Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see the Overclocking your GPU 101 segment aired tonight on G4 TechTV's Call for Help - but the show notes are not up on the site right now. So here they are for the time being

Introduction to Overclocking

If overclocking is brand new to you, the Overclocking 101 is the first place to start. Familiarize yourself with the general concept of overclocking then continue reading the rest of this article.

Overclocking Your Graphics Card

Overclocking your graphics card is actually quite easy. The general process involves increasing the Core Clock and Memory Clock (more on these in a bit) through the use of overclocking software or in some cases, directly through the graphics card driver interface.

Before we begin, a couple of things must be done:

(1) Make sure your graphics card drivers are up to date. Visit overclock.net’s list of graphics card drivers for a variety of driver options for both NVIDIA and ATI graphics cards.

(2) Download an overclocking program. For a list of many of the top applications visit the Graphics Card Overclocking Software list at overclock.net. Familiarize yourself with the basic menus and options of the programs.

Be sure to look for the menu within your overclocking program that shows two “sliders†with the headings of Core Clock and Memory Clock.

Core Clock controls the speed of your graphics card processor.

Memory Clock controls the speed of the memory on your graphics card.

By increasing either/both of these settings from their default state, you are overclocking your card.

(3) In order to push your graphics card to the limit and at the same time monitor and benchmark it’s performance, you will also want to download one of the benchmarking programs listed at overclock.net.

The Process of Overclocking your Graphics Card

First start by increasing the Core Clock by 10mhz. Apply the changes and look at your screen for any anomalies in the image (artifacts or snowing). If everything looks ok, increase your Core Clock by another 10mhz, apply the changes and look for and irregularities with the image. Continue this process until you begin to notice any degradation in quality of the picture. Once you think you are close to your max speed, try playing one of your favorite GPU-intensive video games. If your image still remains artifact free, congratulations, it’s time to move onto your Memory Clock.

Before you start on your Memory Clock, lower your Core Clock back down to stock speed. Now you can conduct the process of increasing the Memory Clock MHZ in small increments. Make sure to test after every increase for loss of image quality. Once you have reached the upper limit of your card, try out your increased Memory Clock settings while playing a video game. If your image is artifact free, you have now completed the process of determining your graphics card’s maximum settings.

Finally, try increasing your card Core Clock and Memory Clock to the maximum, stable settings (that you just determined through the previous tests) and get back to some gaming! Play for about 30 minutes, keeping a close eye out for any artifacts. Note: if your computer locks up during this, simply reboot and your settings will default to stock. You will then need to decrease the settings and try again. If everything is ok, go back to your overclocking program and look for the option to apply the overclocked settings every time windows boots. This way you will not have to adjust these settings every time you restart your system. If you do every notice any image degradation, simply fine tune the Core Clock and Memory clock speeds to find your card’s perfect balance between the two.

Have questions about overclocking your graphics card? Visit the graphics card sections at overclock.net (ATI,NVIDIA and Graphics Cards - General) to read more about what to buy, how to cool it and of course how to overclock it.

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Ha! They love this place...you should start charging

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
sweet...i just watched the call for help...i love techtv lol. it would be great if u got money for these things though

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
when are you going to sign Me and Crash up for the representing OC.net
a weekly gig would be fine where we give tips on the intel side provided by me [crash to ad playful interjections]
and crash to give amd tips [while i give the playful interjections]
just an idea

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
we might as well come out and say we got what you need right here at the OC
you want watercooling tips, we gots em
you want Peltiers, we gots em
you want cryogenically frozen PCs, We gots em (i think)
oh yeah and if you fried your system we can help with that too

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by adas123

sweet...i just watched the call for help...i love techtv lol. it would be great if u got money for these things though

any publicity he gets helps because if we become what tech tv uses as a reference for overclocking and plugs our site, then advertisers will pay admin more for running ads on this site More mullah per click

I think thats how it works...
Admin you let me know if im right ok

so admin are you going to put As seen on tv on the back of the overclock.net T-shirts???

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookedjunglist

Deep fried, or pan fried?

Anywho, I WANT TO HELP ALSO!

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

we might as well come out and say we got what you need right here at the OC
you want watercooling tips, we gots em
you want Peltiers, we gots em
you want cryogenically frozen PCs, We gots em (i think)

Pretty much, as I tell people this is the one stop PC shop, we can help with everything, including understanding what the computer is doing.

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Diet Coke "Girlfriend" Fried

Lando you can do the portion on how to get your girlfriend to live with your computer habit

And how to make you computer look pretty minus the case

yeah but me and crash are still in the Fantasy stages of this scheme....

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Tell them we gurus on every subject here

Overclocking
Watercooling
Programming
Breakdancing (spooked1)
Bodybuilding see xavier's (aka vin diesel with hair) picture

Cars... forced induction, Naturaly aspirated, Tuning, motor swaps, suspension installs and tuning....

Ha, I love this place.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Visual Basic GF programming by lando

if BF = bonus findchild 6800ultra
goto frys electronics
if GF = PMS goto frys yourself

yes this is pretty lame and no i dont actually program so dont come back with any actuall syntax errors

Actually we should just say that we can teach you anything you want about technology.

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400

Tell them we gurus on every subject here

Overclocking
Watercooling
Programming
Breakdancing (spooked1)
Bodybuilding see xavier's (aka vin diesel with hair) picture

Cars... forced induction, Naturaly aspirated, Tuning, motor swaps, suspension installs and tuning....

Ha, I love this place.

yeah i gots tha automotive covered as well but im carless since my integra was stolen B18a with frankenstien headswap

and no i didnt put any stupid type r badges or giant ugly gtr wings on it either
um it was a b16a head with ITR throttle body

1992 if you care

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

yeah i gots tha automotive covered as well but im carless since my integra was stolen B18a with frankenstien headswap

and no i didnt put any stupid type r badges or giant ugly gtr wings on it either
um it was a b16a head with ITR throttle body

1992 if you care

Man, that must have been sweet. Too bad it got stolen.. Freaking hondas and theft..

But thieves are moving to nissan now, since they're becoming mainstream with all the Silvia/Drifting crap.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by admin

Bump... for new viewers tuning in. show is repeating...

Man, I really wish my cable company caried TechTV with basic cable.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lando95

Man, I really wish my cable company caried TechTV with basic cable.

I dont get that either, damn adelphia wants people to pay for everything, and my illegal satellite card guy is doing time so no more of that either...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts