Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've had this CPU a while, and have a modest overclock on it running at 4.2GHz, but the temp readings are just wrong according to CoreTemp

10C idle, jumping up to a whopping 40C on full load. 10C is a good bit lower than ambient, and I'm just cooling it on a CM212 with a single fan (the one that came with it, at that)

Thoughts?

Edit: BIOS reports 29C idle which is probably accurate, but makes testing temps during actual use kind of difficult. And also I'm curious if the CPU fan controller is reading what the BIOS says, or reading whatever CoreTemp is reading, and kicking the fan speed up later than it should.

I've noticed that when the system is idle, the CPU fan will pulse but generally stay off. It will kick on, for a half a second, then completely stop for two seconds or so before repeating. However, the heatsink itself doesn't even feel warm when this is happening.

·
Volt addicted OC fanatic
582 Posts
So I've had this CPU a while, and have a modest overclock on it running at 4.2GHz, but the temp readings are just wrong according to CoreTemp

10C idle, jumping up to a whopping 40C on full load. 10C is a good bit lower than ambient, and I'm just cooling it on a CM212 with a single fan (the one that came with it, at that)

Thoughts?
AMD temp readings on CPUs for Bulldozer/Piledriver (and possibly others) are notorious for having accuracy problems, my package temps are inaccurate, registering lower idles than ambient, but core temps appear to at least be in the proper ballpark here. Your mileage may vary, and vary it will with the old AMD platforms.

·
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast
2,873 Posts
sub-ambient temps are reported for teh PACKAGE.

not much software is accurate. Even a decently polished software like corsair's link software for the AIO's read it incorrectly.

Download hwINFO64 and use its cpu readings for idle and low/mid load temps. Package temps are accurate under full load

EDIT whopping 40*C? You are safe upwards of 55-60*C. CRANK THAT BAD BOY UP!!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Set up a push pull fan on the 212, install One fan in the vrm area of the Motherboard, clock the FX up to 4.6Ghz !

What Motherboard you have ?

·
curmudgeon
5,930 Posts
Yeah, get HWINFO64 so you have reliable readings. Those temps sound fine to me. The sensor only becomes accurate when it goes past 30C or so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts