Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this monitor for a little while and am loving the G-Sync/144hz combo, it's hard to go back to 60hz now. However...from my understanding Gsync is supposed to get rid of tearing while not adding on that noticeable input delay that is synonymous with vsync. Also(correct me if I'm wrong) the g-sync range is from 30-144hz, so as long as I'm in between there I should reap the benefits. So something I'm noticing in an FPS game(Cod 4) is when I'm at 144fps locked it looks great, but feels somewhat like a smidgen of input delay where my movement isn't as 1:1 as it should be. When I cap my fps to 125(random number) the input delay is completely gone and aiming is snappy, while losing some visual fidelity....So could someone explain this phenomenon? 144, or 125, both are in Gsync range, so why does 125 fps feel so much snappier when aiming compared to 144fps?

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/preview2/
Quote:
Why is there less lag in CS:GO at 120fps than 143fps for G-SYNC?

We currently suspect that fps_max 143 is frequently colliding near the G-SYNC frame rate cap, possibly having something to do with NVIDIA's technique in polling the monitor whether the monitor is ready for the next refresh. I did hear they are working on eliminating polling behavior, so that eventually G-SYNC frames can begin delivering immediately upon monitor readiness, even if it means simply waiting a fraction of a millisecond in situations where the monitor is nearly finished with its previous refresh.

I did not test other fps_max settings such as fps_max 130, fps_max 140, which might get closer to the G-SYNC cap without triggering the G-SYNC capped-out slow down behavior.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1 - 3 of 3 Posts