Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So..... I picked up a Belkin Conserve Insight (http://www.belkin.com/conserve/insight/). It's like the Kill-A-Watt and equipped with a 2-3 foot cable so you can put the hand meter on your desk or mount it. I picked it up for $29.99 at Fry's Electronics. My original plan was to pick up a Kill-A-Watt, until the extension cable on the Belkin sold me. If you don't have a Fry's you can buy it online from a lot of places or get it at your local Staples or Walmart.

So why am I doing this? Well mostly because everyone screams about how much power the FX-8150 consumes. I've seen many review sites show major power consumption readings. However, I wanted to see for myself and share with OCN my personal findings.
Side note: Ultimately I feel I'm sort re-posting the review site readings somewhat. Ha!
mad.gif

What did I change? I only changed the multiplier, Bus, and CPU voltage. My video cards aren't and weren't overclocked for this. All of my fans were at their max RPMS and my H80 was on setting three or high performance.
EDIT: 02-18-2012: So I couldn't resist. I overclocked my video cards a bit. Check for the BF3 photos below.

The other stuff? I couldn't think of an easier way to provide proof of use other than the photos listed below. If you need more proof or a video let me know. Keep in the mind the watts fluctuate so I tried to take the highest reading than the lower reading. If you would like to see the low readings let me know. OH! Yes.. only my tower is and was plugged into the meter.
tongue.gif

My system specs are listed below in detail in my sig but in short.....

CPU: AMD 8150
GPU1: GTX570
GPU2: GTX570
RAM Stick: 2
Hard Drive 1
SSD: 1
DVD Drive: 1
Case Fans(H80 Fans included): 6
Cathode Lights: 2
Water Cooler(H80): 1
Fan Controller: 1
Sound Card: 1
PSU: Corsair AX750

So.... take this meter with a grain of salt. Take my results the same way. But if the readings are true, I'm spending anywhere from $19-53 a month to run a stock or overclocked machine. I enjoyed doing this and if you have any questions or requests let me know. Thanks and enjoy.
thumb.gif

Below: Computer is off.

Below: Stock Clock Speed idle and Prime95 load

Below: Stock Clock Speed and two Stock GPU's with [email protected] load

Below: Stock Clock Speed with Cinebench load

Below: 4.6GHz Clock Speed idle and Prime95 load

Below: 4.8GHz Clock Speed, 210MHz Bus idle and Prime95 load

Below: 4.8GHz Clock Speed, 210MHz Bus and Stock GPU's idle and [email protected] load

02-18-2012
I said I didn't overclock my video cards but I just had to do it! Why not? Got BF3 Test?
thumb.gif

Below: 4.8GHz Clock Speed, 210MHz Bus and two 810MHz GTX 570s(1920x1200) with BF3 load
Damavand Peak Conquest + Standing in random part of the map with no action around me.

Damavand Peak Conquest + Standing in random part of the map with action around me. (It jumped!)

Damavand Peak Conquest + Aimless running

·
Registered
227 Posts
very nice review...but
jumping from 280w to 500w is tooo much
doh.gif
during load

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paramount View Post

very nice review...but
jumping from 280w to 500w is tooo much
doh.gif
during load
yeah no kidding. i was shocked... i wish i had a 2500k or something to compare. maybe when i run into more cash.

·
FinsUp!
2,227 Posts
+Rep

In Piledriver we trust..........

·
Banned
307 Posts
Its alot indeed. Phenom II is also quite bad in this regard, both Thuban and Deneb produce similar readings at their respective "max" clocks. Nehalem was similar also.

It's really Sandy Bridge that makes this look so bad. Intel did an amazing job on it and raised (or lowered) the bar.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmac73 View Post

+Rep
In Piledriver we trust..........
Ya can't wait. I hear the end of the year and it's an 8350? It was something from Wiki so take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I couldn't resist. I added BF3 photos with OC'd cards and one Folding photo @ 4.8ghz. Enjoy.
thumb.gif
Still under 750watts. This is kind of a good basis for proving sometimes you don't need a 1000w+ PSU.

·
FinsUp!
2,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenk83 View Post

I couldn't resist. I added BF3 photos with OC'd cards and one Folding photo @ 4.8ghz. Enjoy.
thumb.gif
Still under 750watts. This is kind of a good basis for proving sometimes you don't need a 1000w+ PSU.
Thanks again for the update. Really good info here and a perfect real world reflection with the 570 sli / oc'ed power consumption results.

Don't forget the efficiency of a good PSU as well, so that wall number isn't 100% representative.

·
High Clocker
3,684 Posts
Also thats at the wall, Work out what efficiency your PSU is and then calculate what the components are using.
And enable Cool & quite, That should drop the idle power usage down to 120ish W (well it did for me with my 2 GFX cards from 179W)

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgjet View Post

Also thats at the wall, Work out what efficiency your PSU is and then calculate what the components are using.
And enable Cool & quite, That should drop the idle power usage down to 120ish W (well it did for me with my 2 GFX cards from 179W)
Power company only cares about power draw at the outlet. Didn't Cool & Quiet hinders the performance (one of the flaw in early FX benchmark)?

·
FinsUp!
2,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpet-205 View Post

Power company only cares about power draw at the outlet. Didn't Cool & Quiet hinders the performance (one of the flaw in early FX benchmark)?
It's more a headroom thing than an extra 5 bucks a month. It's nice knowing he could probably get by with a very good 650W PSU even overclocked given the PSU's efficiency.

·
Registered
675 Posts
While yes you are charged by draw at the outlet but the power ratings of the PSUs are what it can put out into the computer. So 750W draw at the outlet at 80% efficiency means that PSU is actually only putting out 600W which means much more to go
thumb.gif
. For you to maximize 750W output you should be drawing 937.5W from the wall assuming 80% efficiency but I would not recommend running your PSU at 100%.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmac73 View Post

It's more a headroom thing than an extra 5 bucks a month. It's nice knowing he could probably get by with a very good 650W PSU even overclocked given the PSU's efficiency.
That is very true. Assuming at the outlet draws 600 W, an average efficiency (0.85) estimates an internal power draw of 510 W.

I'm one of those picky guy, extra $5 per month = $60 per year. In California it is more like $120 per year.

·
FinsUp!
2,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpet-205 View Post

That is very true. Assuming at the outlet draws 600 W, an average efficiency (0.85) estimates an internal power draw of 510 W.
I'm one of those picky guy, extra $5 per month = $60 per year. In California it is more like $120 per year.
Touche'

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've said it before in other posts, I love this chip, but damn it soaks the power. Here is mine at idle with C1E enabled and then full load JUST cpu, no video under prime. I break 730 watts with full load CPU and GPU's
Chip at 5.0Ghz, 1.56V This chip is pulling more then 420 watts alone under full load.

·
FinsUp!
2,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by almstsobur View Post

I've said it before in other posts, I love this chip, but damn it soaks the power. Here is mine at idle with C1E enabled and then full load JUST cpu, no video under prime. I break 730 watts with full load CPU and GPU's
Chip at 5.0Ghz, 1.56V This chip is pulling more then 420 watts alone under full load.
With only 5770's ?
blinksmiley.gif

1 - 20 of 37 Posts