Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

This is my first time on this forum and it has been very helpful when searching for help

I have the FX 8150 stock standard with a thermaltake bigtyp revo cpu cooler.

My specs are as follows:

Motherboard - GA-990-FXA-UD3
CPU - FX 8150 3.6GHZ-4.2GHZ
GPU - GTX 560TI asus
PSU - 1050w
CASE - Thermaltake Overseer RX-I
Ram - 8Gb
HDD - 1TB 7200rpm

Problem - When running applications and games such as BF3 or 3DS max (rendering) My CPU temps rise up to 69-70c Celsius.

My idle temps are at 18c, The programs I have used to see the temps are Core temp, speed fan and Aida64.

They all very around 6-10 degrees within each other.

I was wondering if purchasing a Hyper 212 EVO with a pair of good fans would be any better than what I have currently in my setup?

Edit* I was going with the noctua nh-D14 but have been steered away as it can warp or even crack the motherboard from the weight it is.

Any help will be appreciated, Thanks
smile.gif

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan32 View Post

Hello,

This is my first time on this forum and it has been very helpful when searching for help

I have the FX 8150 stock standard with a thermaltake bigtyp revo cpu cooler.

My specs are as follows:

Motherboard - GA-990-FXA-UD3
CPU - FX 8150 3.6GHZ-4.2GHZ
GPU - GTX 560TI asus
PSU - 1050w
CASE - Thermaltake Overseer RX-I
Ram - 8Gb
HDD - 1TB 7200rpm

Problem - When running applications and games such as BF3 or 3DS max (rendering) My CPU temps rise up to 69-70c Celsius.

My idle temps are at 18c, The programs I have used to see the temps are Core temp, speed fan and Aida64.

They all very around 6-10 degrees within each other.

I was wondering if purchasing a Hyper 212 EVO with a pair of good fans would be any better than what I have currently in my setup?

Edit* I was going with the noctua nh-D14 but have been steered away as it can warp or even crack the motherboard from the weight it is.

smile.gif
Firstly welcome, secondly do not take much notice of the idle temp as this is not an accurate calculation. I do not know the cooler you are using personally but it does not seem right that you are reaching such high temps with no overclock and stock voltage. Are you sure it is seated correctly? paste applied correctly? Even the stock amd cooler is sufficient to cool a stock clocked cpu. The Hyper 212 Evo is a good aftermarket air cooler and will be able to handle a decent mild overclock of your chip.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your quick responses.

I have not heard of AIO watercooling, but I dont really want to get into water cooling with the build I have now.

the voltage at the moment is at 1.4v jumping from 3.6ghz to 4.2ghz turbo mode.

The cpu cooler was an "upgrade" from the stock one that I had put on there for me.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Quote:

Thank you for your quick responses.

I have not heard of AIO watercooling, but I dont really want to get into water cooling with the build I have now.

the voltage at the moment is at 1.4v jumping from 3.6ghz to 4.2ghz turbo mode.

The cpu cooler was an "upgrade" from the stock one that I had put on there for me.
AIO water cooling stands for all in one. Something like this,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106188

Its as simple as air cooling.
thumb.gif

·
r/madlads
8,705 Posts
How many fans do you have on your case? And what CFM? Fan config?
And the Hyper212+ will definitely outdo your current HSF, just make sure it fits in your case (Looks like the frio fits inside anyway)
Your current HSF has limited surface area along with 5 tiny heat pipes

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you very much for your reply's I tried asking this on toms hardware forums several times and never got a reply .

I will definitely get the hyper 212 EVO for my CPU then.

I have the Thermaltake overseer RX-I case that came with two big 200mm blue led fans ( I am unsure of the CFM on these fans) It also include a fan at the back.

I chucked in a fan from an old PC onto the bottom sucking air in.

Also what fans would be good to pair with the hyper 212 evo ?

Preferably blue LEDs

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Quote:

Thank you very much for your reply's I tried asking this on toms hardware forums several times and never got a reply .

I will definitely get the hyper 212 EVO for my CPU then.

I have the Thermaltake overseer RX-I case that came with two big 200mm blue led fans ( I am unsure of the CFM on these fans) It also include a fan at the back.

I chucked in a fan from an old PC onto the bottom sucking air in.

Also what fans would be good to pair with the hyper 212 evo ?

Preferably blue LEDs
you will be disappointed if you get the evo. so many people moan about how they cant get decent overclocks with decent temps on the fx chips.

Whoever told you nh d14 can warp motherboards is lying. i used one for over a year and the motherboard was as straight as the day it went in.

if you want my advice go with the nh d14 you will not be disappointed.

evo sucks

·
Premium Member
27,522 Posts
Quote:

smile.gif
There are "rumors" about big coolers warp / crack but they are not backed up with any fact. Only cases I know of this actually happening are when case was dropped, shopped without supporting the cooler on board or similar. All of which are not within reasonable use of equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshuman View Post

AIO water cooling stands for all in one. .....
Its as simple as air cooling.
thumb.gif
LOL NO IT IS NOT!!! No idea what planet you are from or what you've been eating but you must be living in some altered universe.

Air cooler = heatsink & fan/fans = 2 items in system.
*Heatsink absorbs heat and fan cools it with air.. SIMPLE!!
*Fan dies on a big cooler and system will still work at low to medium load because all of the big coolers with cool passively... or strap on whatever fan is handy until you get replacement fan. Coolers last virtually forever

Water cooler = block / block-pump + hoses + radiator + fan/fans = at least 4 items in system.. plus water.
*Block absorbs heat into water, a pump moves the water through hoses to a radiator, and fans blow air though radiator to remove heat from water.. COMPLICATED!!
*Fan dies and in most cases system overheats.. or strap on whatever fan is handy
*Pump dies and there is NO COOLING.. and water pumps will all die eventually. Even custom loop systems.. and these cheap CLC/AIO system pumps are not going to last more than 5 years.. many fail in a couple years.

Myself, I plan on using my heatpipe air coolers for many many years. I've used one for 4+ years already and it's still going strong.

Basic common sense can see 2 items is simpler than 4+ items

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

There are "rumors" about big coolers warp / crack but they are not backed up with any fact. Only cases I know of this actually happening are when case was dropped, shopped without supporting the cooler on board or similar. All of which are not within reasonable use of equipment.
LOL NO IT IS NOT!!! No idea what planet you are from or what you've been eating but you must be living in some altered universe.

*Fan dies on a big cooler and system will still work at low to medium load because all of the big coolers with cool passively... or strap on whatever fan is handy until you get replacement fan. Coolers last virtually forever

Water cooler = block / block-pump + hoses + radiator + fan/fans = at least 4 items in system.. plus water.
*Block absorbs heat into water, a pump moves the water through hoses to a radiator, and fans blow air though radiator to remove heat from water.. COMPLICATED!!
*Fan dies and in most cases system overheats.. or strap on whatever fan is handy
*Pump dies and there is NO COOLING.. and water pumps will all die eventually. Even custom loop systems.. and these cheap CLC/AIO system pumps are not going to last more than 5 years.. many fail in a couple years.

Myself, I plan on using my heatpipe air coolers for many many years. I've used one for 4+ years already and it's still going strong.

He was meaning all in one coolers. Like the h100i etc lol so which altered universe are you frm!!
rolleyes.gif

You have confused yourself with custom loops
biggrin.gif

i understand where you are coming from though. The H100's etc all you do is fix the rad on case and stick the heatsink on? how much more simple can one get lol

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok thanks for the replys so much more helpful.
thumb.gif

So If I were to get the noctua nh-d14 on my motherboard it should be perfectly fine ?

Went to a store and they laughed when I asked for one and said "They can break your Motherboard because of the weight & the heat and cooling"

He personally had his motherboard break from it apparently.

I just don't want to spend the money and end up paying for a new motherboard if it breaks.

Also would the noctua nh-d14 fit in my case ? I cant check at the moment I will later if no one can get a hold of the answer.

Cheers
smile.gif

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Quote:

Ok thanks for the replys so much more helpful.
thumb.gif

So If I were to get the noctua nh-d14 on my motherboard it should be perfectly fine ?

Went to a store and they laughed when I asked for one and said "They can break your Motherboard because of the weight & the heat and cooling"

He personally had his motherboard break from it apparently.

I just don't want to spend the money and end up paying for a new motherboard if it breaks.

Also would the noctua nh-d14 fit in my case ? I cant check at the moment I will later if no one can get a hold of the answer.

Cheers
smile.gif
I dont see how he broke his mobo unless he misused it lol. Its the only way. As for dimensions the nh d14 fits nicely in my haf x

WxHxD
Haf x 230 * 599 * 550 mm

yours 220 x535 x 580 mm

I cant remember if i had a 10mm gap spare. I could of done as it wasnt right up to the side of the case. im on water now so cant give exact sorry
smile.gif

nh d14
Height (with fan) 160 mm
Width (with fan) 140 mm
Depth (with fan) 158 mm

• Rep+
Reactions: Jordan32

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Quote:

Would this be quieter than my current CPU cooler ?
im n ot sure how quiet yours is but the nh d14 is pretty quiet for its size

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gertruude View Post

im n ot sure how quiet yours is but the nh d14 is pretty quiet for its size
Yeah, mine has been fine on my motherboard personally.. Well by "mine" I've got the Thermalright SB-E and it actually weighs more then the D14 from what I remember. It's been fine since I installed it and i'm using a HAF 932 which is less wide from what I remember also.

For transporting (In the car and such) make sure you lay it down, well short distance is alright but for long distance such as LAN parties or moving make sure it is laid down.. That WILL break it.

·
Old school gamer
1,889 Posts
With that case I would get a Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme or a Corsair H100 and go to town. Could also get the Water 2.0 Pro of H80, both of those are basically the same design AMD offers as their high end cooler for the 3850.

Tower coolers provide amazing cooling but they can be a serious pain to install and can limit RAM choices. The self contained cooling units deliver great performance, are easy to work with AND actually evacuate the heat from the case.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think that I will stick to buying the noctua nh-d14 because of it being quieter and a really good cooler for an upgrade, water cooling is going to be dearer than what i want to spend so the noctua is the perfect choice for me.

smile.gif

·
r/madlads
8,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-Matt View Post

Yeah, mine has been fine on my motherboard personally.. Well by "mine" I've got the Thermalright SB-E and it actually weighs more then the D14 from what I remember. It's been fine since I installed it and i'm using a HAF 932 which is less wide from what I remember also.

For transporting (In the car and such) make sure you lay it down, well short distance is alright but for long distance such as LAN parties or moving make sure it is laid down.. That WILL break it.
Nah, the SB-E is lighter than a NH-D14, the heaviest monster is a Deepcool Assassin if i recall correctly because it weighs no less than 1.378kg with both fans. Bolt two thick deltas down and watch the weight go up!
OR

But the NH-D14's price is ... about the same as a AIO so what's the point?
tongue.gif

And don't forget ...

·
Registered
930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

Look here before you start talking trash about someone make sure you know what your talking about idiot. I was talking about installing the All in one, not a custom loop dummy. You need to watch what comes out of your mouth also, when you address a grown man son.
mad.gif

Thank you gertruude at least you are a respectful person and know what people on this planet is talking about. You always get one ass whole to disrupt a thread without helping the Op out.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts