Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there
It's my first post here and I hope you guys will be able to give me some advice. Lets start with my pc:

mobo: GA-EX58 extreme
cpu: Core I7 920
RAM: 6GB Corsair Dominator 1600 cl8
graphic: evga 285 sli
PSU: 800w tagan

Everything enclosed in cosmos case (so its rather quite good air cooling) and big noctua cooler on cpu.
The problem is, that Im having a hard time overclocking the cpu. I read quite a lot about this cpu and its oc possibilities and I managed to OC it to 3.8 but not too stable (my goal is 4.0). Here is what I set:

QPIx36
Bclk @ 190 x20
Uncore @ 3800 MHz
DDR V @ 1.66 (memory is working on its standard timings @ 1540 MHz with x8 multiplier)
QPI/Vtt @ 1.5V
CPU V @ 1.4
all turbo modes and such are disabled

No problem with booting to windows, but blue screens happen when playing or testing. What else I can do? Should I change something/add some voltage?
I would appreciate any comments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. I read also a Gigabyte guide with exactly my mobo and cpu, did everything they said and it was no luck. Maybe I should try to add some voltage to something else than QPI/VTT and CPU?

-reading the guide-

·
Registered
353 Posts
Ummm ... what is your CPU temperature when running on load?
I have always thought the Noctua was good but probably only help you to about 3.8Ghz.
The fact that you are not hitting it may be due to your CPU, or to a high background temperature.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just read about that d0 and c0/c1. Mine appears to be a c0/c1 wich -from what i see- is not as good in oc as d0. Couldnt do much on 3.8, cause when I tried to test full load temps with orthos it crashed.... Tho at 2.8 it goes max 38C.

Is it possible to buy 920 with D0?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, checked that with CPU-Z. It says:
Stepping 4
Revision C0/C1

How do I recognize, that i7 920 is a D0 one? Or maybe it is totaly random and can be checked only in programs like cpu-z?

Edit: Ok I found a place, where I could buy a D0 one in my country. It wouldnt be a problem, because my current 920 is quite a fresh buy, so I could sell it and buy a D0.Tho the question is.... is it worth it? Are the D0 much easier to oc to 4.0?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you very much for the help guys, will try to obtain the D0 one and begin my quest to 4.0 again

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey again guys, just coming by to say, that I exchanged the C0/C1 to D0 today. I put the D0 in with these settings:

Bclk 200 x20 - 4GHz
Uncore 3800
QPI link x36
Vcore 1.4
Qpi\\VTT 1.5
and memory on 1600 (standard freq just had to set different multiplier)

First boot and... success
tested in Orthos under full load, temps are around 66C which is not too good but not too bad also. Im considering water cooling tho.

EDIT. What do you think about the Vcore guys? Should I lower it a bit and see if it get unstable?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by skwarek
View Post

Hey again guys, just coming by to say, that I exchanged the C0/C1 to D0 today. I put the D0 in with these settings:

Bclk 200 x20 - 4GHz
Uncore 3800
QPI link x36
Vcore 1.4
Qpi\\VTT 1.5

tested in Orthos under full load, temps are around 66C which is not too good but not too bad also. Im considering water cooling tho.

Vcore of 1.4V is a bit high for 4GHz on an i7 920 D0; 1.27-1.3 is the range you should aim for.

Same with your QPI/VTT voltage, try to gradually step it down a bit.

Also, multiplier of 20 seems to put more stress on the stability of the overclock. You're probably better off using a x21 or x19 multiplier.

Temps of 66C under full load are actually very good on air at 4GHz. Do you have HT enabled?

Have fun OC'ing.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by skwarek
View Post

Bclk 200 x20 - 4GHz
Uncore 3800
QPI link x36
Vcore 1.4
Qpi\\VTT 1.5

EDIT. What do you think about the Vcore guys? Should I lower it a bit and see if it get unstable?

66C full load at 1.4v? I don't think so...unless your ambient is super low.

You don't need that much vcore for 4.0 and that's way too much QPI as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was using a Gigabyte guide to be honest, cause Im not an advanced OC'er and I set most of those things like they said. Thanks for the advice guys, will try to lower both the QPI\\VTT and VCore. So the Vcore should be around 1.27-1.3, what about the QPI\\VTT?

Yes, HT is enabled, Im using the Noctua radiator with two coolers on it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So... I played a bit with the voltages, and right now my CPU is @ 1.28V and QPI/VTT @ 1.34. Everything is stable so far... Im amazed how good the D0 revisions are when it comes to OC, on my C0/C1 I had trouble to keep it stable on 3.6 (3.8 was a horror).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I guess it is the old truth, that not every processor is the same, some C0/C1 may be good for OC, but I had trobules with mine and none with D0.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts