Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/721227/borderlands-2-to-use-steamworks-on-pc/
Quote:
2K Games confirms this morning that Borderlands 2, which arrives in North America on September 18, will be powered by Steamworks on PCs. What this means is that even if you pick up a retail copy
This sucks. And I know there are alot of steam lovers here, and don't get me wrong, i like steam too, but its the question of choice. I want to be able to just launch my game as is, without having to open any other programs etc, regardless of how cool or lovable that program is. I dont mind having to validate it online or validate it with steam, but I do not want any programs dependent on another to function

what if companies make you open up a separate program every time you use the internet, or open word, or open up another program just to open up itunes, it's pretty annoying

and to any hardcore streamlovers, you are welcome to not post if this offends.

I should have put NO STEAM or any program like it when i wrote my mini essay to gearbox when they were accepting ideas for BL2

edit: and i am NOT biased against steam, i like steam, My entire point is, we should have the choice to use it or not instead of being forced with it

cookies are delicious, alot of people like cookies, i like cookies, you like cookies. what if i forced you to eat cookies every time you eat, then when you don't like being forced with it, i say youre biased against cookies?
tongue.gif

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Meh. I'm always on Steam anyway. As long as it doesn't use the finicky GameSpy crap again I'm good.

·
I'm gonna need a sweeper
7,568 Posts
Pretty sure this got announced way back. More than happy for it to use Steam though, and keeping everyone on one version of the game is probably a good idea.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
they most likely decided to use steamworks because that is the most widely accepted DRM platform, the last game was widely pirated because you could still play online with a pirated copy.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion Racing View Post

Pretty sure this got announced way back. More than happy for it to use Steam though, and keeping everyone on one version of the game is probably a good idea.
lol might be a good idea, might not

either way, users should have a choice instead of being shackled with it. like i said, i like steam for what it is, but its the forced dependency on it that makes me cringe. We should have a choice to lauinch the game without steam

now i understand why some people say DRM will only increase piracy

·
Premium Member
6,174 Posts
Well whatever, it's better than GFWL.

·
I'm gonna need a sweeper
7,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkeyprince View Post

either way, users should have a choice instead of being shackled with it. like i said, i like steam for what it is, but its the forced dependency on it that makes me cringe. We should have a choice to lauinch the game without steam
Pretty sure the reason for it being on Steam was the fact they were using some unique Steam features - such as the Steamworks multiplayer. Otherwise you would probably end up with GameSpy again.

Considering Steam isn't ever a problem, has a ton of great features and in some cases can actually improve a game I'm not sure why people are against using it.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkeyprince View Post

I like this.

·
Premium Member
7,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Batgirl View Post

Meh. I'm always on Steam anyway. As long as it doesn't use the finicky GameSpy crap again I'm good.
+1

This is almost certainly a repost. it's old news (is that an oxymoron?). most pc fans of the first game begged gearbox for steamworks integration (among many other pc friendly features and improvements that the developer claims have made their way into the sequel) so just like the draconian DRM in some other games, take it up with the community. they asked for it.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRockMonsi View Post

When I read the thread title, I thought to myself "Man, they definitely could have worded the announcement better," and sure enough, I click on the source and the title certainly is worded differently. The OP just let his bias get to him.
lol how is "boarderlands 2 will require steam" biased? it will require steam

and like i said, i think steam is okay, im not debating that its bad, its a good program, the point is we should have the choice of whether to use it or not instead of being forced to use it.

·
POWER LURKER
733 Posts
Agree that being "forced" to use applications. I personally love steam and would prefer if Steam supported Borderlands 2.

My god, I can't wait for it to be released. Gearbox ftw!
wheee.gif

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't like to be locked down to certain applications to launch my games, but c'mon its steam.... Who doesn't use steam?

·
Registered
748 Posts
With all the issues i have been having with Diablo 3 and the constant DC from their servers and the loss of progress in the game it makes me iffy on pre-ordering this.

Long as it has a quicksave option i am good though.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
If it would be any other service everybody would be crying left and right and launching petitions like mad, but since it's Steam it's all good, everybody's happy, the hypocrisy.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telimektar View Post

If it would be any other service everybody would be crying left and right and launching petitions like mad, but since it's Steam it's all good, everybody's happy, the hypocrisy.
Not my fault Steam has earned the respect is has and that just about all other DRMs have not.
thumb.gif

It would be more hypocritical if people came directly from complaining about GFWL saying the game needs Steam, then complaining about Steam in this thread!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksireaper View Post

With all the issues i have been having with Diablo 3 and the constant DC from their servers and the loss of progress in the game it makes me iffy on pre-ordering this.
Long as it has a quicksave option i am good though.
Requiring Steam DOES NOT MEAN requiring a constant internet connection. There is an offline mode for Steam, and it's not about to kick you out of game if you do lose your connection while playing. I don't honestly understand how people today can't figure out this... Steam has been around for nearly a decade, it would have died a long time ago if it wasn't good!

·
Finding order in chaos
880 Posts
I suppose its better running with steam rather than anything else as steam is widely used anyway

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Not sure where the OP has been recently, but there is nowadays only three choices for DRM that comes with most EVERY game.

Steam >>>>>>>>>>>> Origin >>> GFWL

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lol everybody is preaching the same thing: steam is good, which i established already

steam has an offline mode, which is good, steam being a good program is established already

what my point is, you are forced to open steam, launch the game from steam, and have steam running, to play, some people love steam and is okay with it, which is fine, then they can play with steam open.

the problem is, you are forced to use it, there is no choice offered to just install the game and launch the game without being shackled with other programs

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateN34 View Post

Not sure where the OP has been recently, but there is nowadays only three choices for DRM that comes with most EVERY game.
Steam >>>>>>>>>>>> Origin >>> GFWL
witcher 1 and witcher 2? because those games are out "where ive been recently"

do they have those games where youve been recently? you should check them out, they are really good games
smile.gif

1 - 20 of 121 Posts