Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a few bad driver releases (for my card) I decided that "all of them can't be bad" and I need to update my drivers anyway for the most upcoming games. So I decided I'd do a little test for all the FX people, and for that matter even series 2, 3 and 4, but mainly aimed at FX 5700LE users.

I had a process of using Driver Cleaner Pro in Regular Windows Mode, going into safemode, using Driver Cleaner Pro, Installing Drivers in Regular Windows Mode, restarting, and running Fraps & CS:S test's.

For fraps I ran the benchmark for Min, Max & Avg. FPS
For CS:S I ran the Video Stress Test

Here are the results:

Quote:

[77.77] // Clocked @ 344/535MHz // Antialiasing Settings: 2x | Vertical Sync: Off

Fraps Average FPS - CSS Stress Demo // Min: 22 // Max: 118 // Avg: 52.738
Average FPS - CSS Stress Demo: 52.77

[78.01] // Before Driver Cleaner // Clocked @ 344/535MHz // Antialiasing Settings: 2x | Vertical Sync: Off

Fraps Average FPS - CSS Stress Demo // Min: 22 | Max: 119 | Avg: 52.329
Average FPS - CSS Stress Demo: 51.81

[78.01] // After Driver Cleaner // Clocked @ 344/535MHz // Antialiasing Settings: 2x | Vertical Sync: Off

Fraps Average FPS - CSS Stress Demo // Min: 22 | Max: 120 | Avg: 52.741
Average FPS - CSS Stress Demo: 52.96

[81.98] // Clocked @ 344/535MHz // Antialiasing Settings: 2x | Vertical Sync: Off

Fraps Average FPS - CSS Stress Demo // Min: 23 | Max: 120 | Avg. 54.579
Average FPS - CSS Stress Demo: 54.23

So the myth isn't true that newer drivers for older cards don't work, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't but I made the mistake of believing older drivers work for older cards.

Hope this helps everyone

·
Registered
516 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lightsource
After a few bad driver releases (for my card) I decided that "all of them can't be bad" and I need to update my drivers anyway for the most upcoming games. So I decided I'd do a little test for all the FX people, and for that matter even series 2, 3 and 4, but mainly aimed at FX 5700LE users.

I had a process of using Driver Cleaner Pro in Regular Windows Mode, going into safemode, using Driver Cleaner Pro, Installing Drivers in Regular Windows Mode, restarting, and running Fraps & CS:S test's.

For fraps I ran the benchmark for Min, Max & Avg. FPS
For CS:S I ran the Video Stress Test

Here are the results:

So the myth isn't true that newer drivers for older cards don't work, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't but I made the mistake of believing older drivers work for older cards.

Hope this helps everyone

Just out of curiousity,what does your system get you in aquamark?

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ge-Force

Just out of curiousity,what does your system get you in aquamark?

20,000 ~ 22,000

·
Registered
516 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lightsource
20,000 ~ 22,000
Are you serious?
Man ,I'm pulling low 32,000's with the setup in my system profile.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwiztidPOPS
Dude I have a 5700le w/ 256 and can barely get 28000!!! How you pulling 32000?
lol...good tweaking skills a guess.
...and yes the processor is a 2600+ originally!
LL
LL
LL

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
**UPDATE**

After updating to the latest 81.89 drivers, I have discovered that having these drivers allow for a higher overclock, before I was running:

BFG 5700LE 256MB AGP8X @ 344/535MHz

(Reason for clocking @ 344/535MHz was that while running 7x.xx drivers, I used 'Detect Optimal Frequencies', but after updating drivers I didn't use 'Detect Optimal Frequencies', I just set it back to my other clock speeds.

So after Detecting Optimal Frequencies, I run these specs:

BFG 5700LE 256MB AGP8X @ 353/560MHz

---
Doing the math, that is a +9/+25MHz overclock!!! Thats great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts