Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.gskill.com/news.php?index=329

Quote:
G.Skill previously demonstrated 24GB of DDR3 at 2,000MHz CL9 during Computex 2010 earlier this month, but has again managed to push the boundaries. This super capacity kit has already attracted a large number of extreme gamers and professional users who expect higher memory capacity can improve their PC performance. G.Skill has successfully provided 24GB (4GBx6) at 2,000MHz CL8 to another high-end boundary, making it the absolute ultimate choice for the extreme users.
No price quoted yet, but probably not cheap
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,497 Posts
The pricing scheme for a memory kit of this magnitude will fall in line with the pricing scheme of similar Corsair and Kingston kits. Therefore you are expecting a +$1000USD price range for a kit that is a luxury and nothing more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,497 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by overclocker23578 View Post
holy ****! but whats the point?
There is no point in investing in such a memory kit unless you are running a multitude of Linux and other virtual machine chain's. Even though the most dedicated and enthusiastic VM'ers can be satisfied with having 12GB. The returns of having beyond 6GB and even 12GB for users can be negligible at best for those who have a LGA1366 system. Unfortunately this is a marketing scheme that will always find those who are gullible and careless with their personal finances and toss asides any concerns of finances in order to self-promote their image and increase their 'e-peen'.
 

·
Dream with your eyes open
Joined
·
3,837 Posts
Sweet.... So at this point in time, who says we can't use a gaming computer as a server, and folder all at the same time, while you are rocking Crysis 2
 

·
AMD Overclocker
Joined
·
9,178 Posts
G.skill is awesome!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,033 Posts
So this is basically for someone that wants to game and run folding VM's at the same time or just wants to have super fast vm's.

Get an 8-16 core cpu (Bulldozer/Magny Cours/Sandy Bridge), Assign 3-4 cores/4-6gb ram for games and then assign the rest to virtual machines.


Own at Crysis and own at whatever else pleases you at the same time
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,741 Posts
Do any machines other than serious commercial video editing rigs and things like that need this much RAM? (besides servers of course). Because those are not gonna be OC'ed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,381 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by urgrandpasdog View Post
Do any machines other than serious commercial video editing rigs and things like that need this much RAM? (besides servers of course). Because those are not gonna be OC'ed.
You never know, OCN servers could be overclocked - it would be most fitting.

But your point is valid - I think specialist rigs such as those used as servers, video editors and for military/scientific use could benefit from this, but for the ordinary home user it's just overkill.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
15,093 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by [Adz] View Post
You never know, OCN servers could be overclocked - it would be most fitting.

But your point is valid - I think specialist rigs such as those used as servers, video editors and for military/scientific use could benefit from this, but for the ordinary home user it's just overkill.
The problem with this statement is that military/scientific users typically don't overclock because they place significantly higher priority on factors such as ruggedness, lifetime and stability.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,014 Posts
Good luck getting all 6 sticks to run at 2000Mhz Cas 8, you'll need some mighty Vtt voltage and QPI PLL adjustments.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
875 Posts
wtb for new photoshop computer...
I routinely use photoshop illustrator dreamweaver and bridge at work with a memory usage of roughly 6gb's when i'm working on "many" things... this i do want. i would never stop working because of lack of memory ever ever again.
someday....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,261 Posts
does it smell like they made this to go with the Evga sr2?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
The dude with 6 gigz for Photoshop and Illustrator, that is more than enough. I'm a VFX Artist, I wish I could have a machine with 32 gigz of ram in it. Also to the guy who said it's for gullible people and the like, try having a 3d/compositing/editing software open at the same time. The more ram the better.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,160 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by 45nm
View Post

The pricing scheme for a memory kit of this magnitude will fall in line with the pricing scheme of similar Corsair and Kingston kits. Therefore you are expecting a +$1000USD price range for a kit that is a luxury and nothing more.


Quote:


Originally Posted by 45nm
View Post

There is no point in investing in such a memory kit unless you are running a multitude of Linux and other virtual machine chain's. Even though the most dedicated and enthusiastic VM'ers can be satisfied with having 12GB. The returns of having beyond 6GB and even 12GB for users can be negligible at best for those who have a LGA1366 system. Unfortunately this is a marketing scheme that will always find those who are gullible and careless with their personal finances and toss asides any concerns of finances in order to self-promote their image and increase their 'e-peen'.

Not always true... The program in my sig will happily benefit from 24GB of RAM.

I'm not even a heavy Max user and I saw my RAM usage increase to 97% with 4GB.

Hell, loading 3DS Max requires ~450MB of RAM.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
608 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by BizzareRide
View Post

Not always true... The program in my sig will happily benefit from 24GB of RAM.

I'm not even a heavy Max user and I saw my RAM usage increase to 97% with 4GB.

Hell, loading 3DS Max requires ~450MB of RAM.

You have 4GB of RAM (count it 4)

24/4=6

24GB is 6 times the amount of ram you currently have

now tell me, if you manage to do a project that eats up even 8GB of that
how much stutter are you getting from the CPU which is holding you back?
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top