Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting either the P5B or the P5B-Deluxe-WIFI from Asus for my E6300.

Would they run with this Ram?:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231084

I don't have any cheapo DDR2 and I'm not sure if anyone I know has some. I'd like it to boot on the first try if possible, and then if I'd like to know if I have to increase the default voltage to load Windows.

I'd pretty sure the P5B-DXWIFI will run it, but I'm not sure the P5B vanilla will run it.

·
Premium Member
4,076 Posts
Usually, you can get into the BIOS first try regardless, as it sets the memory voltage after that. I messed up with a friends build though, and had to used cheap ram to change the voltage. If you have or know anybody with a pre-built system (gateway, HP, etc....) you can just borrow a stick from them if you miss the BIOS the first time. Thats what I had to do.

·
I remember when......
3,812 Posts
Shouldn't have any problem, the only board I have heard about having a problem is one of the Gigabyte's needing 1.8v RAM just to boot.

My P5B Dlx Wi-fi booted with these modules just fine, although not at the correct factory settings......for some reason it booted them at 5-5-5-15 timings and slower speeds. Probably because it booted them at 1.9v, they take 2.1v stock.........either way you should be fine......the board obviously is capable of dropping voltage on POST and/or will boot at 1.9v default which is what those RAMs take.

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
My P5B is using GSkill PC8000 4-4-4-5 timings. OCs to 1.1ghz. No problems except for a faulty RAM module I have to send back.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like the P5B will run it fine. I don't want to splurge on the Deluxe unless I absolutely have to...

So what is the Vdimm range for each of the mobo's exactly?
I know it's 4-step and 15-step for vanilla and deluxe respectively, but what does that mean number-wise?

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So basically:

P5B-Deluxe is almost surely a good OC
P5B is a hit and miss depending on your luck

Not to mention the other benefits of the deluxe...

Oh woe is me!

I think I might have to get the deluxe. I don't trust my luck lol

·
Banned
6,776 Posts
Spend an extra $50 and get the HZ stuff (w/black heat-spreaders) and you can be sure to get perhaps one of the best overclocking modules for the money.

Right now my modules are doing: 4-4-4-8 @ 1000mhz on a 2.2v.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The Memory Voltages in 0711 are in .05 increments. so a setting of 2.15 is as good as 2.2? Just curious since the module I have says 2.2-2.3v.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nasgul

Spend an extra $50 and get the HZ stuff (w/black heat-spreaders) and you can be sure to get perhaps one of the best overclocking modules for the money.

Right now my modules are doing: 4-4-4-8 @ 1000mhz on a 2.2v.

I am getting them from someone on the forum hopefully. Maybe I can get some heat-spreaders off another site if I want a crazier OC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts