Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I've added another GTX 970 and have OC'd my FX 8350 to 4.8ghz and it seems to be very stable at fairly low temperature.
Now my question is, if i wanted to get the GPUs to 1400mhz boost clock, how much further should I overclock my CPU?
(If i have to upgrade to intel, i'll just stay at stock speed.)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Legonut. I tried both 4.6ghz and 4.8ghz but 4.8 is definately sweet spot for me. previously I had it for 1.5v but now the voltage is lowered to 1.47 and now it has no more major stutters in games. now the cards (970 Strix) are at 1400mhz boost clock and 4000mhz memory through Evga precision x. CPU @ 54.5c average // GPU @ 66c on #1, 71c on #2 during the load (Getting Kraken g10 + h55 for both very soon). Does this look safe for long term gaming use?

·
curmudgeon
5,930 Posts

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
TBH we don't have enough info about your rig..

can your motherboard handle this clock or more ? we don't know your cooling or your case airlfow.

that being said a FX chip at a core clock of 3.3ghz will have no issue pushing high end gpus. but you will run into single threaded performance issues that can be mitigated by setting affinity (ms isn't very favourable to cmt in current thread scheduling implementation) and forcing max performance thru driver.

but at your clock speed there is no concern. getting you HT freqency up would be a better idea than sheer core clock speed. and would likely give you better performance for less of a OC struggle

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Flail thanks for the reply.

I currently have Deepcool Maelstrom 240 liquid cooler on CPU and using Sabertooth 990fx motherboard. I'd say it can definately handle 4.8ghz so far.
Some say I shouldn't go over 1.46 but i felt that 1.47 wouldn't hurt.

For the GPU wise, many say 1400mhz is the sweet spot so I don't think ill be going anything over that.
I have 2 GTX 970 Strix, I assume they have lower overclocking ability compare to other cards?

For PSU, I have a 800W Silent Pro gold, which in theory i believe should cause no problem in terms of power.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbinoTech View Post

Hey Flail thanks for the reply.

I currently have Deepcool Maelstrom 240 liquid cooler on CPU and using Sabertooth 990fx motherboard. I'd say it can definately handle 4.8ghz so far.
Some say I shouldn't go over 1.46 but i felt that 1.47 wouldn't hurt.

For the GPU wise, many say 1400mhz is the sweet spot so I don't think ill be going anything over that.
I have 2 GTX 970 Strix, I assume they have lower overclocking ability compare to other cards?

For PSU, I have a 800W Silent Pro gold, which in theory i believe should cause no problem in terms of power.
IMHO depending on weather you are vboosting or vdrooping you might be at your thermal limit if you try to push it much farther. the board can handle it, cooling might be able to handle it

off the top of my head i don't know what 970's draw while overclocked but i think 1400 is possible without seriously digging into your psu power limit

your cpu in current state will draw at-least 200w at load, give a 100w limit for mobo,.drives, fan, etc and lets say that an overclocked 970 will eat amount 200w each (maybe less depending on bios) I think the most that 970s can be feed is 225w? just due to the limit of available power (150w from pcie power and 75w from pcie)

so unless you go hog for 5ghz on your cpu you should have the power to manage this. however i would check with shilka's PSU posts as i am not familiar with that PSU or its OEM so i've no clue on its quality

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the help Flail, i did just find this page: http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

It allows you to put your specs in and it gives you the recommanded PSU wattage for the spec. It says the load wattage will be
It says the load wattage would be 776W and recommanded is 826W, for ampage it requires 61A on 12v rail for both gpu where as I have 65A on my PSU. According to this I can supply the power no problem.

Should I trust this?

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for all the help Flail, i did just find this page: http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

It allows you to put your specs in and it gives you the recommanded PSU wattage for the spec. It says the load wattage will be
It says the load wattage would be 776W and recommanded is 826W, for ampage it requires 61A on 12v rail for both gpu where as I have 65A on my PSU. According to this I can supply the power no problem.

Should I trust this?
I trust Shilka, and Shilka does not trust online calculators

online calculators do not account for ripple

http://www.overclock.net/t/1516783/why-you-should-not-buy-a-cooler-master-silent-pro-gold/0_100

^^

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Quote:

oh wow...lol so i guess I should change my psu asap
i've never had a item fail due to ripple but again with the price of these parts and replacements i don't like that gamble. (i've turn down the overclock extremely on the system with the sketch PSU I have because of this)

oc range seems to extend and the cpu will respond slightly snappier with proper controlled ripple. its not an obvious difference but if you spend days testing and benching to make sure you are making head way you will eventually see the pattern.

a solid 850w psu will do you well. I prefer Seasonics OEM better models, but i've not had much experiance with corsair flextronix OEM stuff but heard its top notch (their i brand power supplies), and the seasonic brand was cheaper locally than some of its re-brands a SS x-850 or a corsair AX-850 (without the i) are great units.

i know there are some other brands that use a variation of the same PSU but i cannot remember for the life of me who they are

1 - 12 of 12 Posts