Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:

For a time, the ambitious fan-made Black Mesa project seemed like all but vaporware. The fan-made Half-Life remake promised to recreate Valve's debut shooter in the modern Source engine, but after roughly eight years of development and very little word from the dev team, the project's future was uncertain, to say the least.

But that all changed last month, when team came out of hiding and finally launched the highly-anticipated total conversion mod on September 14. With the game now in players' hands, we recently reached out to Black Mesa project lead Carlos Montero to learn more about the project, and how the fledgling mod team took a crash course in game development and managed to recreate one of the most beloved shooters of all time.

While Montero didn't join the Black Mesa team until the game was well into development, he explained that the mod originally wasn't supposed to be such a large undertaking. Back in 2004, it simply began as a hobbyist fan project that snowballed into something much greater.
Source

·
✾ ✿ ❀ ❁
8,614 Posts
Stayed up last night playing this, really amazing remake. They haven't just given it new textures, but an amazing new feel with visuals that surpass HL2 easily.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I just closed Black Mesa and opened this article. It truly is a spectacular remake. I'm loving it so far.

·
Linux Evangelist
2,611 Posts
It's been several years since I played the original, and I haven't played the Xen missions since 1998. But I can tell you, what he said about the feel of Half Life, it's all there. I knew it the moment I booted it up. I'm not sure how much they changed, I know that some puzzles retain the concept but the execution is different. I know that some things were left out. But they nailed the feeling that the original inspired, and everything looks as good as you remember it looking, which is hilarious because if you load up the walkthrough on youtube for the original it looks SO outdated. The reactor complex is a rather stark change for instance.

All in all this is the best remake I've ever played, and by far the best fan effort that I think the web has ever seen. It's easily good enough to charge for it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I never played the original Hl1 even tho used to play alot of Cs 1.4-1.5. I tried the game after playing HL2 but rather decided to wait for Black Mesa. Now that i finished Black Mesa, its easily one of the best games i ever played. The level of immersion i got while playing does not come close to any other game ive played before. The credits of course goes back to the original HL but the bm people did something great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.