Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Performance is the bible
7,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source
He reported that AMD is apparently not allowing ASRock to sell their cards here in the EU, and maybe even USA? That last bit is speculation though I did some searches, you'll not find these cards in either region.

Here's what ASRock replied:

"The problem for me is that AMD has not agreed us to sell in EU, that is really a pity."

...AMD is invoking a regional sales ban for certain brands in favor for others?
So those who are waiting for the cards, most likely you will have to keep waiting.

·
What should be here ?
5,734 Posts
What a douchy move. Seems like they're turning into Nvidia who banned Galax cards from appearing in this part of the world. Well, atleast the good publicity from GPP is going their way.

·
Performance is the bible
7,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What a douchy move. Seems like they're turning into Nvidia who banned Galax cards from appearing in this part of the world. Well, atleast the good publicity from GPP is going their way.
As far as I know, galaxy and KFA2 (today called galax) were the same company, where the cards were branded as KFA2 in europe and galaxy in most everywhere else (including US).
You can still buy those cards. I don't see any ban.

·
What should be here ?
5,734 Posts
As far as I know, galaxy and KFA2 (today called galax) were the same company, where the cards were branded as KFA2 in europe and galaxy in most everywhere else (including US).
You can still buy those cards. I don't see any ban.
Yes you can, but you have to kiss you card good bye should the card turn bad under warranty. Having a local office of said brand helps in cases. Also, Galax was mainly US whereas KFA is EU, but nowhere else. Regardless, seems like a stupid move from AMD if what ASRock saying is correct.

·
pass the butter
537 Posts
Apparently AsRock used to be part of ASUS. Could this have something to do with EU antitrust laws or something?

·
Performance is the bible
7,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Apparently AsRock used to be part of ASUS
Asus split into several companies, with pegatron owning asrock after the split.
Since 2012, pegatron and asustek have are split.
Regarding EU regulations, which is kinda weird to bring it up, considering asrock also make motherboards and sell them in EU and compete with asus, I highly doubt it.

More likely AMD would want to strengthen sapphire and xfx in europe.
Or they were unhappy with asrock saying that they were for mining and then changed tactics, so this is their "punishment".

Why did they try to brand a mining card as a gaming card?
They made several variations for each GPU, some for gaming and some for mining.

·
Overclocked
2,810 Posts
Considering this is a new market for Asrock, i'm not surprised. AMD doesnt want to upset its longtime partners.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
AMD Impacts Customer Choice......sorry I had to lol.

This makes no sense to me, you would think they want more people selling their stuff considering the position they are in when it comes to gpus.

·
Top kek
3,578 Posts
Sapphire and XFX are the most common AMD brand in EU. If ASRock come with their mining cards, they will not have big start.

·
Registered
451 Posts
why is this even news? its the same with colorful and galax from nvidia. according to a netherland shop amd just wants to have another brand in asia to sell more. they dont have this problem in europe. typical bs journalism.

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
AMD Impacts Customer Choice......sorry I had to lol.

This makes no sense to me, you would think they want more people selling their stuff considering the position they are in when it comes to gpus.
This has a bigger impact than GPP since it actually limits the entire card/manufacture. NV cards were allowed, just with a different name.

Bet there won't be as much of an uproar about this vs GPP. Where is Kyle @ [H]?

·
Performance is the bible
7,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
why is this even news? its the same with colorful and galax from nvidia. according to a netherland shop amd just wants to have another brand in asia to sell more. they dont have this problem in europe. typical bs journalism.
That is incorrect.
Neither are banned from selling anywhere they want.
Galax are selling everywhere (just retaining brand names that people know) and colorful are concetrating on becoming chinese biggest company, but they already have vendors everywhere.
Nvidia do not region block (only promotional bundles because of game vendors).

·
What should be here ?
5,734 Posts
Galax are selling everywhere (just retaining brand names that people know) and colorful are concetrating on becoming chinese biggest company, but they already have vendors everywhere.
I think you can get AsRock from elsewhere as well, just like colorful and Galax/KFA and the RX580 that the reviewer got of AsRock didn't come from them.

·
Iconoclast
30,430 Posts
Why did they try to brand a mining card as a gaming card?
All of these cards have display outputs and would be at least as suited to gaming as mining.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hmm, I was going to make ASRock my new GPU brand. I don't like the sounds of this.

·
Performance is the bible
7,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I think you can get AsRock from elsewhere as well, just like colorful and Galax/KFA and the RX580 that the reviewer got of AsRock didn't come from them.
You can get asrock in europe if you are willing to import it from the US and pay the extra taxes.
But if you want a direct sale from asrock to europe vendors, you can't.
It also means that if you need maintenance, you will have to ship the card to us/asia, or the vendor you bought from will ship it to us/asia and increase repair/replace time. And again, it will cost more than getting a sapphire or xfx, making them pointless to sell in europe anyway.

kfa2 are selling directly to europe vendors, so the price is lower and you can get warranty on them in europe. Same with colorful.

·
The Challenger
2,282 Posts
I'll say the same thing I said in the other thread. Asrock came in later than all the other AIBs. There are many possibilities as to why they are limited at this point. Maybe AMD already has all their production reserved and divided for the AIBs that already sell there for this year or the next two years. Maybe it is a legislation issue. Maybe something else I can't think off.

Let me put it this way. What would be the incentive to have less Radeon brands for AMD in Europe? Do you really think, AMD will deliberately reduce the amount of cards they can sell, reduce their own market reach on purpose, and reduce the amount of brands that support Radeon simply to limit Asrock?

·
Performance is the bible
7,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll say the same thing I said in the other thread. Asrock came in later than all the other AIBs. There are many possibilities as to why they are limited at this point. Maybe AMD already has all their production reserved and divided for the AIBs that already sell there for this year or the next two years. Maybe it is a legislation issue. Maybe something else I can't think off.

Let me put it this way. What would be the incentive to have less Radeon brands for AMD in Europe? Do you really think, AMD will deliberately reduce the amount of cards they can sell, reduce their own market reach on purpose, and reduce the amount of brands that support Radeon simply to limit Asrock?
Also consider the possibility that AMD want to keep sapphire and xfx brands stronger in europe because they are their main manufacturers, and bringing a brand like asrock which might in the future also make nvidia cards, is bad for them.
As asrock breaching the market (coming late is irrelevant as long as the cards are selling if there are no replacement in the next 6-7 months), they will become known and people be interested in them. So once they also start making nvidia cards, they will have a known enough market than they can take away from AMD's market share.
By limiting them to certain regions, AMD can force asrock GPU market to remain small enough so that they will stay to make only AMD cards, and not have the capital for now to also make nvidia cards.
After all, AMD said "freedom to all brands" right?

AMD manufacturing being limited I think is BS. Especially since asrock releasing the cards means they already have a big enough stock of them. So AMD limiting them out of europe means they might be stuck in inventory instead of selling out. Production reserved is true if they are only now making the chips, but it also doesn't make sense, as the manufacturers are selling all over the world, not making manufacturing just for one market.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts