Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was helping a friend and he bought a GTX 460 to replace his 9800GTX+. I recommended the DirectCU GTX 460, but hes having issues with the card freezing just after it boots into windows. He can boot up in safe mode perfectly fine with no issue, but as soon as it boots normally it will freeze and he can't do anything.

His specs are:
Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 1.0
Crucial DDR3 [email protected]
Asus ENGTX460 DirectCU 1GB
OCZ 700w StealthXStream
Noctua NH-D14 Heatsink
Coolermaster HAF 932 Case

I'm really not sure what it could be. Any ideas? If you need anymore info feel free to request it.

He's tried 260.63, 260.89, 258.96, 259.47 Drivers for it and has tried disabling the Nvidia HD Audio Devices.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,183 Posts
When it freezes does anything on screen get distorted any color changes?
Does anything look different a message or anything?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,038 Posts
Is the dude local to you, i.e. can you try his card in your machine?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,174 Posts
Did he have Afterburner running for his old card? If so, then perhaps it's trying to enable that overclock on the old card, and because it obviously can't, it freaks out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, Sorry for the late response.. I had classes and exams today


Quote:

Originally Posted by L3gacy View Post
When it freezes does anything on screen get distorted any color changes?
Does anything look different a message or anything?
Nope, no color distortions or anything. Everything just freezes and the cursor doesn't move or anything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by brettjv View Post
Is the dude local to you, i.e. can you try his card in your machine?
Yep, the card works in my PC fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Mad Mule View Post
Did he have Afterburner running for his old card? If so, then perhaps it's trying to enable that overclock on the old card, and because it obviously can't, it freaks out.
We actually both thought that could be the issue so we uninstalled Afterburner.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
475 Posts
its definetely the card bro, sorry to be the one to say it but it is..this is a common problem with 460s, I had the same problem with mine and so did 5,000 other people with 460s..You will probably have to rma, or mess around with the drivers, reinstall, try different ones, make sure you get the newest ones from nvidia, try anything like that, but in the end you may have to rma, because i did and so did alot of other people.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,038 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaded View Post
its definetely the card bro, sorry to be the one to say it but it is..this is a common problem with 460s, I had the same problem with mine and so did 5,000 other people with 460s..You will probably have to rma, or mess around with the drivers, reinstall, try different ones, make sure you get the newest ones from nvidia, try anything like that, but in the end you may have to rma, because i did and so did alot of other people.

I'm pretty sure the exact number is OVER 9000!!!

Srsly, though ... it's kinda hard to justify (on any level) an RMA when the card works in a different machine, don't you think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
can you do a fresh windows install ?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,174 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaded View Post
its definetely the card bro, sorry to be the one to say it but it is..this is a common problem with 460s, I had the same problem with mine and so did 5,000 other people with 460s.
Did you know that 69% of statistics are made up?
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top