Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 277 Posts

·
Performance is the bible
7,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source

As we've reported for a while now, it's now stated by green team, the two main reasons causing the GPU prices to increase each and every month are the mining craze and the graphics memory shortage.

“While NVIDIA was here they also let us know that the pricing in the market will continue to go up through Q3 of this year most likely before we start seeing any type of relief,” Hutch says. “So, unfortunately, the end to this is not right around the corner and we have not seen the worst of it yet.”

Miners are still purchasing every new high-end graphics card they can get their hands on and as a result of that, all NVIDIA and AMD partners have a hard time filling up inventory and stock. On the other hand, Apple and Samsung are willing to pay more for the memory that will be used in their smartphones.
Basically:
Not enough memory manufactured being hogged by mobile devices => increase in memory prices for GPUs so manufacturers will not put them at the end of the queue => MSRP is expected to go up.
High demand on GPUs by miners => Retailers and distributors will increase the price of what is in stock as we have seen them doing so far.

So get ready your wallets. They are going to get a beating next round as well.

·
PC Enthusiast
718 Posts
Makes me wonder if they're not going to launch new cards until Q3.

·
Vandelay Industries
2,125 Posts
Makes me wonder if they're not going to launch new cards until Q3.
That would be very unwise of them. They need to release what they can sooner rather than later as Apple, Google, and Amazon have all stated that they are seriously looking into creating their own AI chips. If and when that happens both AMD and Nvidia will take massive hits. Gotta get while the gettin's good.

·
PC Evangelist
46,986 Posts
Guys. Easy fix. Dont buy Samsung and Apple Phones. Also They are not really paying more. They are also charging more.

·
Overclocker
11,648 Posts
Consumerism killing itself. So short device lifespan especially on mobile devices whether by design or forcing/persuading people to buy a new phone every year when in fact phones from 15 years ago work just fine anyway.
Plus memory manufacturer's oligopoly causing this shortage themselves on purpose to drive prices higher.

But hey, the US consumers can't be without their flashy every year new Samsung or Apple or HTC etc. phone to show off their superiority. Despite the fact that the same device sometimes with even better specs can be bought from other brands for half or even quarter of the price, it just won't have your favorite Apple or Samsung logo on it.

Samsung is quite covered IMHO, they have their own fabs, makes batteries etc. Other companies though are quite screwed when it comes to RAM and cobalt for batteries etc. shortages that will happen eventually.

·
Vandelay Industries
2,125 Posts
Guys. Easy fix. Dont buy Samsung and Apple Phones. Also They are not really paying more. They are also charging more.
While I'm not sure about Samsung customers, most Apple customers don't even want to entertain the concept of not buying Apple. It's very odd. A lot ppl that I know (who I'd consider quite intelligent) are woefully ignorant when it comes to Apple.

·
Tetrapyloctomist
1,708 Posts
Consumerism killing itself
You wish..

Samsung cannot make enough of the things. Already, they're upgrading one fab and on top of this are building another, from scratch. They could not have a wider smile on their faces. For someone willing to correlate, an assumption regarding their relationship with the Korean government and/or the future of certain legal proceedings would not be far off the mark either. So many smiles, it must be a party up at HQ.

Apple is doing great too, if iPhone X didn't sell as much as they'd anticipated, it's only because they pushed too much and over-saturated the market, it's a cycle any business-savvy person is well familiar with; just another glorious day of capitalist practices; over-saturation (or over-accumulation), it will see an ebb and all will be fine. I bet you everything i have they'd even formed a contingency plan, just for this occasion.
-this isn't a political views innuendo, this is just a fact, it's how our system functions.. be it for good or for worse, different topic-

GPU makers are selling everything they can make, with backlogs on top. If you think it's a sad day for any of them, think again.

Don't know where you saw this (consumerism killing itself), if anything, it's the opposite taking place. The mindless, infatuated individual going all in on a new material craze. Sadly, needless to say.
That Turning product line is simply the first indication of an industry shift towards accommodating said consumerism even further ^^
Whether this will help lower 'normal' GPUs' prices or not.. remains to be seen, i wouldn't bet on it.

·
waifu for lifu
11,326 Posts
So at this point the only relief for pc gaming consumers is for the mining bubble to burst. It surely can't continually go on an upward trajection forever?

·
Performance is the bible
7,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
While I'm not sure about Samsung customers, most Apple customers don't even want to entertain the concept of not buying Apple. It's very odd. A lot ppl that I know (who I'd consider quite intelligent) are woefully ignorant when it comes to Apple.
This is the same as choosing to use windows and not linux. Or buying one fashion brand over the other. Personal preferences, and to some the same echo system.

Using the same macOS and iOS and have it all integrated, as well as being locked to a certain app store which they can't transfer to a google play store, makes them fan of the same systems, even if you consider it over priced.

I'm not talking about people who will upgrade from one version to the next religiously. Because lets be honest, this happens on both android phones and windows systems and intel CPUs or AMD GPUs etc.
The same people who will stand in line to buy the next iPhone XVZYD when it comes out even if it gives nothing but 0.00001% extra performance, would be the same who upgrades from s18293 to s18294. Because they want to and it fulfils them than no other thing. Gives them the rush for those 15 minutes.

·
Premium Member
1,917 Posts
So at this point the only relief for pc gaming consumers is for the mining bubble to burst. It surely can't continually go on an upward trajection forever?
The longer the imbalance continues the more likely additional supply in the form of fab of existing players or even new competitors will become. Even more general purpose ai engines or more capacity in the fab realm or both. Even existing fab capacity has undoubtedly increased but we’ve seen for decades how long the ddr market takes to turn. This is that same boat, but now carrying ddr, gpu and ssd all at once.

·
Overclocker
2,726 Posts
Doesn't need to keep skyrocketing forever, just needs to be profitable.

Not sure what you mean by "bubble to burst" but it is never going to go to zero. Pretty sure bitcoin would have died by now if it was going to happen, I don't see how it can be ever increasingly popular and die now as opposed to years ago when it was nowhere near as popular.

Although the bitcoin price doesn't really affect GPU prices, mostly ethereum does and it has so many more uses than bitcoin that I just don't see it dying either, unless it is dethroned by another similar crypto but then the same demand for GPUs would still be present.

So much money to be made out there, I'm surprised memory and gpu companies are not doing everything in their power to capitalize on it. Sounds like no one is increasing production of anything.

·
2,327 Posts
Everything except Titan V is permanently sold out. Will it get even crazier than this?

·
*THIS SPACE FOR RENT*
595 Posts
As long as this remains true, I'm good. Planning my next new build for Q4. Hoping it that will Volta and Coffee Lake time to stabilize a bit.

I don't see the mining bubble bursting any time soon. There might be occasional drop-offs of start-up crypto-currencies, but I think it's here to stay. Increasing production seems to be the best option right now, of course with mem shortages, that leads us into the situation we're in now.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Sad news for me, I was hoping to upgrade my 970 this year. Hard to justify that if it's going to cost a grand.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Across the board it's a 200 dollar price hike just about? If you get one near msrp with autonotify its like 100-150 from lowest points. If that stops u from gaming you need to focus on making more $. Hate to say it just true to me. Paying over mspr sucks I am well aware of that but just like people pay over sticker for other things in life it's no different.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Across the board it's a 200 dollar price hike just about? If you get one near msrp with autonotify its like 100-150 from lowest points. If that stops u from gaming you need to focus on making more $. Hate to say it just true to me. Paying over mspr sucks I am well aware of that but just like people pay over sticker for other things in life it's no different.
I've been on auto-notify for over a month, they just don't have them in stock.

1 - 20 of 277 Posts