Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.gamefront.com/gamefront-is-closing-down-april-30-2016/

Unlike last time, their servers are going offline completely on April 30.
Quote:
To all of our loyal fans and site users:

We are sorry to announce that GameFront will be closing its doors permanently as of April 30, 2016. Since our founding as FileLeech almost 20 years ago, we have always strived to offer the best file hosting alongside quality gaming content. To all of our fans who have supported us throughout the years, we thank you for making us your destination for gaming files. Despite name changes, ownership changes, and staff changes, you have always made our jobs rewarding and fun.

If you have files that you would like to save from the site, you will need to make sure that you have downloaded them prior to April 30. Any files not downloaded by that time will no longer be accessible.

Again, thank you all for your support through the years. Game on!

·
Super Moderator
9,192 Posts
Waitwaitwait. Did these guys host Filefront, the Battlefront mod site?
frown.gif

EVERYBODY WE NEED TO ARCHIVE THIS!

EDIT: Oh, whoops, that shut down back in August. Okay, now I'm a bit less sad. Still, it's not great to see this place shutting down.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
There's a lot of stuff that needs to be archived. It's sad that this place is going away for good. We're going to lose a lot of good stuff, no matter how old it is.

·
Registered
608 Posts
It's like one store/website at a time but my childhood is fading away!!!!

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
They lost/deleted every single video that Lineage 2 players made and posted at l2guru and they kept doing so for years.

Good riddance.

·
*cough* Stock *cough*
2,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axmand View Post

But they dont say the reasons why they are closing...
$$$

·
Registered
966 Posts
So whats stopping them from uploading the files to torrant/magnet link and letting the community keep them around via seeding. This is what torrent clients should be for.

And whats stopping valve from stepping in and helping what was probably host to many valve based mods over the years. Hats more important?

Is there a list of what files that are going to be lost? Can anyone recommend any mods worth downloading to perverse that are hosted on there. Id be happy to try out setting up a magnetic link/torrents, or would that require to permission of the mod creators?

Argh, what a waste. Alot of this stuff is not 10-15 years old. Is that how short a period such a large part of what makes this platform what it is, is to be kept around? This is part of the entire pc communities history.

·
*cough* Stock *cough*
2,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoLomgbbq View Post

So whats stopping them from uploading the files to torrant/magnet link and letting the community keep them around via seeding. This is what torrent clients should be for.

And whats stopping valve from stepping in and helping what was probably host to many valve based mods over the years. Hats more important?

Is there a list of what files that are going to be lost? Can anyone recommend any mods worth downloading to perverse that are hosted on there. Id be happy to try out setting up a magnetic link/torrents, or would that require to permission of the mod creators?

Argh, what a waste. This is part of the entire pc communities history.
Unfortunately it will not be the first or last large scale website to shut down. Large portions of websites have been shut down.

You can still use archive.org to see old websites(at least this is something, sometimes file downloads may work depending on the host and stuff).

The web has CHANGED allot since I stepped onto it in the dial up days and it was full of personal websites(replaced by social media).

·
Registered
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukemaster View Post

Unfortunately it will not be the first or last large scale website to shut down. Large portions of websites have been shut down.

You can still use archive.org to see old websites(at least this is something, sometimes file downloads may work depending on the host and stuff).

The web has CHANGED allot since I stepped onto it in the dial up days and it was full of personal websites(replaced by social media).

·
Registered
291 Posts
Oh wow, haven't heard that name in years. This was my go to site whenever I needed to download Wolf:ET and other free games/mods. They always had full speed mirrors, too.

Man, I feel old now.

·
*cough* Stock *cough*
2,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoLomgbbq View Post

memories I am sure I still have an account on angelfire(had lycos geocities freeyellow and so on too. needed space to host roms
tongue.gif
).
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge View Post

Oh wow, haven't heard that name in years. This was my go to site whenever I needed to download Wolf:ET and other free games/mods. They always had full speed mirrors, too.

Man, I feel old now.
Still plenty of ET servers running. Get in and kill someone.

·
MegaTechPC
19,215 Posts
Never heard of them...

·
Registered
773 Posts
I remember downloading crazy mods for Battlefield Vietnam back in the day using this site. Things like a revolutionary war mod with muskets that took 30-45 seconds to reload for real. A halo mod called homefront, i think it was. I guess Nexus really hit them hard for them to shut it down.

·
MegaTechPC
19,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvkfc View Post

Were you born this century?
Eh, I'm not much of a gamer tbh (have never modded a game in my life).

1 - 20 of 53 Posts