Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how will ati compeet whitht the G80 i have herd that it will be launching in early november and it seems that there is still no news on the arival of the r600

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Im quite suprised at this. Didn't ATI have the x1900 out before the 7900? I would have expected them to keep this tradition.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Jester
Im quite suprised at this. Didn't ATI have the x1900 out before the 7900? I would have expected them to keep this tradition.
R600 cores were taped out quite some time ago and worked well, and the R600 supposedly will be the faster of the two, but ATI is having the same problem that Nvidia is having with the G80,

The R600 core makes heat. And lots of it. It also consumes about 200W of psu staggering current. The G80 may come with a hybrid water/air cooler due to its temp issues, and the R600 was said to be worse... Perhaps they'll shrink the manufacturing process again..

I want to see how well unified shader gpus overclock

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
as long as they hurry up not a fan of the green team myself but if ati dosent update to dx10 soon im gaun have to switch

·
Premium Member
5,703 Posts
R600 is still scheduled to come out before the end of 2006 as far as I know, and it should blow away the G80 completely and utterly, it's simply a much faster architecture.

·
Premium Member
4,833 Posts
AMD bought ATI, but it is still it's own brand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts