Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I keep seeing high temperatures on my 8350 Vishera with a Noctua NH-U12P cooler, which should be a good one.

On stock, the socket-temps are going to 69 degrees C. Core-temp at 48 C.

The CPU will start throttling after about 70 on the socket, so any OC is out of the question for the time being.
I switched to a more modern case, thinking it to be the culprit, but the temps are about the same.

I've refitted the cooler three times using NT-H1 compund, centered small drop, without any noticeable differences.

Auto CPU Voltage gives around 1.23-1.24 V on load. Any higher set manualy, and the temps rise quickly.

Case: Corsair 650D

MB: Asus M5A97 Pro

Any tips for dealing with this, anyone?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Seems like your cpu voltage is too low even for stock. Something strange going on there. Should be around 1.35ish for an 8350. Id highly recommend checking this forum:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1318995/official-fx-8320-fx-8350-vishera-owners-club

People monitoring it more often and likely to find the help you need. But it also seems like your socket temps are quite a bit more then your cpu temps, usually about a 10 degree difference is what I have seen. Seems strange you could even getting it running at such a low voltage. What are you using to monitor? I highly recommend hwinfo64:

http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/hwinfo64_download.html

and cpu-z:
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

if you post screenshots of both of these programs showing your issue, especially on that 8350 forum page, you should be able to get some help figuring it out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use HWMonitor. Cpu-z and others all show the same values.

Everything on auto it is actually 1.21 V. 1.24 was with llc on medium, and even then it throttles (70C +).
Anything above standard and 4000mhz "fails". I know I can disable the throttling, but i don't really wanna run at 75 C for a 100mhz gain.

VID says 1.3125, but I guess it runs at less because of the llc-thingy, which it seems I can't disable totally.

Right now it is actually throttling on auto 4000mhz @ 68 C. Jeez...

No dusty components, so I guess i'll have to try the old smearing of compound or something...

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Something is messed up, you should be hitting 4.5ghz with that cooler easily

Have you tried reseating the cooler just in case you aint done it right or checking the thermal paste
smile.gif

1 iccle dot in middle should suffice

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have reseated it three times. Two times with Cooler master E1, and one with NT-H1. No difference.
Even if it wasn't perfect, the temp difference wouldn't amount to that much, would it?

I could maybe try again with an even smaller dot.

Note: I have the single fan version of the cooler, but as far as i know, the push-pull variant isn't that much better.

Edit: And the socket temps are constantly 20 degrees over the core temps. Strange?

·
curmudgeon
5,930 Posts
Something is seriously wrong. The case seems to have adequate airflow and the cooler isn't that bad. What are the fan rpms? Perhaps the bios is forgetting to spool up the fan when it gets hot. That happened to me once.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The fan doesn't have a regulator pin, so it's always at max. 1400-ish rpm.

Getting tired of cleaning out paste.. Will different amounts of paste make a huge difference to the socket temps (which seems to be the worst offender)?

The room is a little bit hot here because of summer, but... Not overly so I would guess.

·
curmudgeon
5,930 Posts
Do you still have the stock HSF? If so try that and see what the temps are. AMD says the max temps for the 8350 is 62C and a stock one should never get that hot anyway in normal use.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's the socket temp that goes to 70. Core temps stay at 50. However, the cpu starts to throttle the cores at around 70 on socket.

And it seems I can't disable the throttling, even by enabling HPC-mode.

·
curmudgeon
5,930 Posts
It's not the cooler, it's not the cpu, it's not the case. What's left? Bad motherboard? Everybody has a bad day.

·
Registered
623 Posts
How many fans for intake and exhaust in the case?
How many video cards are you running?
What speed or speeds are the cpu cooler fans running at?

Try installing a small fan on the back side of your motherboard tray blowing directly at the back of the socket.

Took out some questions as i didn't notice them in the first post.

Honestly that board may be a good budget board but to run the 8350 it just doesn't truly have the ability to handle it. with the 8350 you are drawing 125w through that CPU socket which is going to heat it up rather well. if you can return either trade the motherboard in for any 990fx asus board, or if you can only exchange the CPU at this point try the 6300 or the 6350 if it is also a 95w processor. Anything you can do to put air onto the socket and VRM cooling is going to help you not have throttling unless the board is just bad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1x 200mm front, 1x 200mm top, 1x 120mm back.

One Radeon 7950.

1400 rpm cpu fan.

I used the same mb with a deneb 965, which is also a 125w cpu. OC'd it as well without problems.
But I dunno... I checked out a couple of newer boards online, but do they actually run cooler on the socket? Couldn't find any info on that.

The psu is a Corsair HX 620. Should be enough/doesn't affect temps?

·
Registered
623 Posts
My socket at idle is ~42C on my Crosshair V Formula Z running 4.2 GHz at 1.375v. Whatever the other temp sensor on the board is reading is usually around 32C, and i honestly don't know what this sensor is getting data from. My rear fan is running as intake though which is blowing some air across the VRM heatsink which may cool the socket a LITTLE bit, but prolly not much if at all. Obviously my case is different, but its possible the air coming in from the large intake fan in front is being pulled out too quickly and it is unable to cool the CPU/Socket efficiently.

Sadly there are many things it could be. Including the motherboard being unable to properly handle that particular CPU. If you have the money check out this motherboard and see what happens.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A99X_EVO_R20/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts