Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an AMD FX8320E on a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2 motherboard have read people easily running 4.2 , Icant get above 3.6. Plenty ofcooling. Maybe someoe running this could send thier profile or share settings. Thnx in advace..

·
Top kek
3,555 Posts
This is not really descriptive.

What is your CPU voltage?
What RAM?
What is your cooling?
What temps do you get under load?
How exactly you cant get it to run above 3.6?

·
Politically incorrect
9,222 Posts
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2
That's your problem, replace the board with something of higher quality and you should get better clocks.

·
Premium Member
10,027 Posts
It's just too much processor to overclock for that motherboard.

Vrms aren't much and they have no heatsinks. Only rated for the 95 watt FX's, so that tells you something.

·
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast
2,739 Posts
^^^ 8320E is a 95watt chip.

OP, share pictures or snaps (giga should have an option to save bios snaps to USB flashdrive)

Start with something known very simple. set cpu voltage to 1.25 volts, cpu multiplier to 15 (3ghz core), northbridge to 10x (2000mhz) and HT link to 2400mhz. Ram to 1333 or 1600, what ever it defaults to.

Test in windows to be sure these settings took place, using HWinfo64.

Once verified these settings took place and stuck, save this clock profile inside the BIOS. consider this your baseline.

Now go back into windows, use HWinfo64, and leave it idling for 5-10 minutes. Note resting voltages for vcore, ram, northbridge (might be labeled VIN2), 12v rail, 5v rail, and 3.3v rail.

Now hit it hard with a blend prime95. Remember, this should still be the low voltage 3ghz core setup. Again, watch voltages and temps. This time, simple read the max after an hour. Now note the averages. FX chips will sometimes post a peak way above what you expect (example, real max voltage spike might be 1.36, but HWinfo64 sees a single one time spike to 1.4, this is where averages help out a lot).

Once you figure out the differences between BIOS settings and actual (as close as software can see, at least), use this information, and because of your motherboard, Id recommend a max of 1.4v vcore.

Use the ram voltage to find out if BIOS settings need a boost at all. Use the 12/5/3.3 rail voltages as a sign if things are getting hit hard. If 12v and 5v rails suffer, Id go nowhere beyond 1.35 vcore, and focus on getting ram and northbridge speeds as high as possible. They will make more impact when core frequency is blocked from finding its true temp limit.

·
Premium Member
10,027 Posts
^^^ 8320E is a 95watt chip.

OP, share pictures or snaps (giga should have an option to save bios snaps to USB flashdrive)

Start with something known very simple. set cpu voltage to 1.25 volts, cpu multiplier to 15 (3ghz core), northbridge to 10x (2000mhz) and HT link to 2400mhz. Ram to 1333 or 1600, what ever it defaults to.

Test in windows to be sure these settings took place, using HWinfo64.

Once verified these settings took place and stuck, save this clock profile inside the BIOS. consider this your baseline.

Now go back into windows, use HWinfo64, and leave it idling for 5-10 minutes. Note resting voltages for vcore, ram, northbridge (might be labeled VIN2), 12v rail, 5v rail, and 3.3v rail.

Now hit it hard with a blend prime95. Remember, this should still be the low voltage 3ghz core setup. Again, watch voltages and temps. This time, simple read the max after an hour. Now note the averages. FX chips will sometimes post a peak way above what you expect (example, real max voltage spike might be 1.36, but HWinfo64 sees a single one time spike to 1.4, this is where averages help out a lot).

Once you figure out the differences between BIOS settings and actual (as close as software can see, at least), use this information, and because of your motherboard, Id recommend a max of 1.4v vcore.

Use the ram voltage to find out if BIOS settings need a boost at all. Use the 12/5/3.3 rail voltages as a sign if things are getting hit hard. If 12v and 5v rails suffer, Id go nowhere beyond 1.35 vcore, and focus on getting ram and northbridge speeds as high as possible. They will make more impact when core frequency is blocked from finding its true temp limit.
Yes I'm aware of that - at stock clocks it's a 95 watt chip which is running 1 core at up to 4ghz and the rest at 3.2 ghz with stock volts around 1.15 to 1.2 - The huge difference in base and boost clocks is what allows it to fit into the 95 watt tdp envelope. At 4 ghz all core , it's going to be very close to the power draw of the 125 watt TDP chips.
At 1.4 volts that chip will pull at least 160 watts at the top clock it can get at that voltage under prime 95 ( I'd bet it's closer to 180 honestly). That board don't have the beans for it. ( only 3+1 vrm and 4 pin cpu power).
I'm going to guess that the bios has a hard limit on what it can deliver, just like the later versions of the 990 UD3's

·
Politically incorrect
9,222 Posts
Yes I'm aware of that - at stock clocks it's a 95 watt chip which is running 1 core at up to 4ghz and the rest at 3.2 ghz with stock volts around 1.15 to 1.2 - The huge difference in base and boost clocks is what allows it to fit into the 95 watt tdp envelope. At 4 ghz all core , it's going to be very close to the power draw of the 125 watt TDP chips.
At 1.4 volts that chip will pull at least 160 watts at the top clock it can get at that voltage under prime 95 ( I'd bet it's closer to 180 honestly). That board don't have the beans for it. ( only 3+1 vrm and 4 pin cpu power).
I'm going to guess that the bios has a hard limit on what it can deliver, just like the later versions of the 990 UD3's
I have the same board in my server with a 955BE and I consider it good enough for a home server but I wouldn't consider putting an FX8xxx chip in it.

·
Premium Member
10,027 Posts
I have the same board in my server with a 955BE and I consider it good enough for a home server but I wouldn't consider putting an FX8xxx chip in it.
First hand knowledge is best.

I have an Asrock extreme 3 990 board that is 4+1 phase with heatsinks and it strained like a fat man on the pot with a stock 8xxx.

·
Politically incorrect
9,222 Posts
First hand knowledge is best.

I have an Asrock extreme 3 990 board that is 4+1 phase with heatsinks and it strained like a fat man on the pot with a stock 8xxx.
Actually I must correct myself and admit that I have the Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 but, in effect, it's the same board as the Gigabyte one. It's got the same 3+1 low end VRM and I consider these 78L boards barely above OEM brands and I've looked into using an FX in mine for more power and decided against it. If I need more power for encoding I will get a Zen system because this board is just terrible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts