Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Regular reviews take place throughout SCE Worldwide Studios, ensuring that the resources that we have in such a competitive landscape can create and produce high quality, innovative and commercially viable projects.

As part of this process we have reviewed and assessed all current projects and plans for the short and medium term and have decided to make some changes to the European studios structure.

As a result, it has been decided that Evolution Studio will close.

It is regrettable that this decision will lead to compulsory redundancies. We accept that this decision will mean that we risk losing high calibre staff but by focusing on other Studios that already have exciting new projects in development we believe we will be in a stronger position going forward and able to offer the best possible content of the highest quality for our consumers.

Where possible we will try to reallocate people onto other projects. If appropriate opportunities are not possible within the company, we will assist staff in any way we can, including speaking with local employers and with other development companies.

Evolution has been an important part of SCE Worldwide Studios for over 10 years - working on ground-breaking racing titles like WRC, Motorstorm and DRIVECLUB.

This decision should not take anything away from the great work that Evolution has produced.
Source:http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-03-22-sony-confirms-closure-of-evolution-studio

Really sad day for me, DriveClub was the best (technical) looking racer it's sad to see it go, wonder what's going to happen to DriveClub VR

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Dang. When I read the title, I was like, "Who is Evolution Studios?" and then realized they are the DriveClub devs. Very sad IMO since DC was my GOTY and most realistic-looking game ever (maybe besides Battlefront modded). Very talented, passionate, and detail-oriented devs, there and was REALLY looking forward to the VR.

·
Dream with your eyes open
3,837 Posts
Well that sucks. DriveClub turned out looking very good, but apparently that wasn't enough. Either way, I'm sure the developers there will find good work in other companies. Probably many in the new studios developing VR games.

·
Premium Member
15,714 Posts
Driveclub had a bad launch but ended up being awesome. Sad about this. Driveclub is a great game.

·
Registered
783 Posts
so I am guessing servers and updates for drive club will no longer exist?

·
Premium Member
15,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clao View Post

so I am guessing servers and updates for drive club will no longer exist?
I am sure they will. Sony still owns the game and servers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts