Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i'm a complete noob when it comes to overclocking. I just got this Geforce FX 5200 card, PCI version, I was wondering what methods I can use to incrase my performance? Is it possible to overclock this card, and shoudl i be using the drivers form the Nvidea web page or elsewhere? thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
www.guru3d.com This will give you coolbits. Its a registry hack that will let you overclock your nvidia card. Go to advanced settings then to clock frequency settings(after you installed coolbits) then start uping the core/memory frequencies. Keep ocing until you get artifacts( screen is all messed up) then turn down your core clock until the artifacts go away. That will be your best overclock. Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the link, i'll definetely try that out. but i was looking into the Omega drivers, should i be using these instead of the Nvidia ones?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im on the guru3d page right now, im not sure which coolbits program i need exactly? there is one that is simply called Coolbits, it says its for use with the detonator drivers, and there is Forceware coolbits 2.0, and NVTweak (coolbits 3d)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ignore that last post, i got the clock frequency settings in my nvidia options now. its currently set to "no overclocking", and in a copule ghosted boxes its at 250 mhz for the core clock, and 400 mhz for the memory clock. ive nevr done this beofre and i'm a little nervous, can i mess things up here?

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Not really just adjust the clocks in ten mhz increments. After you up it 10 play a game and look for artifatcs. Youll know when you see them. Keep uping it until you get the best fequencies with no artifacts.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Hope it has a fan on the heat sink!!!
Some GForce cards require an Reg Edit or a util to OC em in the Nvidia softs that actually are hiding! That is if you use the Nvidia softs to OC.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by steveo420

Defenitely I told him that in a pm. Heres one you might want to try. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...110-106&depa=0

my card came with a fan on the heatsink. i currently have it running at core 310 and memory 450, up from 250 and 400. i can't really tell a difference to tell you the truth. i tried going a little higher but after doing the test it told me that those settings didn't work, and i should try to lower them. am i doing the rgiht thing, i have it overclocked as much as i could get it to

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now I have more problems. I have been overclocking the GPU and memory in the hidden Nvidia options panel. However, it doens't seem like it makes a difference at all, and it also resets every time my PC is restarted. I set it to Manual Clockspeed and crank it up a little, then when i restart its back to Automatic Clockspeed. What am I doing wrong? BTW the card is a BFG GeforceFX 5200 OC (pre-overclocked a tiny bit)

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Its a 5200 so its not going to give you to much especially with stock cooling. And yes i think they oc a little. Make sure you press apply at startup to keep those settings.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What is the correct way to install new drivers? I'm currently using the Nvidia Forceware drivers, but I downloaded a different set from 3d guru. Should I just open the executable and write-over the old drivers? (If thats even possible). Or should I uninstall the Nvidia drivers from add/remove programs menu and then proceed to install the new drivers?

steve, thinking about charging me an hourly rate yet? haha

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
If anyone knows FX5200's, it's me.

You have to tick the box or whatever that says, apply these settings at startup. It's hard to notice the difference but you see it in game that need power, you'll get about 2 extra fps per every 20fps or some.

On the XFX FX5200 in my Athlon2000+ rig i got clocks of 294Mhz core and 464Mhz Mem from defualts of 250Mhz and 333Mhz

On the Albatron FX5200 in my mums P4 2.8 Northy rig i got clocks of 290Mhz core and 450Mhz from the same defualts as above. This one scores higher though becuase of the 2.8 Northystylin.

I think you've pushed your core far enough, keep trying with your mem, expect at least a 70Mhz increase, it could reach 500Mhz mem.

Overclocking yuor card is perfectly safe, not 1 reported card has been screwed through overclocking, it is basically impossibe. Heat and Voltage are the 2 killers but they will only kill if they are put to ridiculous levels. If you FX5200 busts, i'll give you mine, thats how much i guarantee it will not die.

Even if you put it up to 800Mhz on both core and mem. It will just freeze and you'll have to reboot. When something freezers, instead of being a processor (GPU) it turn into like a power line on your card and power simply passes through with minamal heat due to it's free flowing. The memroy simply rejects everytihng once the GPU has frozen.

Hope i've helped man!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh yah, you definetely helped. I appreciate it. I was reading waht you said you did with a 5200, I'm gussing that was the AGP version. I'm stuck with the worse PCI version (damn you Dell...), would it make a difference in what levels of overclocking i can reach? I tried pushing up the core a little more, but when I ran the test that it forces you to run, it kept telling me that the test failed. i will now try to bump up the memory clock speed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
2 things i forgot to mention:

ran an Aquamark3 bench, i got a score of 8766
GPU - 948
CPU - 8766

I currently only have 256 MB of ram. Within the next 2 days I will be upping that to 768 Mb. Will this make any kind of improvement on my graphics/load time etc?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think I've got the exact same card as you, nastynas. Sloth_Boy helped me a bit....I've been OC'ing mine over the last couple of days. I think I've actually found my sweet spot of 320/535 with stock cooling. My Aquamark3 score was 12,216. Mine is a BFG Asylum GeForce FX5200 256Mb PCI card....Model #ASLM52256P. Stock speeds are 250/400. One bit of advice would be to try #'s close to what the "Detect Optimal Frequencies" button says. Yours may say something slightly different, as I used Coolbits 3D. Good Luck!! :shades2:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts