Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I`m not a prolific poster but thought Id pop in and give those who might be interested some info, as a way of saying thanks for the info that I've gained from here in helping me to decide on this gamble

Ive been running an old amd x3 in an Asus M4A8 gtd and have slapped an 8320e in it, here are my initial results, I cant push any further as I need better cooling (old zalman 9700 I think) but I'm sure that there is more to come with a better cooler.
just a quick test really to see if it was viable and it seems to have done ok with the initial testing but like I said better cooling would I'm sure put 4.7 within reach

I hope this is of some use to those of you with older kit and sitting on the fence about an upgrade. All I did was use MX 4 compound on the vrm/nrthbridge heatsink (its cool) and cpu (its hot) this is all in a new Xigmatek midguard III with 3 x 120 mm fans and a 90mm fan on the back of the Cpu/vrm area (gets kinda toasty) Also it doesn't like voltage much but that could be my old cooler or the vrms
All I need now is better cooling (water I hope) then I can push it a bit harder
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hey I maybe completely wrong here since the "E" versions seem to have a lower tdp. Are you using the same motherboard I don't know much about that board but I know a lot of older boards had problems with 8core fx chips. The 8350 i know really pulled so serious watts when overlocked. You may wanna put a fan blowing on the VRM area. you may already know all this already but that's a nice oc on an older board. On an m5a97 heatsinked one all I could get was 4.5 on a 4100 and 8350. The asus CHFV though I was able to get 8350 5 ghz water cooled which your not far off good job:thumb:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, yes the "E" series is a lower tdp but they seem to get it partially by down-clocking the base frequency a bit, together with their other improvements to this series cpu.

Yes it is the old Asus M4A89 series motherboard Im using and there is a fan blowing on the rear of the vrm/cpu area on the mobo although Ive never been keen on using this type of method to help achieve a overclock, as it seems to lower cpu temp readings a bit more than I find realistic but it is needed for the vrm`s. even though the heatsink on the front of the vrm`s is quite cool to the touch.
I flashed it to the bulldozer bios some time ago from stock bios and it seemed to lose me about 500mhz from my old x3 cpu overclock and it seems a bit quirky with voltage control now.

There were a lot of throttling issues with the FX series on this board, above 4Ghz every couple of minutes it wold throttle the cpu down repeatedly, its why I hadn't upgraded earlier but seeing this cpu`s lower tdp I thought it worth a gamble and it seems to have paid off.
I just need to get some water on this but that will take a while as I'm disabled and for every £20 or so I spend on this pc means roughly about two weeks of only one meal a day to fund it (6`1" 14 St, now 11 St) you wont believe how cheaply I've put this rig together
biggrin.gif
so with water I should get down to below 10.5 which I really want to avoid.

The whole point of posting here is to let people know that with this series of cpu it is possible to get ancient kit humming along without spending £££ on a 990 chipset when the old 890 chipset seems quite capable (they are very simmilar).
Well i gtg now my son is staying over for the first time with me in 3 yrs (B**CH!!) and this weekend Im going to put on some weight, he loves chocolate fudge cake and I have to help him demolish 3 of them before sunday night
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
157 Posts
Nice, I have one arriving in the mail today.. I have been building a replacement PC for some of my "old dogs" -- I was using an FX-4130 in my Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5.. but I couldn't help but notice the lower TDP on the FX-8320E. I will be playing around with it the next few weeks. I have pretty good air cooling & will be using Gelid GC-Extreme. I dropped my temperatures in the FX-4130 at full load by 8-9C by switching from Arctic Silver Ceramique 2 to Gelid GC-Extreme. You could possibly drop a few C from the MX-4.. but that's pretty good stuff as-is from what I read.

I am debating asking my wife for the NZXT Kraken X61 for Christmas for the FX-8320E.. I think it may allow me to reach a few clicks up from air cooling.

Thanks for the insight thus far.

·
Premium Member
4,607 Posts

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrasparc View Post

Nice, I have one arriving in the mail today.. I have been building a replacement PC for some of my "old dogs" -- I was using an FX-4130 in my Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5.. but I couldn't help but notice the lower TDP on the FX-8320E. I will be playing around with it the next few weeks. I have pretty good air cooling & will be using Gelid GC-Extreme. I dropped my temperatures in the FX-4130 at full load by 8-9C by switching from Arctic Silver Ceramique 2 to Gelid GC-Extreme. You could possibly drop a few C from the MX-4.. but that's pretty good stuff as-is from what I read.

I am debating asking my wife for the NZXT Kraken X61 for Christmas for the FX-8320E.. I think it may allow me to reach a few clicks up from air cooling.

Thanks for the insight thus far.
http://www.swiftech.com/H240-X.aspx

I would pay another 10 bucks and pick this kit up. The radiator is copper and not aluminum so it cools better. It will also allow you to expand if you ever want another radiator/gpu block.

·
Premium Member
4,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalistoval View Post

As you requested kinda late.

It's never too late. THank you very much. It is interesting, that from P5 to P2, the multis are a bit lower compared to 8320. And P1 has voltage higher than the max on my 8320, which means my 8320 is already running like a 95W, but at 3.5Ghz.

Which also means, that if the future i decide to buy a 2nd 8-core as Vishera, maybe i should buy a 8320 again, hoping it's a low leaker, in order to avoid having to find again the voltage for each P-state.

Repped, this helped me a lot.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I dont understand this fully yet, at the moment I'm running it at 1.206v in bios at 4 ghz It appears to be 10 runs very high stable. What exactly does these p states mean I was able to reach some clocks with lesser voltage than my previous 8320. Give me the water down break down lol.

·
Premium Member
4,607 Posts
Quote:

I dont understand this fully yet, at the moment I'm running it at 1.206v in bios at 4 ghz It appears to be 10 runs very high stable. What exactly does these p states mean I was able to reach some clocks with lesser voltage than my previous 8320. Give me the water down break down lol.
Oh, it's nothing that should concern you. The P-States are simply the intermediate frequencies that the CPU runs at with Cool N Quiet.

For my 8320 they are: [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] P1=18[email protected] [email protected]

(all undervolted obviously).

So, while the 8320 runs P5 at multi 10 (200x10=2000Mhz), the 8320e runs P5 at x9 (200x9=1800Mhz) and so on.

There is nothing to worry about. Simply, i like round numbers in voltages.So, should i buy an 8320E (i want a spare part CPU, in case i burn the main one), i 'd have to lower voltages compared to my current configuration, which means, having to do all tests again for all P-States. Which means maybe i 'd have to ruin my round numbers in voltage. Still, the "e" gives you a warranty that it will be a low leaker. So i will have to examine the P-States later to see possible undervolts for them.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
4,607 Posts
Quote:

Oh I see Like for example my [email protected] vs Your [email protected]
Yes, that's the turbo and i have undervolted it, but the multi is the same. I was more interested in the differences in the other multis. P6 is the same (7, so 1400Mhz idle). From P5 to P2, the 8320e runs at lower multi (frequency) compared to 8320. This what i wanted to verify. I wanted to see if the multis are the same or lower. Now i know.

1.206 for 4Ghz is really good.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I had like 4.6 at around 1.32v or 1.35 dont remember I did realize 1 thing. That is all the digi settings on my board that I had for my 8320 where way to overkill for this 8320e. I am able to save thermals with lower digi settings I will update all this as soon as I reach super solid clocks and voltages

·
Registered
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quesoblanco View Post

http://www.swiftech.com/H240-X.aspx

I would pay another 10 bucks and pick this kit up. The radiator is copper and not aluminum so it cools better. It will also allow you to expand if you ever want another radiator/gpu block.
I've already purchased the Kraken X61 ( thread - http://www.overclock.net/t/1519949/overclocking-the-fx-8320e-with-a-gigabyte-990fxa-ud5-rev3-0). Sorry, not interested in Swiftech products anymore.. I was curious why they were so hard to find in the USA.. only to find out they pulled all products from the US & fled in light of a patent lawsuit.. Obviously they are in violation of a real patent & are not interested in expanding their market share. I will investigate other solutions if the time comes to build a bigger system. I have other computers I could move the X61 too.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Quote:

I've already purchased the Kraken X61 ( thread - http://www.overclock.net/t/1519949/overclocking-the-fx-8320e-with-a-gigabyte-990fxa-ud5-rev3-0). Sorry, not interested in Swiftech products anymore.. I was curious why they were so hard to find in the USA.. only to find out they pulled all products from the US & fled in light of a patent lawsuit.. Obviously they are in violation of a real patent & are not interested in expanding their market share. I will investigate other solutions if the time comes to build a bigger system. I have other computers I could move the X61 too.
If I understand correctly Asetek did not have a legitimate case and was patent trolling several manufacturers including Swiftech.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenC View Post

If I understand correctly Asetek did not have a legitimate case and was patent trolling several manufacturers including Swiftech.
Legitimate case or not, all companies involved have pulled their products indefinitely in the US.. Cooler Master, Cool-IT & Swiftech. Not saying I believe what this company doing is right, but it seems strange that Cooler Master would not go after them.. as they are likely armed with more money.

Anyways, back to my point.. I don't plan to expand the loop to cool my GPU & blow its warranty for defacing it... so the Kraken X61 is fine. I am fully aware I could have bought an H220-X from eBay or NCIX.. but shipping from foreign countries starts to pile up well over that "Just $10 extra" as stated above.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Quote:

Asetek was patent trolling. They went after swiftech because of having a pump/res combo. Swiftech makes quality products. They only pulled the h220 out of the USA. The new h240x from swiftech are in the USA and built better. They have a newer block and an actual reservoir like real water cooling. In the end if youre happy then that is what counts.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quesoblanco View Post

Asetek was patent trolling. They went after swiftech because of having a pump/res combo. Swiftech makes quality products. They only pulled the h220 out of the USA. The new h240x from swiftech are in the USA and built better. They have a newer block and an actual reservoir like real water cooling. In the end if youre happy then that is what counts.
I see, I don't think the H220-X & H240-X was released when I was looking at them a month ago.. but I could be whistling dixie. Good to know, I will keep that in mind if I need another. Thanks for the explanation.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.