Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. It's been almost a month since i completed my first loop and for the cost that i payed for my loop i can't say im satisfied at all. My loop cosists of a simple CPU loop:

-Thermaltake CPU Waterblock - Completely Temporary, as i have been waiting almost for a month for European shops to restock on the XSPC Raystorm, so i borrowed this from a friend. http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/coolers/thermaltake-pw850i-prowater/24_wb_t.jpg

-Black Ice GTX 480 Radiator - Found this on a bargain on a local shop as it was the last piece and it was selling it in half price.

-Mavericks MCP350 Pump - Good deal.

-Magicool 250mm Cylinder Reservoir - Will be replaced soon with FrozenQ Liquid Fusion Reservoir. http://www.eworld.com.gr/eworld/products/details/1186

-Water for Injections as my cooling liquid. I don't actually know if this its the same as Distilled Water, but in every shop i looked here for Distilled Water this is what they gave me in a local drug store. It's supposed to be clean.

-Feser UV Blue tubing

-Bitspower Fittings

To get to the point, those are my temps in iddle:

CoreTemp-Scr.png 40k .png file

Its kinda dissapointed as a friend of mine who had the thermaltake all-in-one liquid cooling system which is pretty crappy (weak pump and 120mm Radiator) with an XSPC Rasa Waterblock had like 21°C in iddle.

So what are my suspicions:

1) Waterblock is bad.

2) Water for Injections is not Distilled Water and it doesn't work as a good cooling liquid.

3) My pump is weak, although in the reservoir i see a lot of distortion in the water level so i guess this means its ok.

4) My Radiator is not working properly?

5) I didn't install the block properly? Actually i added a rice drop thermal paste and i tightened the screws a lot...and when i say a lot i mean A LOT!

Try and guess what my problem could be, so that you could help me figure out what's wrong and fix it.
Thanks in advance OCN.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
I think it's directly related to that CPU block. Even the page where you got the picture from has this to say...
Quote:
As we learn more about the new Thermaltake PW 850i ProWater liquid-cooling system we realize that it doesn't meet the minimal criteria for the efficient liquid-cooling system that we pointed out in the introduction. And the test session did prove that Thermaltake PW 850i ProWater may not be suitable for overclockers. Even though it is a relatively inexpensive liquid-cooling system, it can't compete against much cheaper air-coolers.
You will likely see a large improvement once you get the Raystorm
thumb.gif

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so we are all certain that it's the waterblocks fault? i cant believe that the raystorm can give me 30°C difference in temperature..

·
Registered
981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartl3ss View Post

so we are all certain that it's the waterblocks fault? i cant believe that the raystorm can give me 30°C difference in temperature..
yeah, your rad's set up fine...

definitely the waterblock

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
could someone remind me how i set up prime95 to check the load temps so i can show u some stats..?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Quote:

could someone remind me how i set up prime95 to check the load temps so i can show u some stats..?
When you start prime95, and window should come up asking which test you want to run. Make sure mixed blend is selected, then make sure maximum allocation of your CPU and RAM is enabled in the boxes. Then press OK. It will start immediately. Then have a temp monitoring program up, like coretemp...

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by microman View Post

i dont understand what the issue is here... the pic in your first post is not at idle so that clearly explains why the temps are the way they are.
EDIT this is a game so what do i win???
biggrin.gif
the pic in my first posts show idle temperature
smile.gif
at least in the first 2 cores..had nothing running except firefox..

·
How many volts!?
3,430 Posts
That block could be too restrictive. (Answer about the block question.)

The Raystorm would definitely give you the temps you're looking for.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I'm kinda of curious about the "Water for Injections", as that sounds more likely to be saline solution than pure water.
They mix injectable medications into a saline solution, not pure water.

Saline solution would be bad to use in a water cooling loop, as it is essentially salt water.

If you have some left over, taste it and see if it tastes salty, kind of like fresh sweat.

You can typically find distilled water at a grocery store, next to the bottled drinking water.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleal View Post

I'm kinda of curious about the "Water for Injections", as that sounds more likely to be saline solution than pure water.
They mix injectable medications into a saline solution, not pure water.
Saline solution would be bad to use in a water cooling loop, as it is essentially salt water.
If you have some left over, taste it and see if it tastes salty, kind of like fresh sweat.
You can typically find distilled water at a grocery store, next to the bottled drinking water.
well i tasted it and its not salty at all for sure, but it has a rather weird bad taste like water thats been closed for a lot of years...

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
Quote:

LOL, i can't actually believe it. My CoreTemp must been broken..i ran a stress test with the settings of prime95 you told me and look at the temps, 1-5°C more than idle temps..haven't seen anything like this..

CoreTemp-Scr.png 43k .png file
It is pretty unusual, though it does match up to what the reviews found. Maybe it's just that generation of CPU?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybutcher View Post

It is pretty unusual, though it does match up to what the reviews found. Maybe it's just that generation of CPU?
no..with the intel stock cooler i had exact same idle temps as the idle temps of the cooling loop, which are ~50-56°C..at load i had 80-90°C with intel stock cooler..

1 - 20 of 41 Posts