Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
The real question is, is EVGA doing a better job with the application? It doesn't matter how good the paste is, if the end result looks like this:

GTX 480 right there. So glad I took the dive and changed mine.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by EfemaN
View Post

The real question is, is EVGA doing a better job with the application? It doesn't matter how good the paste is, if the end result looks like this:

GTX 480 right there. So glad I took the dive and changed mine.

yeah I had a 480 also before the 580 and changed mine. As far as I know you are supposed to put a LOT more thermal grease on GPU's than with CPU's

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dudenell
View Post

yeah I had a 480 also before the 580 and changed mine. As far as I know you are supposed to put a LOT more thermal grease on GPU's than with CPU's

Yeah, but that is no excuse to do a piss-poor job. See how the paste is clumped up around the "edges" of the square? That means they put enough to probably cover a chip and a half... it shouldn't be overflowing off the sides of the heatspreader.

Have you changed the TIM on your 580? I'd love to know if their application methods have improved.

·
Village Idiot
2,428 Posts
That explains why my temperatures got worse if anything when I remounted... Pulled the same stunt with an Intel stock cooler. Remounted hoping for better temps, temps got worse, found out the factory paste is shin etsu.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I remember when I saw the first pictures of 480 TIM. I was shocked.
but on 580´s, it was really good work on TIM.
I replaced it with IC Diamond Carat, and very margingly it got better. I think only 1 or 2 C drop.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
The best thermal paste vs something like AS5 is something like 1-3 degrees, the question is does overly thick application mitigate any gains you get by using better paste?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EfemaN;11992760
Yeah, but that is no excuse to do a piss-poor job. See how the paste is clumped up around the "edges" of the square? That means they put enough to probably cover a chip and a half... it shouldn't be overflowing off the sides of the heatspreader.

Have you changed the TIM on your 580? I'd love to know if their application methods have improved.
1½ GPUs? There's gotta be at least enough TIM there for 3 GPUs:lachen:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts