Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first time ocing. I've read too much and it seems so simple but I ran into problems.
1st attempt: I went and tried fsb instead of multiplier. Not a single MHz worked. Default 200. I tried 201, 205, 210, 215 max. I even bumped NB voltage by +0.1v, default 1.2v. With such failure, I reset everything and went to multiplier.
2nd attempt: Default 20x. I bummed to 21x and realized its not even stable at stock voltage. What the hell?? People say they get to 22x, 24x at stock voltage, I feel stupid. I went ahead and raised the Vcore to 1.250(fail), 1.325(fail), I got scared so I determine to max at 1.425v. Finally it was stable at 21x. Thus I went up and tried 22x. I can't not believe this. 22x at 1.425v is not even stable, I literally wana smack it with my fist -.-. Sadly I accepted this to be my max. I didn't give up yet!
3rd attempt: Fsb + multiplier. My worst nightmare. I just can't find a combination that past 4.2ghz. That is, within temp range. Max temp for fx8350 is 61 Celsius and I literally hit a 62 Celsius 3 seconds without looking and ****ted my pant.....Long story short, I'm clueless with fsb.

I can't not! Can not accept the fact that 4.2ghz is all I can get. Idle=18 Celsius, load=40celsius with Vcore set 1.425v. I enabled all power features after stable 4.2. Vcore now is in range of .90v-1.392v.

Will someone please guide me in the right direction?? I'm am 100% sure I did something wrong as people have gotten 4.4 with only 1.35v, etc much lower than 1.425v

Cpu: fx8350 with hyper 212 evo cooling + push/pull SP fan config
Mb: ga-78lmt-usb3, yes 4+1 phase.

Thanks a bunch!! I really want 4.4, but if I can go 4.3, I'll be satisfied
biggrin.gif
(4.5 is a dream as I only have air cooling)

·
Da Boss
1,894 Posts
I'm willing to bet that your motherboard that's holding you back. Also, you could have just lost the silicone lottery and got a bum chip.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusRed View Post

I'm willing to bet that your motherboard that's holding you back. Also, you could have just lost the silicone lottery and got a bum chip.
That's the least i want to hear
frown.gif
Such hassle to rma when not 100% sure, or change mb :/ if that's the last resort, I'll stick with 4.2 for now

·
Registered
363 Posts
yea mine runs 4.44 off just the fsb and basically stock voltage on extreme llc (so under load it actually hits about 1.42, and peaked at 1.44 last stability test i did)

i like this way rather than the multiplier as my rams running fast and stable along with everything else

for me, this is as far as i am willing to go until i upgrade the cooler further

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredismee View Post

yea mine runs 4.44 off just the fsb and basically stock voltage on extreme llc (so under load it actually hits about 1.42, and peaked at 1.44 last stability test i did)

i like this way rather than the multiplier as my rams running fast and stable along with everything else

Extreme llc? what voltage did u set for the Vcore? I tried normal llc and my voltage skyrocked when booted into os. Scared me.......so I set to auto and didn't bother touching it. Also, when you increased fsb, did u decrease fsb frequency and memory (close to 2200mhz and 1600mhz) or did u let it rise? Thank you!

·
Registered
363 Posts
1.33 vcore

and nb is running at 2450mhz, and i gotta look at memory but somehwere around 2000mhz

but my ram kit and mobo are rated a bit different than yours

i have been thinking about a 6hr+ stability test, but has passed 10+ at 30min-1hr so far
just in order to do that id need to take it to the basement where its a bit cooler now that temps where i live are rising

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, those seems pretty high, don't think my ram will handle it. But I will definitely play with extreme llc and fsb one last time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by clao View Post

Look at my thread and see if you have the following options turn off/on. http://www.overclock.net/t/1591955/first-time-overclocking-fx-8350

also if you want 4.5ghz you should set vcore to 1.48 most 8350 can get up to 4.5 with that.
I'll definitely look at those thread and links. My mb has a warning for voltage passing 1.425, colored in red. Should I ignore and try as high as it can go with temp in range?

·
Registered
363 Posts
idk, and the thing i like about the low vcore and extreme llc is that my idle temps are basically room temperature

i would think that if all temps are in a safe range it would be fine, but i am no expert.

i never saw any warning on my mobo, and have set it to 1.5 without killing it during tests. (they are very different boards though)

i would say to shoot for a stable 4.4 before 4.5 too, i feel like its a bigger jump than most people make it on the coolers we are using. (i know they're different)
^watch for throttling. you will know you took something too far if you pay attention.

My original goal was 4.6, but it was a bit out of reach.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not legit warning but the voltage are colored red to super red. But yea, ill shoot for 4.4. Thank you all for the info. I'll get it to work once I've got time.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo7050 View Post

I'll definitely look at those thread and links. My mb has a warning for voltage passing 1.425, colored in red. Should I ignore and try as high as it can go with temp in range?
I think you should not avoid the warning it is there for a reason. I would suggest neither getting a different board in the range of $100-$200.00 if that is the case.

·
MMO Enthusiast
923 Posts
That motherboard is too basic to overclock the FX8350, don´t expect too much from it. You should´ve bought at least a 970 chipset motherboard to pair with your cpu
tongue.gif

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Only if I knew, I definitely would of went for a higher end motherboard. But stuck with it, so just trying to get as much as it can poop :/

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by clao View Post

Look at my thread and see if you have the following options turn off/on. http://www.overclock.net/t/1591955/first-time-overclocking-fx-8350

also if you want 4.5ghz you should set vcore to 1.48 most 8350 can get up to 4.5 with that.
Thank you! I slowly increased vcore to 1.4625v, increased NB +.10v, and bumped fsb to 210 while keeping everything else the same for 4.2ghz. AND ITS stable ^_^. I tried so many combination, and finally 4.4ghz.

Thanks to Clao and Jaredismee! I may able to get 4.5, but 56C at load is risky.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo7050 View Post

Thank you! I slowly increased vcore to 1.4625v, increased NB +.10v, and bumped fsb to 210 while keeping everything else the same for 4.2ghz. AND ITS stable ^_^. I tried so many combination, and finally 4.4ghz.

Thanks to Clao and Jaredismee! I may able to get 4.5, but 56C at load is risky.
congratz. If you are unhappy about the temp if your case supports it go for a coolermaster hyper 212 evo (highly recommended by everyone). or you can get mine thermaltek NIc C4 (I highly suggest u do not get this one as it requires 2 ppl to get it install) or basically any high end Air cooler should be good.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Awkwardly, I installed Hyper 212 evo before i tried ocing. As long as it doesnt reach 61c, ill take it
biggrin.gif
I dont think ill be running intensive programs 24/7, lets hope it will handle the heats

1 - 19 of 19 Posts