Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/bl...teria-computer

Quote:
This simple problem is surprisingly difficult to solve. There are over 3.5 million possible routes to choose from, and a regular computer must try them out one at a time to find the shortest. Alternatively, a computer made from millions of bacteria can look at every route simultaneously. The biological world also has other advantages. As time goes by, a bacterial computer will actually increase in power as the bacteria reproduce.

Programming such a computer is no easy task, however. The researchers coded a simplified version of the problem, using just three cities, by modifying the DNA of Escherichia coli bacteria. The cities were represented by a combination of genes causing the bacteria to glow red or green, and the possible routes between the cities were explored by the random shuffling of DNA. Bacteria producing the correct answer glowed both colours, turning them yellow.
wow, we'll never have to upgrade.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Hmm I like more this article than the other given by the INQ http://www.overclock.net/hardware-ne...computing.html , it gives a more in depth glimpse of the actual research and experiments.

But if as the bacteria reproduce we would have more computing power... won't there be a moment where the death of the bacteria and the reproduction of the new ones get's stable? or if the reproduction goes faster than the decay won't there be a problem of space sooner or later?

·
Premium Member
4,403 Posts
The city test from a DNA computer was done in 1994 and I haven't heard much come from it yet unfortunately. Hopefully this bacteria computer will have more momentum.

Googling DNA computer will bring up several articles. Here is one: Source

·
Banned
3,583 Posts
Interestimg. An exponentially increasingly powerful computer. Wonderful. Would this be a good thing or bad? Such as an artificial intelligence gaining knowledge and awareness after exponentially increasing in knowledge and learning?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Insert "Terminator DoomsDay" Joke here

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
the exponential rate of exponential growth is moving fast wats next quantum computers
sarcasm)

·
Registered
716 Posts
Sounds disgusting. What if the bacteria evolve in the long run and turn into a mutant cyborg or some crap like that. Or something like Prototype it would eat us and use our bacteria when we try to OC it?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sLowEnd View Post
That's why you always keep a bottle of rubbing alcohol nearby

Heh. Like your sig rig btw. Very creative...

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dieanotherday
View Post

by modifying the DNA of Escherichia coli bacteria

E.Coli, hmmm.

I prefer my ass nasties were they are tbh, not sure if I want to log into OCN 2021 and ask someone if I can get better performance in Crysis 9 if I top up my bio-processor with a turd.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgtdisturbed47
View Post

Wow that is just disgusting. Bacteria doing computing. What if they break out and infect me? Or, what if someone wants to sabotage my system by simply spraying rubbing alcohol into the system?

If someone wanted to sabotage your computer NOW all they'd have to do is simply spray water into the system.
If they haven't come for you by now, you'll probably be safe with the bacteria computer.

·
Premium Member
4,317 Posts
tgs, take 1: Great, now our computers can infect us.

tgs, take 2: As if worrying about normal computer viruses wasn't enough, now our PCs can catch real ones.

tgs, take 3: FUTURE FORUM TOPIC: "My mom used Lysol while cleaning my room and now my PC won't work. HELP!"

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drift0r View Post
They take bacteria from poop (e. coli) and make it in our computers? No thanks. I'll take my sand computer for now.
They already use bacteria in food production and medicine so why not PC?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.