Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, a silly question, but I can't figure it out:
I've a Gainward GeForce GTS 250 512MB Green Version card (at a budget PC), and I tried to overclock it last night. At stock it runs at 702/1000. OC'et it to 810/1200 - no artifacts seen and the temp goes up a couple of degrees celsius.

But, here is the 'fun' part: Trying a video stress-test in Counter-Strike Source it gives me 10 fps less than at stock?! I know - CSS is not a good testbench, but still.. Down 10 fps, no mather what I do with the settings/resolution.

I'll try other benchmarks with the card OC over this weekend, but was woundering if someone knew what was going on here..

·
Registered
426 Posts
It sounds like a unstable overclock.try and lower it to maybe 750/1100 and see what happens.

·
Ore Wa Gundam
1,800 Posts
Yup, just sounds like your clocks are a little high, they have the opposite effect when pushed over their limit 8)

We essentially have the exact same card, I aint pushing mine higher 'til I get aftermarket cooling for all the bits, your case is alot cooler and has superior airflow, so you should reach higher clocks, it's just finding that borderline.

Try ATITool for any artifacting at 790-800/1200 (what about your shaders?), and be sure to make sure your drivers are clean and fresh (DriverSweep any old ones), I found that to be a hugely limiting factor when I first started running my card, the rediculously early artifacting and limited OC was nullified when I cleaned out the old properly.

The stock cooler on these aint exactly top-notch though, especially when you compare it to the likes of the TwinFrozr, but the card has alot of potential when you lavish it with RAMSinks and make sure the other components are cooled (sensor readings are only the GPU diode afterall).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips EvoBeardy!
Tried to download the ATITool, but no luck since I'm running Win 7 64-bit. Some searching gave me the tip of GPUTool, using it now.
My current driver is 196.34. Had an older one before, but used DriverSweeper to remove it.

First run at stock after 5 min gave me 74.0 °C and fanspeed of 45 % (auto).
[702Mhz / 1000MHz / 1512MHz].
Will try your settings now - see what happens! 3DMark06 is downloaded and I'll fire it up as fast as things getting stable here :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, this is the 'final' result of the 'Find Max'-functions in GPUTool, one step under artifacts:
GPU Clock: 785MHz
Memory Clock: 1270MHz
Shader Clock: 1908MHz
But it gives me artifact after a couple of minutes (error detected - some pixelfail or something)

Using your settings it seems stabel
GPU Clock: 775MHz
Memory Clock: 1240MHz
Shader Clock: 1728MHz

Max and stable temperature: 77.0 °C and a fanspeed of 53% (auto).

----------------

Just ran the standard 3DMark06 test now (free version, not able to change a thing):
14075 3DMarks
SM 2.0 Score: 5703
SM 3.0 Score: 6298
CPU Score: 4170

Can't say it's telling me much tho..

I'll try running the test later at stock - see if it's lower (and set the CPU at stock too).
And I can't make the result public, because the driver isn't approved by Futuremark (196.34).

·
Ore Wa Gundam
1,800 Posts
Nice work so far

Say, do you particularly care about noise? Reason I ask, is that you may be able to push it further if you lay in some custom fan speed settings.
I mean I hit 82 during stability testing, with fan speed at 100%, but you may be able to get more from your shaders if it were cooler 'cos your fan's only running at half speed currently.
If you care about noise, then you probably won't wanna go over 65-80%, but if like me you'd rather a cooler card, you can play about with fan speeds.

As an example, I idle at 45%, up to 60% when temps go over 55c, 80%@60c, 100%@65c and back down to 45% when under 54c.
Obviously gaming won't heat your card like testing will, so you can do it accustomed to the temps you go up to under average/heavy gaming.
Afterall, a cooler card is a longer living card, and usually more clockable too 'cos the shaders on these cards don't seem to like 65-76c, they'd go higher if adequately cooled. (better cooled versions hit high 1900's-2k on the shader)

When you run 06 and the little box with your results come up, there should be a little details tab at the bottom, that'll show your FPS for each event so you have something more than just the score to compare in 3DMark, or does the trial version not have this?

CPU OC will make a massive difference in your score in 06 by the way, and I don't think it'll be much longer before they re-release the WHQL version of the 197.13, I also saw a nice improvement of these over the 196.34's.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by EvoBeardy View Post
Nice work so far

Thanks

Quote:

Say, do you particularly care about noise? Reason I ask, is that you may be able to push it further if you lay in some custom fan speed settings.
I mean I hit 82 during stability testing, with fan speed at 100%, but you may be able to get more from your shaders if it were cooler 'cos your fan's only running at half speed currently.
If you care about noise, then you probably won't wanna go over 65-80%, but if like me you'd rather a cooler card, you can play about with fan speeds.
Well, can't say that I care about the noise during oc/gaming. At normal use I have all the fans off, except the big intake fan @ very low speed and a exhaust fan on the top. During gaming/hard work they're at full speed. Using a fan controller and on/off-switches.

Quote:

As an example, I idle at 45%, up to 60% when temps go over 55c, 80%@60c, 100%@65c and back down to 45% when under 54c.
Obviously gaming won't heat your card like testing will, so you can do it accustomed to the temps you go up to under average/heavy gaming.
Afterall, a cooler card is a longer living card, and usually more clockable too 'cos the shaders on these cards don't seem to like 65-76c, they'd go higher if adequately cooled. (better cooled versions hit high 1900's-2k on the shader)
Yeah, I was thinking about the fanspeed - since it didn't go above 53%. I'll have a look at the settings (Speedfan's the one to use?), or I'll hook it up with the fan controller.

What's the most important to overclock on the card - the GPU, memory or the shader? Or a combination of all?

Quote:

When you run 06 and the little box with your results come up, there should be a little details tab at the bottom, that'll show your FPS for each event so you have something more than just the score to compare in 3DMark, or does the trial version not have this?
Sorry, no.. I had two choices - upload the data online or save it on the harddrive. Here is the info from the webpage:

But, is this for real or is something really wrong?! :-D
CPU1 - Red Valley 1.37 FPS
CPU2 - Red Valley 2.03 FPS

Quote:

CPU OC will make a massive difference in your score in 06 by the way, and I don't think it'll be much longer before they re-release the WHQL version of the 197.13, I also saw a nice improvement of these over the 196.34's.
Yeah, I'm about to install the 197.13-drivers now and it'll be nice to see the improvements!

I've ordered a new cooler for the CPU and I'm getting it on wednesday - going up to 3,5GHz. Will have a testrun on 3DMark using stock first, and then overclock.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
ive not done much clocking with my newer cards but i had 2 7900's with zalmon fans on and i could clock them really high but it got to a point like EvoBeardy said it slows down i dont know why but my 3dmark06 score went down and down with no artefacts at all

·
Ore Wa Gundam
1,800 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas.A
View Post

Thanks

Yeah, I was thinking about the fanspeed - since it didn't go above 53%. I'll have a look at the settings (Speedfan's the one to use?), or I'll hook it up with the fan controller.

What's the most important to overclock on the card - the GPU, memory or the shader? Or a combination of all?

I use SpeedFan to keep logs of all my temps, voltages and speeds (with Everest & RivaTuner also), for fan control though you want either RivaTuner or EVGA Precision, they both have fan profiles you can setup, RivaTuner is a much more complex program, but very good, both are written by the same guy.

People usually clock first GPU, then Memory, then Shaders, you'll wanna clock them all as high as they can go (stable) really, your core clock'll raise the Pixel & Texture Fillrate, Memory gives you more bandwidth and shader frequency increases your FPS.

Quote:

But, is this for real or is something really wrong?! :-D
CPU1 - Red Valley 1.37 FPS
CPU2 - Red Valley 2.03 FPS

Haha, nar man, that test is solely for the CPU and focuses more on it's ability to handle AI I believe, I get 0.817 & 1.265 [email protected]

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi again!

The new CPU-cooler arrived today, thus giving me a chance to OC my CPU a bit more. I'm now stable @ 3.5GHz.

Used RivaTuner to set up some custom fanspeeds (found a nice video on youtube). It seems stable with the following speeds:
GPU Clock: 800MHz
Memory Clock: 1240MHz
Shader Clock: 1723MHz

GPUTool reports no error and the temp is stable at 67 °C. Should I be happy with this or try to get some more out of it? And I installed the 197.25-drivers today.

Running a new 3DMark06-test now, giving me the following values:
15267 3DMarks
SM 2.0 Score: 6337
SM 3.0 Score: 6596
CPU Score: 4644

1 - 11 of 11 Posts