Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 975 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source
Quote:
AMD reportedly hosted an event designed to showcase its upcoming Polaris GPUs and the Radeon Pro Duo to journalists behind closed doors in Taiwan recently, ahead of an expected official unveiling in May. The big noise coming out of the event is that the switch to the 14nm FinFET fabrication process means the Polaris 10 GPU performs extremely close to the GeForce GTX 980 Ti, but for a drastically cheaper price point.

·
News Junkie
8,232 Posts
Hmmm

·
Registered
724 Posts
Yeah, no, I can't believe that. 980 Ti performance for half the price, on a new process that is twice as expensive? That's literally implausible.

I can't even fathom how much such a GPU would break the industry (it most certainly would), and drive a price war that'll last far longer than it needs to. If anything, it'll be 980 Ti performance for $150 less, not $300 less.

·
ٴٴٴ╲⎝⧹˙͜>˙⧸⎠╱
6,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakewalk_S View Post

Cool cool...all is well...EXCEPT I REALLY want to see power consumption numbers. I can deal with the cooling with some CLU but I REALLY REALLY hope AMD can reduce their power consumption like there's no tomorrow.
crossfire? more like house fire.

That being said, it should be fine if amd keeps the AIO cooler from the fury series.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CataclysmZA View Post

Yeah, no, I can't believe that. 980 Ti performance for half the price, on a new process that is twice as expensive? That's literally implausible.

I can't even fathom how much such a GPU would break the industry (it most certainly would), and drive a price war that'll last far longer than it needs to. If anything, it'll be 980 Ti performance for $150 less, not $300 less.
This is my stance, and even if this is true then the pro duo is literally the worst price point card on current release. 4x""""980ti performance AMDcards"""" for 1200 bucks or a produo for 300 more and over 50% slower....

·
Premium Member
4,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakewalk_S View Post

Cool cool...all is well...EXCEPT I REALLY want to see power consumption numbers. I can deal with the cooling with some CLU but I REALLY REALLY hope AMD can reduce their power consumption like there's no tomorrow.
Just the fact that it's on a 14nm process should make a big reduction in the power consumption all by itself.

·
Registered
851 Posts
All those concerned with power consumption, Polaris was seen running hitman 4K60 passively (as in, with no fan).

Not some hearsay, it came from pcper iirc

·
Registered
724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyshagg View Post

All those concerned with power consumption, Polaris was seen running hitman 4K60 passively (as in, with no fan).

You can do that with a R9 Fury today quite easily - as long as the card doesn't reach a specific temperature, you can have the fans off. Also that was 1440p at 60fps, not 4K.

4K 60fps is still a hard thing to do for a single GPU, especially with a taxing game like Hitman.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyshagg View Post

And faildozer was seen running benches at 40%+ faster than ivy.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Those in denial clearly haven't been around long if they find this 'implausible'
rolleyes.gif
. I remember when the 4870 launched for $299 and matched or beat Nvidia's $399 GTX 260. Or when the 5850 launched and was 50%+ the performance of a 4870 but had an even lower launch price of $259. Those were the golden days and I'm glad to see it making a comeback.

This Polaris 10 will likely be the 480x. Having the mainstream GPU of the next-generation match the flagship of this generation isn't farfetched at all. It's expected.

• Rep+
Reactions: Cyro999

·
News Junkie
8,232 Posts
From what I have heard, this is going to blow Intel i7 series out of the water. Twice the power, half the price. All we have to do is wait.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CataclysmZA View Post

You can do that with a R9 Fury today quite easily - as long as the card doesn't reach a specific temperature, you can have the fans off. Also that was 1440p at 60fps, not 4K.

4K 60fps is still a hard thing to do for a single GPU, especially with a taxing game like Hitman.
lol. That's the point. The fans didn't come on. What are you trying to say? At a certain temps you can have the fans off, and the Polaris 10 had its fans off. Not sure if srs....

·
Premium Member
9,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zealord View Post

The biggest question is.

In case this is true, what does AMD do with the Fury, Fury X, 390 and 390X ?
thinking.gif
EOL?

·
Premium Member
5,899 Posts
On a new processing node with a new architecture AMD aught to be able to match 980ti performance at that price range. The GTX 1070 (or whatever it will be called) aught to do the same.

1 - 20 of 975 Posts