Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
It should be able to OC to 1066, though G.Skill is said to binned their chips though I think 1066 is definitely possible.

·
Expand Always in Always
4,596 Posts
I would think it's safe at 1066,have you tried manually setting it,unlinked? Make sure your giving it the voltage you need.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I have 2x4GB of these and have never been able to get to 1066.

I cannot remember for sure, but I think while I was running 2x2GB of these I was unsuccessful in running 1066 as well. So, it may not be the fact that I have all DIMMs filled that is holding me back.

I did not try really hard, but I do not recall ever having these even POST at 1066.

·
Registered
240 Posts
imho the 780i chipset in general is trash for high clocks on anything once you move into the realm of quad cores and 8 gigs of ram

my ud3p p45 board will run my quad and gskill ram in 1:1 at 475x8.5 with pretty sane voltages

my 780i requires the maximum selectable voltages on vtt, northbridge, and HT link, and still isnt prime stable at those clocks. on the 780i chipset, the northbridge will bottleneck the ram at your fsb speed, so even if you run it higher you'll get the same performance as you would have if you linked it.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is what I tried. 1600FSB linked 3:2 which gives me a 1066 and 2.2v didn't work. Unlinked manually set 1066 @2.2v still no luck. Timming were stock 5-5-5-15-2T.

But I found something fun. I underclock it to 800MHz timming @ 4-4-4-15-2T 2.1v I got 5.7 on Vista performance index. I tried 800MHz timming @ 4-4-4-12-2T 2.1v and I got 5.9. This is weird, cuz I thought 4-4-4-15-2T is better or faster 4-4-4-12-2T.

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver_WRX02
View Post

So those pairs that can get 1066Mhz with stock timming and voltage are gifted?

I just think that the board plays a huge roll in it.

·
Banned
11,459 Posts
I can boot with my RAM at 1100Mhz at stock volts/timings.... stability, I couldn't get past 1050mhz stable with 8GB... Northbridge wasn't taking it, I had to dump 1.55v to get that far.. however, 1030mhz 5-5-5-15, 2.1V with NB at 1.45 runs just fine day and night

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by XFreeRollerX
View Post

I can boot with my RAM at 1100Mhz at stock volts/timings.... stability, I couldn't get past 1050mhz stable with 8GB... Northbridge wasn't taking it, I had to dump 1.55v to get that far.. however, 1030mhz 5-5-5-15, 2.1V with NB at 1.45 runs just fine day and night

So increase the NB voltage may help me to get higher?

·
Banned
11,459 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver_WRX02
View Post

So increase the NB voltage may help me to get higher?

Yep, NB volts can heavily affect RAM OC, especially the timings.

EDIT
its amazing how many peole have this same combo of RAM and memory lol

·
Banned
3,062 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by reezin14 View Post
I would think it's safe at 1066,have you tried manually setting it,unlinked? Make sure your giving it the voltage you need.
All Your posts are useless u shouldnt have the amount of rep you do, you always agree with other peoples post never see you answer anything with some general knowledge.. anyways lets not get off topic.. G skill Ram do bin their IC's but im pretty sure their PK's And PQ's could hit 1066 pretty easily with the recommended dimm voltage.. If ur still worried that you dont wanna take the risk you could buy the speed you need that way it saves the hassle of overclocking your ram sticks

·
Premium Member
2,532 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
It should be able to OC to 1066, though G.Skill is said to binned their chips though I think 1066 is definitely possible.
Why do you think we keep telling people who buy GSkill to get the speed they need. They are notoriously stingy about squeezing every dollar possible out of their ICs.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
When I had my Q6600 I was running 4:5 ratio and it was very good. 400FSB and DDR2 500 memory. It seemed to be more speedy and responsive than 1:1 or any other combination I tried. If I remember correctly, they say Nvidia chipsets like to have a higher memory than FSB, even if it's just a little bit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts