Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 and I bought new cpu - AMD FX 8320.

Now I have problem with stability of cpu frequency and voltage. When I run Prime95/IBT cpu voltage and freq drops down to 1.2V and 2.9GHz. All power saving options in Bios was disabled. What's the problem?

This motherboard should be enough for this cpu and give to it enough voltage. When I set cpu to 2.5GHz the problem is gone and frequency stay stable at 2.5GHz. While I had Phenom II X4 955BE I testi it on 1.55V and frequency and voltage are ultra stable - no Vdrop and anything else.
As such, he used a lot more energy then the current processor FX 8320.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almin94 View Post

Hi,

I have ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 and I bought new cpu - AMD FX 8320.

Now I have problem with stability of cpu frequency and voltage. When I run Prime95/IBT cpu voltage and freq drops down to 1.2V and 2.9GHz. All power saving options in Bios was disabled. What's the problem?

This motherboard should be enough for this cpu and give to it enough voltage. When I set cpu to 2.5GHz the problem is gone and frequency stay stable at 2.5GHz. While I had Phenom II X4 955BE I testi it on 1.55V and frequency and voltage are ultra stable - no Vdrop and anything else.
As such, he used a lot more energy then the current processor FX 8320.
every mobo has vdroop, you must account for this when setting the voltages, and they can drop all they want, is it stable when drops?

also im not fully understanding. its downclocking?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it is downclocking. lowers the frequency for a couple of seconds and then returns/resets it to normal, and this process is repeating.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Quote:

Yes, it is downclocking. lowers the frequency for a couple of seconds and then returns/resets it to normal, and this process is repeating.
this works a little easier if you have rig setup in sig..

is it cooled well? its possibly thermal throttle?

you say "it drops to 2.9ghz" what is it overclocked to?
Quote:

he used a lot more energy then the current processor FX 8320.
he who?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MBO: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3

GPU: EVGA GTX 770 ACX

CPU: AMD FX 8320

CPU COOLER: Corsair H60 (2013 Edition)

CASE: Cooler Master HAF 922
(Fans: 3x 230mm, 2x 120mm)

RAM: Kingston HyperX blu. 8GB 1600MHz

PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower XT 775W

HDD: WD Caviar Black 500GB

MONITOR: Philips 247E3L LED

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by NKrader View Post

this works a little easier if you have rig setup in sig..

is it cooled well? its possibly thermal throttle?

you say "it drops to 2.9ghz" what is it overclocked to?
he who?
I don't know if it's thermal throttle, that is why I ask here...

Yes, it drops to 2.9GHz and voltage drops to 1.2V. It isn't overclocked.

he who? - Phenom 955 at 1.55V

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
According to Asus site, only bulldozer series is supported and with a beta bios. Are you using the bulldozer compatible bios? It might help you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I use new Bios version, but same thing with Beta 3030 and stable 2029 version.

Btw, MB set CPU/NB voltage to 1.58V, maybe wrong readings? Otherwise, that is too high...

·
Banned
210 Posts
This is exactly what happened to me, it turned out I hadn't turned off all of the power saving options in the bios
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmuckley View Post

that's too high for cpu/nb on air
Are you monitoring your temps/vcore voltage? It seems like thermal throttling to me.
gtd pro has "LLC" in BIOS
Load Line Calibration=No vdroop + .02 Vrise
wink.gif
LLC enabled.

I can't lower the CPU/NB voltage. While I had Phenom 955BE, default CPU/NB voltage 1.100V.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ningi07 View Post

This is exactly what happened to me, it turned out I hadn't turned off all of the power saving options in the bios
rolleyes.gif
How do you think? What happens when you disable turbo and power saving options in the bios?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Hi.
What Schmuckley says about thermal issues. What temps do you get?
That cooler is not good enough. And CPU/NB is way too high like it was already mentioned. Past 1.4v on air is pointless. Clear CMOS and see if things come back to normal. Did you flash the BIOS with an OC profile?

Turbo and power saving options are restrictive, so you disable them. They may cause issues where the CPU wants to run at a high freq, but the power saving prevents it. Fans should run 100%, and set windows for best performance.

·
Ryzen Torturer
649 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstalker420 View Post

I have this MoBo. It does NOT support the 8xxxFX CPU's and the throttling is one of the "bugs". I was for a long time considering an 8320FX to replace my 1055T. You might find that the default CPU/NB volts are to HIGH and maybe the CPU VCore as well.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1326459/m4a89td-pro-and-a-fx-6100-fx-8320-test-results

Thanx.
Thank you.

Yes, default cpu/nb voltage are to high. I can change Vcore and it's ok. http://valid.canardpc.com/5u34dm

There is no way to fix that "bug" with vdrop?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts