Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright guys I just ordered my new computer today, anyways I updated my system specs. soo I was just wondering is this ram any good? I mean I read some good stuff about it online but I want to at least overclock it to 2.8ghz or maybe 3.0Ghz do you think I could do it with this ram
? and what is a divider and what does it do?

anyways rate the ram tell me if its a 1 or 10 cause I still have some time to change my mind.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231035

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
G. Skill's made better ram than that. The top 3 for high FSB are as follows:

FF
LE
LA

...in that order. Of course that all depends on your budget and how much you're really gonna need to go over 300 FSB.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Looks like that would be the stuff to get if you want to limit yourself to 1gig of memory and don't want to spend too much.

For $40 you could get the Gskill "ZX" ram. It has similar timings and is 2x1gig sticks.
I'm sure you'll get tons of different answers for the model of gkill ram to get.

If you wanted to overclock your processor to 2.8/2.9ghz you'll realize real quick your ram is being overclocked as well.

This is why you use a divider. The divider allows the ram to start at a base mhz of say 333mhz so when you overclock your processor, you'll end up overclocking your ram back to the stock speeds(400mhz) instead overclocking your ram to levels it cannot handle.

·
Banned
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
soo what should I expect to get out of that ram about 250? cause right now I know the sandy has a 11 multiplyer so I could maybe do something like 275X11 then have my HTT set to 3x (3x275=825)

·
Registered
220 Posts
(Assuming you're talking to me and also assuming your thinking about 2gigs instead of 1gig)
Yes keeping your HTT under 1000 is a good thing but don't focus on your FSB speed for performance, AMD's have more then enough by design even at the 600/700 level.

You MIGHT be able to get the ram I linked to to run at 250 but it will depend on your Mboard.

If you want all out MHZ and damn the timings, go with the gskill HZ stuff.
It will be easier to OC due to you probably not needing to use the divider when you OC.

In other words, the gskill HZ ram will allow your divider to run at the stock 1:1 ratio and you still will be able to push your processor to the max.

Of course you could buy some of the other ram mentioned, but you'd have to use a divider(no big deal) and in turn the ram won't run at as high as a mhz but it will have tighter timings.

For example.

I actually have both the HZ and ZX gskill ram at my house right now.

I played around and found that the HZ stuff running at 250mhz-260mhz at 3-4-4-8 timings was not as fast as my ZX stuff running at 225mhz-230mhz with 2.5-3-2-5 timings.

YMMV

·
Banned
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this is what I read from someones comment on the ram I bought

have this paired up with a opteron 148 sct 939 running stable at 2.75ghz 2.5-3-3-7 1T at a 1:1 ratio
if i understand what i was reading that would be 275mhz at 2.7volts not to shabby if im wrong than its even better becuase im only at 250mhz with more headroom to play with

now to me the timings look pretty decent, i know I wont have 2gbs but its alright.

·
Banned
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
omw I am sorry guys this has been posted before,
anyways thank you so much Internal for explaining what a divider is and Transonic, thank you for taking the time to look up thoses ram models, definatly adding some rep to you guys!

anyways I as I read that I found out I should be able to OC it to 2.8ghz, while keeping the timings pretty low. The bottom line is I want my processor to be faster or equal to the FX-57. Once I saw that on newegg I was like damn I want that but $1000 = 3 1/2 paychecks isnt worth it.

the other thread about the same memory I want,
http://www.overclock.net/amd-memory/...fx-series.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts