mostly CPU dependent I believe. If your CPU is the bottleneck, you should see a noticeable drop in performance when you level up. (Please correct me if I am wrong.)
Yes if I crank up the AA I get a massive performance hit but that's normal for any graphics card really. To me I just feel like I could have just messed up something with driver cleaning/installation or like samuelspark said the FX-6100 is really a pretty mediocre CPU at best even when highly OC'd. I just didn't think it would hold back 10-20 FPS in most games.
redface.gif

Check out this thread for examples: http://www.overclock.net/t/1363759/guru3d-crysis-3-benchmarks-review-22-video-cards-tested

Also I will have to try that I'll put settings on very high and then turn down Post Processing and Shadows to Low or Medium and compare FPS with them at Very High.

·
Registered
677 Posts
A.A. is G.P.U. work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insan1tyOne View Post

Yes if I crank up the AA I get a massive performance hit but that's normal for any processor really. To me I just feel like I could have just messed up something with driver cleaning/installation or like samuelspark said the FX-6100 is really a pretty mediocre CPU at best even when highly OC'd. I just didn't think it would hold back 10-20 FPS in most games.
redface.gif
It was suggested in these forums that a Phenom 2 955 at 4.1GHz would be needed to not waste a 7970, so a 4GHz 6100 should bottleneck in some games that use less threads.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by L4dd View Post

A.A. is G.P.U. work.
Oh yes sorry. That's not what I mean't. What a newbie mistake.
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
462 Posts
I think your problem is with using MSAA. It's extremely performance hungry and just sucks at removing jaggies from vegetation in Crysis 3.

Try using SMAA. It should be less performance hungry and give better image quality.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
do you have any other games that you can test?
crysis 3 showed good performance on amd cpus on benchmarks but its still a new game, there will still be patches to improve performance.

You should test with an older game like crysis 2 and BF3 to really check gpu/cpu usage

1 - 13 of 13 Posts