Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read that the original Gameboy (The fat one) had a screen resolution of 160x144. There is currently a beta Gameboy Emulator for a graphing calculator. The calc has a resolution of 160x100 so parts of the screen are missing! Then I read that the Gameboy Pocket had a resolution of 140x102. I wanted to help by figuring out a crunch feature for the emulator, so that all of the picture fits on the screen. So the brainbuster I have for you is does any one know how the Gameboy Pocket scales Gameboy games onto its smaller screen? Any help would be great!

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Because it is a smaller screen and also it is a multiple of 160x144, get what im saying. Just like on a 17 inch monitor resolutions of 800x600 will work and so will 1024x768, becaus they are multiples. At least thats my theory.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But what I'm wondering is does it automatically scale the image or is it hardware/software controlled? That's what I need to figure out...

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
It automaticly scales the image.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That would be cool....Oh and by the way tylerand are you sure the screens are proportional? I crunched the numbers and got the Gameboy Fat with a 10:9 screen ratio and the Gameboy Pocket with a 7:5 screen ratio? Those ratios arn't really close so I'm guessing that there is some software involved to do all of those scaling calculations!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So OK does anyone want to agree with me on this one? And does anyone have an idea of how to hack a Gameboy Pocket?

EDIT: Hmm, maybe this guy could help me?

·
Premium Member
7,395 Posts
I don't think that there is enough processing power in a GameBoy to offload the screen resizing to the processor. If the posted resolutions are correct, then every game needs the exact same scaling to occur; so a few hardware functions to automatically make the resizing occur makes more sense than having the firmware do it.

Are we sure that those screen resolutions are correct, though? Because as you say, the proportions are definitely different. A square pixel on a standard GameBoy would appear squashed on a GB Pocket after the screen resizing.

How many colors can a GB Pocket display, too? Because the screen res's have no obvious relationship to each other, it seems as if a large majority of the resized screen would in fact be interpolated colors. And you need a large color palette to do that without looking bad. Can it do 16-bit color (65K colors), or is it limited to 8-bit color (256 colors, which seems more likely considering the age of the platform)?

One possibility to maybe look into: Maybe the original GB's possible screen res was larger, but for some reason the border was off-limits to developers? Maybe the GB Pocket's res is what was actually used in games? In which case scaling is not necessary and the picture fidelity would remain unchanged.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
See for yourself, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...aming_consoles
Gameboy Pocket is the only Gameboy with a 144x102 resolution. Google 'Gameboy Pocket specifications' and you'll get a bunch of sites that confirm the resolution. Both Gameboys can display an eye-poping 4 shades of gray. And if you do look closly you can see that the Pocket has a wider screen.
Maybe if I email Nintendo they'd be nice enough to tell us?

EDIT: Hea, you think maybe because the screen is physically wider than the original Gameboy it makes up for the proportion, you know what I'm saying? The aspect ratio tells us that the Pocket should have a less wide picture but we have to remember that the Pocket's screen is also longer! You think that's it?

·
Premium Member
7,395 Posts
Doh, of course it's four monochromoatic shades. For some reason I had the GameBoy Color in my head.

I suppose it's possible that squished pixels could be avoided if the physical pixels on the Pocket were not square, so that the squishing winds up giving you a square appearance. But I still think this would look terrible, and it does not solve the problem of the severely interpolated image.

Very strange. I'm sure the answer is out there somewhere, people that have written GB emulators would probably know the answer.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I emailed a guy who writes emulators, here's what he had to say.
Drumroll, please......

Quote:

GameBoy Pocket had the same resolution as the original GameBoy, i.e.
160x144.

Doh! Guess it's a lost case then

·
Premium Member
7,395 Posts
Sounds to me like this is a case of Wikipedia being wrong. I wasn't going to mention it before, but Wikipedia is not exactly a rock-solid information source. Anyone can insert wrong information, and it will stay there until someone else notices it.

In fact, you might want to let that guy know that Wikipedia has the wrong info, he might want to go correct it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts