Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having a hard time deciding, I did alot of reading here and realize I cant go wrong with either.

Ill be running the ram with a 955c3 and gigabyte 890fx ud5

Do i get the Mushkin Redline 6-8-6 1600 stuff or the eco 7-8-7 1600 stuff

I plan on getting 8gb of the stuff and plan to order monday.

Which will do tighter timings at 1333 and at 1600

they both seem to do 2000mhz @ 9-9-9
they both can do 6-8-6 @ 1600 (right?)

GSkill are a little cheaper but mushkin are actually rated at 6-8-6 vs 7-8-7
Gskill are lower voltage but need extra voltage anyways to OC.

Any Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Yep, they can both do 6-8-6 at 1600

Some can do 6-7-6
Some can even do 5-7-6

(I was talking about the ECO's: I highly recommend them
)

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
Can't complain about my set; timings are a little less important on my i5 setup, but these sticks are extremely versatile:
You can have very tight timings at stock speeds or get a nice OC with a little voltage bump (which for most is below normal limits)

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I would suggest the ECO's as well. Although I don't have a set personally, I've read nothing but good for them. I also have ripjaws so I know that G.Skill makes good quality RAM

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shroomalistic View Post
so next question is how should I get the 8gb's ?

2 of the 2x2gb kits or the 4x2gb kit.

is it better to let gskill match up all 4 kits or just go the cheaper route and buy the 2 seperate kits.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...E20-231-321-TS
I don't really think stick quality would matter whether you get 2 2x2GB kits or the 4x2GB kit. I say go the cheaper route with 2 2x2GB kits

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by new001 View Post
I ordered ECO's for my first build, and after a lot of research, I knew they were the ones.
Great choice man. They should run at the specified timings and voltage stated without much problems if any.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
im running my ecos at 1385mhz with 6-6-5 20-20-1T

i can probably get it down even more i was doing 1385 with 7-8-7 to start with

EDIT: i just found out prime95 showed those settings on top were faulty, i found out my settings were wrong by playing Left 4 dead 2
i noticed graphical corruption on screen and knew immediately ram must have caused this, cause i just tweaked it
so i ran prim95 and showed me rounding error

i am now running at 1385mhz with 6-7-7 20-24-1T stable so far in prime95 10 mins
should be stable now

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
Well I'd say G.Skill simply because your not paying for the brand name, the performance of G.Skill memory is excellent though, I've had great success overclocking mine, see sig-rig.

·
Registered
401 Posts
For the guys that have the Eco what are your WEI scores people told me they got in the 6.0 areas o_O

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well I just pulled the trigger and ordered the 2 x (2 x 2gb eco kits) I figured it would be best to order 2 of the 4gb kits rather then the 8gb kit incase one stick goes bad I will only have to rma 2 sticks rather then 4. I also ordered the gigabyte 890fx-ud5 board. cant wait. this foxconn board is driving me nuts. It was only gonna be temporary till my dfi came back from rma. dfi refused it cause it had a scratch on the board. So now I had to upgrade mem and board. No more good 790fx ddr2 boards on the market.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Quote:

well I just pulled the trigger and ordered the 2 x (2 x 2gb eco kits) I figured it would be best to order 2 of the 4gb kits rather then the 8gb kit incase one stick goes bad I will only have to rma 2 sticks rather then 4. I also ordered the gigabyte 890fx-ud5 board. cant wait. this foxconn board is driving me nuts. It was only gonna be temporary till my dfi came back from rma. dfi refused it cause it had a scratch on the board. So now I had to upgrade mem and board. No more good 790fx ddr2 boards on the market.
Great choice on the RAM and motherboard. You are going to LOVE IT! Have fun man and congrats

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DXcellence718 View Post
For the guys that have the Eco what are your WEI scores people told me they got in the 6.0 areas o_O
Though my RAM is OC'ed, I get 7.7
of course, WEI is only a quick benchmark that gives you a basic look of system performance; if you really want to know RAM performance I'd suggest you use something like MaxxMem.

Quote:

Excellent, if you need any help overclocking these babies don't hesitate to ask me!

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xd_1771
View Post

Though my RAM is OC'ed, I get 7.7
of course, WEI is only a quick benchmark that gives you a basic look of system performance; if you really want to know RAM performance I'd suggest you use something like MaxxMem.

Excellent, if you need any help overclocking these babies don't hesitate to ask me!

I'm here too I love tinkering with my G.Skill RAM, been doing it since I put my first performance set of G.Skill in my laptop

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Metonymy
View Post

Proof's in the pudding:

My score is 7.7... 6-8-6-20 > 7-7-7-20? Hmm...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts