Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am the owner of a fx 8350 paired with a gigabyte 970 Gaming with latest bios installed. My stock cooler would give me around 80º C when gaming so I bought a Cooler Master H411r and it improved to 60ºC. But now sometimes when full stressing the CPU it might throttle and Vcore drops to 0.9V to cool down for a while.
I decided that undervolting the CPU would be useful, as I read so many posts of people achieving so low voltages and still not losing fps. My stock Vcore was 1.4 V which seemed a lot compared to AMD official web page 1.375V. So I dropped it to 1.35V and lowered my clocks to 3.8 Mhz, but after starting windows, only 2 Cores work at their peak and the others stay permanently at 1.4 Mhz even when running prime95.

All power saving features are deactivated but HPM, LLC is set to auto. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,025 Posts
Stock VID for the 8350's I've had have ranged from 1.28 volts to 1.42. Yours is on the higher end , but not outrageous. Your temps in the screen shot seem fine.

What is up with your 12V reading? What psu are you running?

I'd try high performance settings in windows first. If that doesn't straighten up the clocks etc. it's probably time to clear cmos and see what it does at default settings.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stock VID for the 8350's I've had have ranged from 1.28 volts to 1.42. Yours is on the higher end , but not outrageous. Your temps in the screen shot seem fine.

What is up with your 12V reading? What psu are you running?

I'd try high performance settings in windows first. If that doesn't straighten up the clocks etc. it's probably time to clear cmos and see what it does at default settings.
I always thought that reading was a bug tbh. My psu is a sentey MBP 650W 80 plus bronze. High performance has been set since I installed windows, and right now I went into bios and set voltage to normal and the clocks problem disappears (but then High temps come again). I don't understand how lowering 0.075V makes 6 cores run at 1.4 Mhz :(.

·
Premium Member
10,025 Posts
Gigabyte bios on my 990 UD5 is pretty wonky , maybe that's the issue.

The voltage is about what you'd expect if it was a 220 unit being run on 110 .... pretty odd.

Case airflow pretty good? How are your ambient temps?

I'd probably try disabling turbo and lowering the LLC a notch. Seems to be boosting a little bit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gigabyte bios on my 990 UD5 is pretty wonky , maybe that's the issue.

The voltage is about what you'd expect if it was a 220 unit being run on 110 .... pretty odd.

Case airflow pretty good? How are your ambient temps?

I'd probably try disabling turbo and lowering the LLC a notch. Seems to be boosting a little bit.
Voltage readings are okay in bios. Airflow could be better, but I removed the case front so it could improve.
Rn in argentina its around 25-35ºC ambient temperature. Turbo has always been disabled and LLC just has been set to normal.
While running OCCT I realized that I was wrong about max temps, they were even worse (lol), reaching 75ºC. Plus Vcore was boosting to 1.5V which really scared me.

·
Premium Member
10,025 Posts
Voltage readings are okay in bios. Airflow could be better, but I removed the case front so it could improve.
Rn in argentina its around 25-35ºC ambient temperature. Turbo has always been disabled and LLC just has been set to normal.
While running OCCT I realized that I was wrong about max temps, they were even worse (lol), reaching 75ºC. Plus Vcore was boosting to 1.5V which really scared me.
That makes more sense, 1.5 volts on a load like OCCT would put your cooling needs in the neighborhood of a 240 mm CLC.

1.4 volts can overwhelm the stock cooler, but at 4ghz , with your cooling it should be fine.

After googling a bit, I see you aren't the only one with this issue on that board - others complained of it hitting 1.5 volts regardless of LLC , offset etc.

Have you tried gigabytes overclocking software ( E-Z tune?) ? It was horrible when I tried it about 5 years ago, but hopefully it improved. Not sure AMD overdrive will work on that chipset, but I had really good luck with it on 790FX boards.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That makes more sense, 1.5 volts on a load like OCCT would put your cooling needs in the neighborhood of a 240 mm CLC.

1.4 volts can overwhelm the stock cooler, but at 4ghz , with your cooling it should be fine.

After googling a bit, I see you aren't the only one with this issue on that board - others complained of it hitting 1.5 volts regardless of LLC , offset etc.

Have you tried gigabytes overclocking software ( E-Z tune?) ? It was horrible when I tried it about 5 years ago, but hopefully it improved. Not sure AMD overdrive will work on that chipset, but I had really good luck with it on 790FX boards.
Actually I had installed it today even before making the thread (what a coincidence) and had a quick look at its features. What I noticed instantly is that it lets me change Vid but not vcore, so I do not know if that would help. Plus, isn’t it always better to OC by bios rather than software?

·
Premium Member
10,025 Posts
Actually I had installed it today even before making the thread (what a coincidence) and had a quick look at its features. What I noticed instantly is that it lets me change Vid but not vcore, so I do not know if that would help. Plus, isn’t it always better to OC by bios rather than software?
I try to stay away from speaking in absolutes regarding this hobby, there's just too many variables. In GENERAL , yes it's better to do things in bios.

Some boards apply offset voltage from the selection in bios, others do so by VID. Seeing as how it is hitting 1.5 volts at present and your actual vid is 1.4, I'd try dropping the VID with the software by .05 volts and test it. If it tops out at 1.45 volts then you might try another .05 drop, aiming for 1.4 volts at 4 ghz. Keep an eye on temps/volts .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I try to stay away from speaking in absolutes regarding this hobby, there's just too many variables. In GENERAL , yes it's better to do things in bios.

Some boards apply offset voltage from the selection in bios, others do so by VID. Seeing as how it is hitting 1.5 volts at present and your actual vid is 1.4, I'd try dropping the VID with the software by .05 volts and test it. If it tops out at 1.45 volts then you might try another .05 drop, aiming for 1.4 volts at 4 ghz. Keep an eye on temps/volts .
Vid is set to 1.337 actually. Should I still change it?

·
Premium Member
10,025 Posts
Vid is set to 1.337 actually. Should I still change it?
I don't think it would hurt a thing. Do so at your own peril though. That is some LEET voltage ;)

EDIT: Just an example where software overclocking worked very very well .

·
Premium Member
10,025 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good luck!
Update to the post, I dropped the Vid to 1.275 using AMD overdrive and now my Vcore at max is 1.37! Frequencies are stable and Prime95 Small FFT runs perfectly for 20 min. I will try to game for an hour in my most cpu intensive game (PS3 emulator) to check stability while gaming.
I tried going for 1.250 but Vcore would peak for some secs at 2V and I supposed that I could drop frequencies but I do not want to lose perfomance if possible.
At last, my temps are now 57-59ºC at max for the CPU, even with case fully closed , which is under 10ºC from the margin so it is perfect! If system stability is OK I will enable some power saving features. Thanks a lot everyone that commented! I will update if something happens.

·
Premium Member
10,025 Posts
Appreciate the update :) .

Hopefully you're on the right track now.

·
OG AMD
8,801 Posts
Appreciate the update :) .

Hopefully you're on the right track now.
Update to the post, I dropped the Vid to 1.275 using AMD overdrive and now my Vcore at max is 1.37! Frequencies are stable and Prime95 Small FFT runs perfectly for 20 min. I will try to game for an hour in my most cpu intensive game (PS3 emulator) to check stability while gaming.
I tried going for 1.250 but Vcore would peak for some secs at 2V and I supposed that I could drop frequencies but I do not want to lose perfomance if possible.
At last, my temps are now 57-59ºC at max for the CPU, even with case fully closed , which is under 10ºC from the margin so it is perfect! If system stability is OK I will enable some power saving features. Thanks a lot everyone that commented! I will update if something happens.
Believe it or not this 8320E I'm abusing now has a stock VID of 1.212v! If GF had been on the ball with this process from the beginning history would have been a lot different IMC has no proble running 2500MHzwith only 1.32v on CPU/NB.

·
Premium Member
10,025 Posts
Believe it or not this 8320E I'm abusing now has a stock VID of 1.212v! If GF had been on the ball with this process from the beginning history would have been a lot different IMC has no proble running 2500MHzwith only 1.32v on CPU/NB.
I think the best I've managed 4 ghz stable was 1.182 V post 1429 batch e chip. Helps to run slower nb/ram freqs when trying a stunt like that.

Always fun to play with Vishera :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts