Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/3...ame_Movies.php

Quote:
Speaking at Bank of America Merrill Lynch's Media, Communications & Entertainment Conference in Newport Beach, CA, Kotick noted that July's StarCraft II has about an hour's worth of cutscenes that are created with the title's in-game engine.

He theorized, "If we were to take that hour, or hour and a half, take it out of the game, and we were to go to our audiences for whom we have their credit card information as well as a direct relationship and ask, 'Would you like to have the StarCraft movie?', my guess is that ... you'd have the biggest opening weekend of any film ever."

Kotick noted that unlike film studios that are stuck with a model that requires costly theatrical distribution that cuts in on margins, Activision Blizzard could go directly to its consumers via online. The CEO mentioned a possible $20 or $30 price tag for such a film, but at this early stage, it's all speculative.

But it still seems that such an initiative is inevitable for the publisher. "Within the next five years, you are likely to see us do that. That may be in partnership with somebody, it may be alone," he said.

"But there will be a time where we capitalize on the relationship that we have with our audience, and deliver them something that is really extraordinary and let them consume it directly through us instead of theatrical distribution," Kotick added.

Citing some unspecified research at Activision, the CEO said that if the company were to distribute a movie directly to consumers' homes, "an extremely high percentage [of consumers] would then go to the theater then watch it again. That's the nature of our consumer -- a very enthusiast consumer."
The actiblizzard empire is growing even more.

·
Registered
918 Posts
amazingly enough, i dont think its that bad of an idea. id probably see it...

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
mw2 the movie

·
Registered
407 Posts
Quote:
He theorized, "If we were to take that hour, or hour and a half, take it out of the game, and we were to go to our audiences for whom we have their credit card information as well as a direct relationship and ask, 'Would you like to have the StarCraft movie?', my guess is that ... you'd have the biggest opening weekend of any film ever."
If this were to happen...

·
Premium Member
5,699 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordikon View Post
$20-30 for a video game movie?

Is it OK that I hate Kotick with the fiery passion of a thousand suns?
I know, selling movies at standard DVD/Blu ray prices? How could they?

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by darksideleader View Post

They would be completely digital and have no physical copy. But of course those savings wouldnt be passed onto us

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
This would be OK if the movie was 'extra' content not included in the game. But it sounds like he is saying that they take that content out of the game and make people pay for it. If that's the case, Blizzard or Activision will never see another dime from me. And this is from someone who doesn't like RTS games, but bought SC2 for the story...

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thenutty1 View Post
This would be OK if the movie was 'extra' content not included in the game. But it sounds like he is saying that they take that content out of the game and make people pay for it. If that's the case, Blizzard or Activision will never see another dime from me. And this is from someone who doesn't like RTS games, but bought SC2 for the story...
yeah, that is exactly what he is describing. lol

this is probably the worst ceo ever. sure, you need to cater to your shareholders, but not at the expense of your customer base.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by homestyle View Post
yeah, that is exactly what he is describing. lol

this is probably the worst ceo ever. sure, you need to cater to your shareholders, but not at the expense of your customer base.
Who gives a **** about customers when 85% of your customer base is a bunch of lemmings that will buy air from you just to breathe. He says this stuff because he can get away with it, because he knows the majority doesn't listen to things like this, or know who Bobby Kotick is.

That number was out of my ass by the way, but a large percentage of people keep them afloat by buying crappy games year after year.

And this is from someone who bought SC2, I haven't bought another game from Activision since CoD4. And I won't, the only game I'll touch from them is probably Starcraft, the next two releases.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
No one would pay 30 bucks for that. I don't care how big a Starcraft or a anything else fan you are. Brand new grade A Hollywood movies don't even cost that much.

Piratebay would be busy.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by darksideleader
View Post

when you already buy the game and have to pay $20-30 for the same content in the game? no thanks. thats extortion to an extent

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
$20 - $30 for a downloaded movie? At that price it better be at some resolution such as 3840x2160 or higher.

But seriously I find it very easy to boycott Activision. All they do is fail time and time again.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
as long as they produce that is fine with me.

its like a hot chick with a bad attitude. everyone says what a bit*h she is, but hang their tongue out when she walks by.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Anyone that can say this is remotely a good idea doesn't understand what's going on here. Taking the cut scenes out of a game would, for one, leave a lot of the details out of a game, thus making it quite confusing. Next, they'll take out the gameplay and charge $30, too, claiming it's content 'you can't live without.'

Sad part of this all is that it will sell. Mindless idiots will think they're getting a great deal.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts