Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.
I just upgraded my main system to a 4790k.
I got it at microcenter the other day and picked up the ASrock H97m ITX board.
A little while back I got a Node 304 for a steal so I'm gonna put all that together with all my random hard drives and start consolidating data.

Anyways.
my normal rig has ddr3 1866 cas 8 GSkill ram. 2x4gig kit. 1.5v.
I was wondering if that would work in the H97 motherboard with the g3258 at its full speed. Since the G3258 is overclockable on the H97 boards maybe the ram can go faster too.

·
Cheapest Man On Earth
640 Posts
It most likely won't be able to use the full speed of the RAM, but that's not to say it can't be utilized. Speed and timings are two different things. The CPU uses 1333MHZ RAM. You can probably get BIOS to run it slightly faster than that. For instance my Haswell Celeron can be set to 1400MHZ. Which still isn't much compared to other DDR3 RAM available today. What you can do is tighten the timings up. This will give you a noticeable boost in memory performance compared to running older 1333MHZ RAM at looser timings.

Do a search for tighten RAM timings. I just did a quick search and saw I have 15 posts in the Memory forum using those search terms. I know for a fact I have written pages about it and there are certainly others that have written excellent posts regarding general procedures for tightening RAM. Unfortunately there isn't a sticky guide yet. Try looking around in the Memory forum for answers on how to best utilize your RAM and ask questions there where memory gurus will see it.

·
Stock *ahem*
6,382 Posts
The G3258 nominally runs only DDR3-1333, but i use DDR3-1600 at 1600, and I've even heard of someone using 2133 MHz RAM with a G3258.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was running my g3258 in an asrock z97m oc formula board with the 1866 no problem.
I was wanting to know if I could get 1866 speed in the h97 series board. The max listed speed for the H97 is ddr3 1600 and normally overclocking isn't unlocked, correct?

·
Stock *ahem*
6,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantommaggot View Post

I was running my g3258 in an asrock z97m oc formula board with the 1866 no problem.
I was wanting to know if I could get 1866 speed in the h97 series board. The max listed speed for the H97 is ddr3 1600 and normally overclocking isn't unlocked, correct?
Worst case, see if CAS 7 DDR3-1600 will work. That CAS 8 DDR3-1866 is amazing
eek.gif
most RAM sold these days is CAS 9 1600 or 1866.

·
Cheapest Man On Earth
640 Posts
If you are still looking to use the G3258 with high speed RAM at full bandwidth then I don't know if it can be done in a non-Z board. You can tighten the timings and end up with similar performance on any board that allows you to change the timings. I have been using a Gigabyte H81M-H with my Celeron, and I let my friend borrow my i3 and he got the same board. We both got super cheap RAM last fall and had no problems tightening up the timings on these cheap boards.

If you already have the CPU and RAM then getting a sub $50 board will get things rolling. If you are looking to overclock it to the moon then you will need a suitable motherboards (Z series I'm assuming) which would likely cost more than the CPU + RAM did. At that point you might be better off selling what you have and getting a low end Skylake. Plenty of avenues you can travel, just depends on your goals and you wallet. If you explain what it is you are precisely after in as much detail as possible then you might find an agreeable solution.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts