Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys.

When i run smal data set test on Prime95 or OCCT my motherboard multiplyer is going down and up.
For example from 200x20 is going to 200x14.5 .
I know that my mobo isnt the greatest for overclocking and no i didnt instaled pasive cooler on mosfets

Motherboard : M5A78L-M/USB3
PSU : Antec Earthwatts EA-500D 500W
RAM : Kingston 6 GB ( 2+4 )
CPU: FX 8320
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contact 21 ( In Push and pool config )
GPU: nVidia GTX 650 1GB ( DirectCU by ASUS )
CASE: MS Hulk Gaming (Cheap one)
- 2 front fans intake
- 2 top fans intake
- cpu cooler is pushing towards rear
- 1 rear fan as exhaust

These are mine bios settings so if you see anything that i need to change pls reply guys. Thx in adwance
smile.gif

·
Riding on the edge
3,262 Posts
Correct, your mobo is well.... 4+1 Phase count, non HSd VRM with a max TPD of 140w. We'll leave it as not good.
Combine this with no active cooling for CPU socket and VRM, again asking for trouble.

CPU cooler is meant to cool a quad core (not enough heat pipes) plus only has 92mm fans?
Only guessing case fans may be of stock quality (no air movement) as well.

You're also running miss matched Ram. AMD prefers 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64GB Dram kits but this is not the issue here.

You don't mention your temps while under load with Prime95.
My first guess is system may be throttling due to temps.

Post a SS with HWInfo64 (free) fully expanded while under load with P95 like this
and we'll see what's going on a bit better.

·
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast
3,103 Posts
no cooling on the VRMs is an easy way to triggle VRM based throttling on that board.

One way to kinda prove this is to get a high airflow fan, CAREFULLY hold it, and run a stress test to see when it throttles. Then, hold the fan to the VRMs and see if the throttling does not occur, or if it reduces it a lot.

This test is best done with the rig setup as an open bench on an unused box.

I generally run open bench, I simply have motherboard standoffs installed on all 9 locations of my ATX board so the board is spaced to allow the backside to breathe a bit

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello guys thx for quick replys . @The Sandman there are screenshots you wanted
smile.gif
i took them after 10 mins of burning test
smile.gif

So what you think about temperatures and other parameters ?
Thx in adwance
smile.gif

·
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast
3,103 Posts
Is your power plan in windows confirmed set to high performance?

Your clocks are not staying at 4GHz.

56*C is not a max temp, so that should be fine. Keeping temps below 55*C is recommended when you are closer to 5GHz, but certainly not an issue at only 4GHz. Considering package temp never went beyond 50*C, temperatures are certainly not a limiting factor in why its throttling.

You must still have some sort of power saving feature on, whether its in the BIOS or inside windows

1 - 5 of 5 Posts