Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have the X-530s but I'm only using them in a 2.1 configuration because there are not many audio sources that support 5.1 sound and I was very disappointed.

I'm considering a speaker upgrade. I'm a gamer first, sound dude second so what would be the best use of money? I'm using onboard sound from my EVGA 780i FTW motherboard and I plan to stick with it because I'm not super picky about sound but I do like it loud every now and then

So my question is which would be a better upgrade for me? Money does weigh in because I've already spent a lot of money on my computer in the past 3-4 months and this is just one more thing. I want to upgrade mainly for the matrix mode because my X-530s don't have it and they are basically X-230's right now.

The X-540's have the same wattage as my X-530's so it's kind of a dismal upgrade but is economical if it is really all I need. The G51 looks great, sounds great, lots of power, features, but pretty expensive. The G51 has two matrix mode: gaming & music.

Lemme know what you think. $78 for the X-540, $170 for the G51.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonorously View Post
Just grab a soundcard and turn on CMSS-3D.
Can I do that without a sound card?

·
Registered
990 Posts
There is not a huge difference between the X-530 and the X-540. You can look for a virtual surround or CMSS option on your onboard, I'm sure it has the capability. My onboard on my motherboard has the option. If that doesnt happen, you can just buy a splitter, and just split the sound coming out of your front channels to all the other channels.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YOSHIBA View Post
get a soundcard before you upgrade your speakers, and theres media players that will output all channels as long as it's enabled in windows or with your soundcard (which you dont have)
+1 get a sound card and it will make a hell of a difference then onboard and if you don't like it with your current speakers then upgrade.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I also vote for buying a sound card.

·
I like computers
7,546 Posts
Do not go from x530 to x540, actually a downgrade IMO. I have had both and the 530's are more clear sounding, the 540's distort (bass and treble) badly, and I've tried 4 sets.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
First, like others have mentioned, you'll want a soundcard.

Second, I've owned the x-540's and currently have the g51's. I'd definitely say bypass the 540's.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Instead of using your money on speakers, I suggest you upgrade from onboard to this thing. Absolutely impressive and I am 100% sure you will hear a difference, even with your current speakers.

EDIT: Turns out the card is out of stock. You can find it elsewhere online using Google though.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Admiral Mudkipz
View Post

Instead of using your money on speakers, I suggest you upgrade from onboard to this thing. Absolutely impressive and I am 100% sure you will hear a difference, even with your current speakers.

EDIT: Turns out the card is out of stock. You can find it elsewhere online using Google though.

That card looks pretty intense. I was actually looking at the Asus Xonar DX because my budget for a sound card is $120 and under.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts