Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I cannot get this FX-9370 to downclock if I'm above the stock 200mhz base clock. If I'm at 200x26 for example, it downclocks fine and cool n' quiet works great. I bump it anything higher than 200, and it will never downclock. I've even tried using the Windows power setting and it will not budge off of whatever clock / voltage it is set at.

I am using offset voltage, cool n quiet, C1E and C6 are enabled.

I used an FX-8320 on this exact same setup a few week ago and it worked just fine at 270mhz base clock. CnQ worked fine no matter what settings I have. This 9370 refused to enable CnQ even if I'm at 201mhz base clock.

What am I doing wrong? Is this a 9000 series bug?

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,192 Posts
take voltage off offset and set it to auto, same issue?

·
Premium Member
10,025 Posts
I don't think there is a bios version that supports that cpu for the motherboard you are using.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
take voltage off offset and set it to auto, same issue?
No dice. Wouldn't boot at all or just locked up at the BIOS screen.

I don't think there is a bios version that supports that cpu for the motherboard you are using.
Could be it. There are several odd things about this setup. First off, IBT throws random results at 5ghz and above but it's perfectly stable (sitting at 5.1ghz now, IBT stable and WHEA free for days now). Second, CnQ only works at 200mhz as stated and the third is.... base clock overclocking does NOTHING in terms of performance.

I ran a few benchmarks, games and saw basically margin of error results between 200 x 25.5 and 270 x 19. The 8320 pulled just a hair over 11,000 in Winrar benchmark at 4.9ghz. This 9370 gets 10,200 or so at 5.1ghz, and base clock doesn't help at all.

Same board, same ram, drives, cooling etc. Only difference was the CPU itself.

·
Riding on the edge
3,245 Posts
Could be it. There are several odd things about this setup. First off, IBT throws random results at 5ghz and above but it's perfectly stable (sitting at 5.1ghz now, IBT stable and WHEA free for days now).

If the "random results" you mention contain a negative sign like this one https://www.overclock.net/forum/28566554-post66.html than that is a bug within IBT. Negative results even though they claim to have passed is false. This happens when you're OC is on the edge :)

I wouldn't sweat about C&Q. My 9590 at 5117 (note: 25 x 204) would never stabilize with it enabled and I tried for 2 years without success on a CHV-Z. Never had any good luck with higher Bclk period.

Same mobo with my 8350 ran 18 x 267 very reliably. Bclk will act differently between the two chips.

It's just my opinion, not trying to be rude but you'll need a better mobo to push that chip. Your current mobo will work very hard to get a 8350 stabilized at 5.0 but a 9370 is another animal especially when it's not supported. Good luck!

• Rep+
Reactions: The Pook

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the "random results" you mention contain a negative sign like this one https://www.overclock.net/forum/28566554-post66.html than that is a bug within IBT. Negative results even though they claim to have passed is false. This happens when you're OC is on the edge :)

I wouldn't sweat about C&Q. My 9590 at 5117 (note: 25 x 204) would never stabilize with it enabled and I tried for 2 years without success on a CHV-Z. Never had any good luck with higher Bclk period.

Same mobo with my 8350 ran 18 x 267 very reliably. Bclk will act differently between the two chips.

It's just my opinion, not trying to be rude but you'll need a better mobo to push that chip. Your current mobo will work very hard to get a 8350 stabilized at 5.0 but a 9370 is another animal especially when it's not supported. Good luck!
I thought that at first, that it was on the edge of stability. But it's rock solid. I'm been running 5.2ghz for the past few days but 5ghz is almost too easy lol. The socket temp is a little on the high side but thats with a 77f ambient and about 1.4v cpu/nb.

Also, IBT 2.54 gives a much lower result but the numbers are normal looking. IBT AVX is the only program that flakes out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here's a quick 5.2ghz run. 67f ambient. I need to get those socket temps down. Stable, no WHEA errors. Just a little hot on the socket. 1.38125 cpu/nb voltage. Tempted to grab a VRM waterblock as well as a universal block for the northbridge. Would that lower socket temps? I already have a 120mm fan blowing on the back of the socket.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
And.... Just for good measure I did a 50 standard run at 5ghz. Started at 75f ambient and rose to 78f lol. WHEA free and consistent results. Same weird number tho.

Oh and on a side note, I strapped the H55 to my GTX-1060. Never gets above 42f now lol.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts