Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an FX-6300 running at 4.6Ghz on an Asus M5A99X Evo II.

Everything's been thoroughly tested and seemed fine for weeks until recently I needed to RAR some files and every time I tried resulted in a complete OS freeze.

Long story short, I left most settings at auto in the BIOS and the one which fixed the problem was in the DIGI+ POWER section.

Manually setting the lowest value which worked in the CPU CURRENT field, in my case 120%.

Just thought I'd share this finding, if like me you overclock carefully and were stumped by a similar problem and didn't want to max all BIOS settings.

·
Da Boss
1,895 Posts
Pro Tip: When over clocking, never leave anything that directly affects OC'ing to auto. Always fine tune as you go. Pretty much OC'Ing 101 friend lol.

·
Guru
1,079 Posts
Plus, always stress test with something like prime95 and OCCT before calling it stable. I say more likely than not, OP's overclock is still not fully stable going by what he wrote.
tongue.gif

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't jump to conclusions.

Prime95 ran for hours without error in all 3 preset torture modes, I say all 3 because one creates max heat, one shows max voltage and the other a bit of everything that can show up errors even if none were encountered in each of the previous types of test, despite drawing less voltage and creating less heat.

I must conclude that WinRAR and the particular files I was compressing just highlighted a weakness somewhere that Prime95 did not.

No previous compressions with WinRAR showed any errors never mind totally locking up the OS.

Other than that everything is 100% stable for all uses.

·
Da Boss
1,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5A99X Evo r2 View Post

Don't jump to conclusions.

Prime95 ran for hours without error in all 3 preset torture modes, I say all 3 because one creates max heat, one shows max voltage and the other a bit of everything that can show up errors even if none were encountered in each of the previous types of test, despite drawing less voltage and creating less heat.

I must conclude that WinRAR and the particular files I was compressing just highlighted a weakness somewhere that Prime95 did not.

No previous compressions with WinRAR showed any errors never mind totally locking up the OS.

Other than that everything is 100% stable for all uses.
So what was it? Digi power or WinRAR? I should have said this sooner but stop using prime95. It's an old method of stress testing that doesn't use all new instruction sets. Use a various combinations on stress test software to determine if your overclock is save.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanzylol View Post

thats a little overkill. 24 is more than enough
It's either 24 or 48. Thats what i saw on results posted in a topic on here,overclock.net . Half was 24, the either half of the people ran 48 hours to say their overclock was stable.
I am a "guarantee" guy so i picked 48.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts