1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
No. Period. I need to overvolt to run stable at DDR2-801 with that kit. Sorry, but there will be no memory overclocking with that kit. However, I do say I'm pleased with it and it will let me go up to 400FSB if I have a 1:1 ratio. Also, I doubt any of the 4GB kits out now OC over their rated well at all anyway. I just bought this one because it's the cheapest. Finally, the new heatspreaders are much better looking than the old ones that are shown on Newegg. They are a dark blue and have a bigger G.Skill logo.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by money11465
View Post

No. Period. I need to overvolt to run stable at DDR2-801 with that kit. Sorry, but there will be no memory overclocking with that kit. However, I do say I'm pleased with it and it will let me go up to 400FSB if I have a 1:1 ratio. Also, I doubt any of the 4GB kits out now OC over their rated well at all anyway. I just bought this one because it's the cheapest. Finally, the new heatspreaders are much better looking than the old ones that are shown on Newegg. They are a dark blue and have a bigger G.Skill logo.

Hey, Great info!

The Mushkin Kit (The 700.00) hits 1200. I've seen a few reviews after catching jriggs sale.

Although I am still considering his used Mushkin kit, the idea of filling up 8Gigs to increase my 3D rendering performance for less sounds a bit tempting. Maybe 8 gigs running at 800 isn't so bad?

Thanks again for the first hand experience! I won't be looking forward to any Overclocks on that G.Skill. =( Sniffle.

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Wow audi, I'm not even gonna ask what you need 8 gigs for

Sadly, just as with 1GB sticks, the early models have poor specs and overclock even worse. I think you will either have to tolerate the lower performance or stick with 4X1GB for now.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audi
View Post

Hey, Great info!

The Mushkin Kit (The 700.00) hits 1200. I've seen a few reviews after catching jriggs sale.

Although I am still considering his used Mushkin kit, the idea of filling up 8Gigs to increase my 3D rendering performance for less sounds a bit tempting. Maybe 8 gigs running at 800 isn't so bad?

Thanks again for the first hand experience! I won't be looking forward to any Overclocks on that G.Skill. =( Sniffle.

Hey, Audi, this is in that build I did for the woman who needed the video-editing rig. She loves it and is glad she went with a $2500 rig rather than an equivalent $7200 Mac.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad it turned out okay, dude! I will take some time to think about the next ram purchase to go with Asus p5k, then.

I'm thinking 8 gigs of DDR2-800 would shave a few minutes off of my final renders in Final Cut and Cinema4D.

It's either this or spend 1700.00 on some Camera Equipment.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRogers
View Post

Nahh Man.. No way.. Get the HZ's and soar

Read some reviews, the Mushkin PC2-8500 XP Black is the fastest 4gb kit on the market.

·
Banned
16,364 Posts
Quote:

No. Period. I need to overvolt to run stable at DDR2-801 with that kit. Sorry, but there will be no memory overclocking with that kit. However, I do say I'm pleased with it and it will let me go up to 400FSB if I have a 1:1 ratio.

What do you mean..they let you go up to a 1:1...thats only 800mhz..***? I run my 2x1gb HZ's at 1000mhz, 4-4-4-12-4-20-8-9-9-9 with 2.3v. If i put them on CAS5 they can run 1100mhz on 2.25!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts