Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about making a new cheap home server.
My current rig:
What is 80 plus? is what the psu is spewing out all the time...
2x2gb ram
amd 640 propus 3ghz quadcore 95watts
no gpu (I only put it in when stuff breaks)
stock cooler
one pwm rear fan
front fan set to half speed from front pannel fan controls
I'd like to get another corsair 80 bronze or gold psu
and build something quiet, low power, cheap, kinda small.
I'd love to get a 1u rack, but heatsinks seem hard to come by in that form.
2U... not sure atm what happened with trying to build with that. (just newegg shopping cart)
3-4u kinda defeat the small form factor, might as well go for a cheaper

I did find a m-itx board that had dual lan and thought that would be cool, but time will tell.

Pretty much, is the Pentium G3258 a good cpu for a ubuntu server?
I plan to add 16gb of ram and run it as a vm host, like I am with my current server.

Which runs proxy + ts3 server on 1 vm, file on another, then the big one, file and game server.
The game server is only able to run one at a time because of ram limitations.
Otherwise half the time total cpu usage isn't over 200% (50%)

I ran into a thread on linuxtectips or something like that and it pretty much gave this cpu a bad rep.
Why I think this should be a good cpu for me is:
low power
higher benchmark on cpubenchmark.net
less cores... kinda good.
arma is really dependent on the 1st thread on startup and well tries to run most of the stuff on it I guess.
so a faster 1st thread = faster loading times/ startup
VM's will have to share cores... they were already doing so tho.

What do you guys think about me using the cpu for such purposes?

Thanks,
Higgins909

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I agree this would make for a great server. I was reading about the other day. You can even OC it and tool around with the voltage to see how low you can go with still getting high clocks. I would definitely rather this over an AMD option right now due to power draw/ performance. hardware-revolution.com said this about it: http://www.hardware-revolution.com/best-cpu-apu-processor-holidays-2015/

Higher performance than the competition:
In the same price range, we have the AMD Athlon X4 860K that's available for $70.

The Pentium G3258 is a quite unique Intel CPU, seeing as it's a fully unlocked CPU that only costs $70. It's a 3.2GHz dual-core CPU with no Hyper-Threading, based on the Haswell architecture. At stock frequencies, it's a fine CPU for its price, but where it really shines is when you overclock it. Many website and buyers report that it can reach 4.5GHz or more with a decent after-market CPU Cooler. At 4.5GHz or more, it has no problem outperforming its main competitor in its price range, the AMD Athlon X4 860K.

For gaming performance, the Intel Pentium G3258 matches or outperforms the AMD Athlon X4 860K, according to a review from Techspot.

Even if you don't overclock it, with its highly efficient Haswell architecture and its decent 3.2GHz frequency, the G3258 can hold its own against the AMD Athlon II X4 860K. But really, it would almost be a shame not to take advantage of its overclocking potential!

Pros:
- More than decent CPU performance (best in this price class), especially when overclocked!
- Unlocked multiplier, overclocking is supported and easy.
- Low power consumption (53W TDP)
- Low price
- Integrated video card
- Allows you to upgrade to higher-end Intel Core i3, i5 or i7 CPUs down the road.

Cons:
- Supports RAM frequency of 1333MHz, higher is usually supported with overclocking.

Ideal for:
- Budget Gaming PCs with a really tight budget.
- Budget Family PCs, to browse the Internet, watch some videos, listen to some music, do some Office work and the like.
- NAS, Streaming PC, Budget server and other workloads requiring a low power consumption

Avoid for:
- Audio/photo/video editing
- Higher-end Gaming PC

- See more at: http://www.hardware-revolution.com/best-cpu-apu-processor-holidays-2015/#sthash.NUp2Pmcy.dpuf

1 - 2 of 2 Posts