Overclock.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have 2 GTX 460's and the top card is on temps of 90-100 degrees even on a small load. Ive tried switching the top card and bottom card but no success. Do i need a new MOBO? are they too close to eachother? Im looking to upgrade soon also, here are my specs.......

CPU: Intel Core i7 920
RAM: 6gb DDR3 1333
PSU: Kingwin Lazer 1000w
Motherboard: MSI X-58 Pro-E
GPU's: 2 1gb Galaxy GTX 460's in SLI
Case: NZXT Lexa-S (Looking to go to a Coolermaster HAF 932 Advanced.)

My case is currently in a corner with some space on each side. I've read up on the problem and a case with good cooling is recommended so i picked the HAF. Another question i have is to get a new motherboard to space out the cards a bit. Are there any solutions you folks may have in mind?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I had Galaxy 768mb versions in spaces right next to each and my top card would hit 80-85c ( actually that was my bottom card. My top was less )on full load overclocked more.

Do you have a high OC?
What is the temp of the other?

·
Registered
971 Posts
I have two 480's sandwiched right next to each other, and I don't have a problem, but I think it's because of the 90-degree rotation of the Raven case. Because others with my motherboard are experiencing the same problem as you are when using SLI. They don't have the rotated case design of the Raven/FT02. Several examples in this thread with my mobo: http://www.overclock.net/intel-mothe...l#post13031156

Instead of the HAF, I would get the Silverstone Raven or FT02. My temps are great in the Raven and both my cards are overclocked above the SuperClocked factory overclock. My "top" GTX480 maxes at 72* and my "bottom" card maxes at 68*. Keep in mind that in these cases, there is no real "top" or "bottom" card, since the motherboard is rotated 90 degrees. They sit side-by-side. And the 180mm fans blow air between them, which instead of getting trapped under the "top" card like in a regular case, the air just goes right up the top and out the case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That case sounds nice, dont you have to plug in everything at the top then. dvi cables etc. etc.? and to answer the other question i have not overclocked and the other card is about 20 degrees cooler

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I had that same problem with one of my 460's. Switched them around and the same card got hot. Pulled the cooler off th card and it was a mess, so much TIM...litterally flowing over th edges. After cleaning it and applying MX-4 it was within 2c of my other card.

When u switch cards around does the top one always get hot? If it does it's and air flow issue. The HAF cases are great for air flow. The HAF X has a side fan and gpu duct.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts