Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have this new AMD motherboard... Gigabyte's new "Flagship".... or so they say. I've had two chips in it, so far. A Phenom II X2 555, and my current chip--a Phenom II X2 955.

I put the 555 in, and it wouldn't unlock to quad like it used to be able to do in my old 770 board. However, I did achieve a 4Ghz OC with that chip in dual core mode with a 275Mhz bus, stable with IBT.

I got my wife an 8350 and took her old 955 so I could finally have quad core back. I put that in there and now I have problems.

I can get the bus up to about 230 stable, but the CPU multiplier wont do ANYTHING. I do have a black edition chip, so, this board sucks.

I took the battery out and unplugged everything....cleared cmos.... all that nonsense.

Has anybody ever run into this? Do I have to wait for a BIOS update....?

I've filed a support thingy with gigabyte.... talking to them seems to be like talking to god, you just wait and pray lol...... I've gotten one response in a week about it:

"We don't seem to have issue on this particular board, I will escalate this issue with my team and get back to you soon.

Thank you."

I told them about clearing the CMOS and removing battery..... waiting for a response for that now.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basard View Post

So, I have this new AMD motherboard... Gigabyte's new "Flagship".... or so they say. I've had two chips in it, so far. A Phenom II X2 555, and my current chip--a Phenom II X2 955.

I put the 555 in, and it wouldn't unlock to quad like it used to be able to do in my old 770 board. However, I did achieve a 4Ghz OC with that chip in dual core mode with a 275Mhz bus, stable with IBT.

I got my wife an 8350 and took her old 955 so I could finally have quad core back. I put that in there and now I have problems.

I can get the bus up to about 230 stable, but the CPU multiplier wont do ANYTHING. I do have a black edition chip, so, this board sucks.

I took the battery out and unplugged everything....cleared cmos.... all that nonsense.

Has anybody ever run into this? Do I have to wait for a BIOS update....?

I've filed a support thingy with gigabyte.... talking to them seems to be like talking to god, you just wait and pray lol...... I've gotten one response in a week about it:

"We don't seem to have issue on this particular board, I will escalate this issue with my team and get back to you soon.

Thank you."

I told them about clearing the CMOS and removing battery..... waiting for a response for that now.
To be honest, anything you do like core unlocking, overclocking is running things out of spec. That is what we do here but I don't think you cores not unlocking would be something they would rma a board for. Neither that you can't get a satisfactory overclock.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the same exact board in my benching rig running a 8370 overclocked @ 5.0ghz. Multiplier works fine
smile.gif

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I don't really care about the core unlocking at this point. That chip is just going into my CPU collection now.

The main concern I have is that when I change the multiplier for the CPU, nothing happens. I can raise and lower it to whatever I want--but when I reboot it just stays at 3.2Ghz. The multiplier will stay changed, it just has no effect on the CPU's speed.

@kwikgta That's good to know. Your sig says 990FXA-UD5. So you have both boards?

Hopefully, it's just a problem with these older chips. I've got an 8300 in the mail, so the problem will be fixed if that's the case.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Quote:

Well, I don't really care about the core unlocking at this point. That chip is just going into my CPU collection now.

The main concern I have is that when I change the multiplier for the CPU, nothing happens. I can raise and lower it to whatever I want--but when I reboot it just stays at 3.2Ghz. The multiplier will stay changed, it just has no effect on the CPU's speed.

@kwikgta That's good to know. Your sig says 990FXA-UD5. So you have both boards?

Hopefully, it's just a problem with these older chips. I've got an 8300 in the mail, so the problem will be fixed if that's the case.
Yes sir. The UD5 is in my main rig and I actually have 2 of the 990fx gaming boards. One is in my benching station with an 8370 @ 5.0ghz, and the other is in my teenage sons rig with an 8370e @ 5.1 ghz.

Just to make sure you didn't miss anything, did you remember to put it in manual before trying to change the multiplier?

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikgta View Post

Yes sir. The UD5 is in my main rig and I actually have 2 of the 990fx gaming boards. One is in my benching station with an 8370 @ 5.0ghz, and the other is in my teenage sons rig with an 8370e @ 5.1 ghz.

Just to make sure you didn't miss anything, did you remember to put it in manual before trying to change the multiplier?
You must be a glutton for punishment with all those Gigbyte boards and the bios.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The UD5 board in my rig is a revision 1 that was bought new by me in 2011 and still going strong. Ive never had any problem with bios. All together there are 6 Gigabyte boards at my house: My main rig = UD5 R1. Benching station = GA - 990FX Gaming. In storeage (backup board)= UD7 R1. Son's Rig = GA - 990FX Gaming. Daughter 1 rig = UD3 R1. Daughter 2 rig = UD3 R1, Never had a problem with any of them

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Put it in manual, eh? Not sure where that applies with this board. I had to do that once, on an older board of mine, like 8 years ago, but that was to allow changing the most basic oc settings. This board seems to be in "manual" as soon as you get into the settings. Other than an MSI and a Biostar, which seem to have the same BIOS, I've been using Gigabytes boards for the last ten years, so I'm pretty familiar with the BIOS settings... By manual, are you referring strictly to the CPU's multiplier?

When I had the X2 555 in this board, the multiplier worked fine. Now with this 955, changing it does nothing. I've had the multi on 14 for the last 20 boots, and it still registers as 3.2ghz:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjames61 View Post

You must be a glutton for punishment with all those Gigbyte boards and the bios.
Him and I will have to start a "Gluttons for Punishment" club, eh?
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
I have several Gigabyte boards AM3+ and the bios is terrible, buggy, unresponsive and those are the good points. The hardware is solid.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Quote:

Him and I will have to start a "Gluttons for Punishment" club, eh?
rolleyes.gif
I guess with 8 posts you are unable to discern when someone is saying something tongue in cheek.
rolleyes.gif
Roll eyes back to you bro....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

I guess with 8 posts you are unable to discern when someone is saying something tongue in cheek.
rolleyes.gif
Roll eyes back to you bro....
I've gotta stop clicking the smileys.
I was just making a little joke back at you.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@kwikgta When this 8300 gets here I'll send you this X4 if you'll take it. Maybe you can throw that in your test bench and see it you have the same problem.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Quote:

@kwikgta When this 8300 gets here I'll send you this X4 if you'll take it. Maybe you can throw that in your test bench and see it you have the same problem.
Be glad to try it for you
smile.gif

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikgta View Post

Be glad to try it for you
smile.gif
That will be cool to see what you can torture out of it.

I've only got the two computers running in my house. No back up to screw around with.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
hmm,

Do other settings in your bios save? could be a problem with bios #1 and the gigaboard boots from the secondary bios. Since its a dual bios board.

I'd personally flash the bios with the latest on the site, then make sure to save the bios to the secondary as well by pressing and holding alt+f12 at post. (will need a ps2 keyboard) This will update both bios on the board.

other than that, i dunno what to tell you, I've had zero issues with my GA-990fx board, other than well the onboard LAN dying.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebduncan View Post

hmm,

Do other settings in your bios save? could be a problem with bios #1 and the gigaboard boots from the secondary bios. Since its a dual bios board.

I'd personally flash the bios with the latest on the site, then make sure to save the bios to the secondary as well by pressing and holding alt+f12 at post. (will need a ps2 keyboard) This will update both bios on the board.

other than that, i dunno what to tell you, I've had zero issues with my GA-990fx board, other than well the onboard LAN dying.
Everything else works fine. And there is only F1 BIOS version available.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Quote:

I've gotta stop clicking the smileys.
I was just making a little joke back at you.
No problem. Have you tried the board with the 8300 yet?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

No problem. Have you tried the board with the 8300 yet?
Nope, it's gonna be almost six days to get to Wisconsin from Missouri this time around. It will be here tomorrow though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts