21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmac73 View Post

With only 5770's ?
blinksmiley.gif
Yes, with Xfired 5770's that are overclocked under synthetic loads. I.E. dual GPU Furmark running with Prime95 on all 8 cores. Absolute max pull situation. Normal gaming conditions, I.E. BF3, I see 430-460 watts, less than the OP.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpet-205 View Post

That is very true. Assuming at the outlet draws 600 W, an average efficiency (0.85) estimates an internal power draw of 510 W.
I'm one of those picky guy, extra $5 per month = $60 per year. In California it is more like $120 per year.

it's safe to say that $80-$95 of that went to [email protected] .... ........ southern california edison collected nicely. during the summer i will not be folding AT ALL. either way that's another reason why I got the meter too. i wanted to see how much i was possibly giving to edison month/year. its a scary number per year just to overclock and run the machine a lot. it's in the $600-700 a year range for 24/7 use of course. it's still an ugly number to give away.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by almstsobur View Post

I've said it before in other posts, I love this chip, but damn it soaks the power. Here is mine at idle with C1E enabled and then full load JUST cpu, no video under prime. I break 730 watts with full load CPU and GPU's
Chip at 5.0Ghz, 1.56V This chip is pulling more then 420 watts alone under full load.
dang dude, that's craziness! are you GPU's OC'd?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenk83 View Post

dang dude, that's craziness! are you GPU's OC'd?
They are both just Factory OC editions, nothing crazy. I think stock is 850/1200 these are 900/1250. Really the GPU's are not bad, its the CPU! I'm someone with a 5Ghz 8150 and better cards could easily break my power load if they did dual GPU furmark and prime-ed all 8 cores at the same time, as well
smile.gif
I tell the woman the high electric bills are from her electric blanket she never turns off
thumb.gif

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Quote:

They are both just Factory OC editions, nothing crazy. I think stock is 850/1200 these are 900/1250. Really the GPU's are not bad, its the CPU! I'm someone with a 5Ghz 8150 and better cards could easily break my power load if they did dual GPU furmark and prime-ed all 8 cores at the same time, as well
smile.gif
I tell the woman the high electric bills are from her electric blanket she never turns off
thumb.gif
hahahaha that's funny.

off topic, what cooling system do you have? i just have an h80 and im running it at 4.8ghz, 1.512v, 22.5x, and 214 bus. my core temps jump from 27c to 41c to 58c in like 15 seconds on prime95 load. do you get this? am i doing something wrong? bf3 has crashed once or twice. so i think it's unstable?
[EDIT] on the cooling issue i saw in another post you have a water-cooling system. so never mind answering that. thanks

of course, with all this watt talk i wasn't looking at my meter. maybe im going above what i can do psu wise for stability.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
188 Posts
Quote:

hahahaha that's funny.
off topic, what cooling system do you have? i just have an h80 and im running it at 4.8ghz, 1.512v, 22.5x, and 214 bus. my core temps jump from 27c to 41c to 58c in like 15 seconds on prime95 load. do you get this? am i doing something wrong? bf3 has crashed once or twice. so i think it's unstable?
[EDIT] on the cooling issue i saw in another post you have a water-cooling system. so never mind answering that. thanks
of course, with all this watt talk i wasn't looking at my meter. maybe im going above what i can do psu wise for stability.
thumb.gif
Yeah, i'm on a custom loop, 1200LPH pump, Ultima XT block with a 360 & 240 radiator. At the moment I don't have any cooling issues, but I am just cooling the CPU and my 240 Rad alone wasn't enough. I recently added the 360 Rad. No question 4.8+ on these takes some pretty serious cooling. It was a big Voltage jump from stable at 4.8 to stable at 5.0Ghz for me. I just wanted that magic 5.0Ghz number though so it was worth the extra rad. I hope it's enough to add a single 7000 series GPU to the loop soon.

I do personally think you are pushing past what an H80 can do though, if you hit high 50's that quick .. I can't even hit high 50's right now if I prime for an Hr or 2. Run HW monitor during BF3, see what you are hitting max. However gaming isn't usually nearly as much draw as benching. I only hit 47-48 CPU core playing BF3. It's going to be hard to tell if your stable though .. if you can't really bench.

If I were you and your board supports it, I would cut down to 4 or 6 cores until you get better cooling. Most games are not going to use 8 anyway, should still be able to run a high clock without toasting the chip and you should be able to bench and test for stability.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Quote:

Yeah, i'm on a custom loop, 1200LPH pump, Ultima XT block with a 360 & 240 radiator. At the moment I don't have any cooling issues, but I am just cooling the CPU and my 240 Rad alone wasn't enough. I recently added the 360 Rad. No question 4.8+ on these takes some pretty serious cooling. It was a big Voltage jump from stable at 4.8 to stable at 5.0Ghz for me. I just wanted that magic 5.0Ghz number though so it was worth the extra rad. I hope it's enough to add a single 7000 series GPU to the loop soon.
I do personally think you are pushing past what an H80 can do though, if you hit high 50's that quick .. I can't even hit high 50's right now if I prime for an Hr or 2. Run HW monitor during BF3, see what you are hitting max.
man it was a big voltage jump. i'm able to do 4.6GHz at 1.46. 1.513GHz is a big jump. and to clarify... it's the each core temp that can't go past 61c. not the actual cpu temp correct?

lol, no no no... i have no intention of going to 5.0GHz. i wasn't expecting to hit 4.8GHz. if my temps don't go down im going back to 4.6GHz.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
188 Posts
Quote:

man it was a big voltage jump. i'm able to do 4.6GHz at 1.46. 1.513GHz is a big jump. and to clarify... it's the each core temp that can't go past 61c. not the actual cpu temp correct?
lol, no no no... i have no intention of going to 5.0GHz. i wasn't expecting to hit 4.8GHz. if my temps don't go down im going back to 4.6GHz.
thumb.gif
That's my understanding, however my system before the addition of the 360 would auto throttle the CPU no matter what my BIOS settings were if the CPU die temp broke 68-69C, even if the cores were below 61C.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidiaftw12 View Post

Hmm. Would like to see IBT + furmark, but I think your psu would explode.
no no no... lol everything would explode... hahaha. i just want to see what i can get out of my rig with what i got. kids at my local computer (frys) store rave about my processor being able to hit 4.8GHz easy on liquid. as the facts are coming down it's looking scary. im able to hit 80-90fps depending on the map.

·
Premium Member
3,501 Posts
Not really shocked, but still a lot of watts, very nice review.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Quote:

I do personally think you are pushing past what an H80 can do though, if you hit high 50's that quick .. I can't even hit high 50's right now if I prime for an Hr or 2. Run HW monitor during BF3, see what you are hitting max. However gaming isn't usually nearly as much draw as benching. I only hit 47-48 CPU core playing BF3. It's going to be hard to tell if your stable though .. if you can't really bench.
If I were you and your board supports it, I would cut down to 4 or 6 cores until you get better cooling. Most games are not going to use 8 anyway, should still be able to run a high clock without toasting the chip and you should be able to bench and test for stability.
i was able to play bf3 with no crashes. it didn't get higher than 54c per hwmon. i played metro and noshahr canals and it performed well. but like you said. its hard to say if i can't bench.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mount another PSU on the outside of your case. Use 2 power supplies. Cheapos work if you know what you're doing. I have a couple of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817101044 in my system, 1 x 6 pin from each going to my GTX 465 that has an antec 630 kuhler attached to it. (400w draw max OC'd) The PSU's are both modified and fitted with 120mm fans. The DVD burner wouldn't fit so I mounted it to the side of the case. Would have the top if I had any other case. The top is occupied. I'd have to remove the handle. 9 fans, a fan controller (8) 4 hdds, and a Phenom 820 OC'd to 3.5ghz @ 9-9-9-27 powered by http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817101047. I don't know what my power draw is, I just know I killed it.

I could upgrade to the 8120 now just changing mb and cpu and achieve much better performance to price ratio than by switched to intel. And if I get a good 800w for 80~100? I can kill it again.

Just a thought.

*edit* well, I have to add 60~100 for the liquid cooler for the OC, but you'd want that on intel too. I'd get the h100 and mount it on the left bottom side of the case. Yep, it'll look funnier than it already does.(and be a pain to disassemble) But it'll all be attached, quiet and cool! On the flipside, the difference is 140 bucks for the 2500k and a decent mb. Still gonna need everything the amd machine needs though. And adding another psu to your system is a pretty good idea IMO.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts