Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,749 Posts
The VRM should be identical with newer 990FXA-UD3 boards (at least it´s digital). Based on a quick look at the bios it´s also pretty much the same...
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stilt View Post

The VRM should be identical with newer 990FXA-UD3 boards (at least it´s digital). Based on a quick look at the bios it´s also pretty much the same...
rolleyes.gif
I wonder if Gigabyte will redesign the bios in the AM4 boards?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

rolleyes.gif
So basically its a UD3 R4 with some new fancy stuff?

·
Premium Member
2,749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grompf View Post

So basically its a UD3 R4 with some new fancy stuff?
I´ve called it "a 990FXA-UD3 with some lipstick on it" previously
biggrin.gif
Not that USB3.1 and M2 wouldn´t be highly welcome
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
2,749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjames61 View Post

I wonder if Gigabyte will redesign the bios in the AM4 boards?
The state of their bioses have been pretty poor for ages
rolleyes.gif
Technically some of their boards are top notch (like F2A8*X-UP4), but their bioses are something pretty embarrassing. Their AMD release bios versions are so infested with bugs (or simply broken) that none of the other ODMs I´ve worked with would dare to call them even as "alpha" versions
mad.gif

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

I´ve called it "a 990FXA-UD3 with some lipstick on it" previously
biggrin.gif
Not that USB3.1 and M2 wouldn´t be highly welcome
smile.gif
So hmm now I have a ASRock 990FX Extreme9 with an FX-8320 @4.2Ghz but I am in the mood to get something new without loosing performance -.-

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Quote:

So hmm now I have a ASRock 990FX Extreme9 with an FX-8320 @4.2Ghz but I am in the mood to get something new without loosing performance -.-
The Gigabyte can certainly do 4.2. Most likely it can at LEAST do 4.5.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Quote:

The state of their bioses have been pretty poor for ages
rolleyes.gif
Technically some of their boards are top notch (like F2A8*X-UP4), but their bioses are something pretty embarrassing. Their AMD release bios versions are so infested with bugs (or simply broken) that none of the other ODMs I´ve worked with would dare to call them even as "alpha" versions
mad.gif
I like my GA-F2A88X-UP4 more than my Crossblade Ranger. I have had better luck overclocking my 860K, A10-7850K and my A10-7870K with the Gigabyte board. It is probably just that the ROG bios is too much for me too digest. Are Gigabytes Intel bios any better?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm using ga 990FXA UD3P. moved from an ass-rock 970 extreme(lol)4.

got a 1000 point 3dmark11 boostby doing nothing more than swapping mb under stock speeds and sitting on my arse.

I have the r4. I'm sat at 4.2ghz right now and I've not had to touch my vcore. nice and stable at 28oc
biggrin.gif

Best thing I ever did. cured 6 MONTHS OF HEADACHES. Never again.

who knew Argos(uk) sold high end motherboards next to bath towels...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstar82 View Post

got a 1000 point 3dmark11 boostby doing nothing more than swapping mb under stock speeds and sitting on my arse.

I have the r4. I'm sat at 4.2ghz right now and I've not had to touch my vcore. nice and stable at 28oc
biggrin.gif

Well a 970E4 is a step below the UD3P so yeah
wink.gif

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstar82 View Post

biggrin.gif

The "Extreme" that ASRock uses for branding means "Extreme Crap".

• Rep+
Reactions: jsc1973

·
Premium Member
4,166 Posts
Quote:

I like my GA-F2A88X-UP4 more than my Crossblade Ranger. I have had better luck overclocking my 860K, A10-7850K and my A10-7870K with the Gigabyte board. It is probably just that the ROG bios is too much for me too digest. Are Gigabytes Intel bios any better?
It seems to be every bit the equal of the XBR and the A88X-PRO. You're not the only one here who has tried them all and likes the UP4 the best. I've never tried one myself, but everyone reports good results from it. Funny that most of them hate its BIOS, and it sounds like you don't care for ASUS' BIOS.
Quote:

The "Extreme" that ASRock uses for branding means "Extreme Crap".
Extreme Crap, Extremely Unreliable, go to any Extreme to avoid...

Most AsRock's are OK as budget boards if you don't plan on doing any OC'ing. Their "high-end" boards are all jokes. Just spend a little more and get a good quality ASUS or Gigabyte.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay so two steps below, I like the Fatality Professional, but you cant get it anymore and I read somewhere thats a good copy from CH-V. Is that true?

·
Premium Member
2,749 Posts
Quote:

Okay so two steps below, I like the Fatality Professional, but you cant get it anymore and I read somewhere thats a good copy from CH-V. Is that true?
Fatal1ty Professional was indeed almost a carbon copy of Crosshair V Formula. The price was almost identical, so there was not much point.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Quote:

Fatal1ty Professional was indeed almost a carbon copy of Crosshair V Formula. The price was almost identical, so there was not much point.
Stilt, is the Extreme9 any good?

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
The problem is ASRock markets the boards towards overclockers. When
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1973 View Post

It seems to be every bit the equal of the XBR and the A88X-PRO. You're not the only one here who has tried them all and likes the UP4 the best. I've never tried one myself, but everyone reports good results from it. Funny that most of them hate its BIOS, and it sounds like you don't care for ASUS' BIOS.
Extreme Crap, Extremely Unreliable, go to any Extreme to avoid...

Most AsRock's are OK as budget boards if you don't plan on doing any OC'ing. Their "high-end" boards are all jokes. Just spend a little more and get a good quality ASUS or Gigabyte.
The problem is ASRock markets the boards towards overclockers. Then all hell breaks loose. When you call every board you make "extreme" lots of people fall for it then get disappointed and actually blame AMD.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1973 View Post

I like the ASUS non ROG type bios that the A88X-PRO and Sabertooth R2 use. Easier for a novice like me to navigate. The Gigabyte bios is well, uh better left unsaid lol!

·
Premium Member
2,749 Posts
Quote:

Stilt, is the Extreme9 any good?
I would rate it roughly the same as 990FXA-UD3 Rev. 4.x, technically. The bios should have significantly less issues than Gigabyte´s. The pricing of Extreme9 however is just absurd. In Europe it sells for 190€, which is 15€ more expensive than Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 or 47€ more expensive than M5A99FX PRO R2.0. Both of these are superior to Extreme9.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts