Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
...Now, finally, a new Baldur's Gate game is on the way - just don't call it a sequel. Digital game distributor BeamDog (who owns Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition developer Overhaul Games) confirmed that a brand-new installment in the series is in the works. However, instead of pushing the series' "Bhaalspawn Saga" forward, the new title will fill in the gap between the original Baldur's Gate and its sequel...
http://gamerant.com/new-baldurs-gate-development/

More at source
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,409 Posts
YES!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,648 Posts
What?! AWESOME!!!!

Edit: After reading the link, I'm skeptical though. Looks like it could very easily be a big disappointment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,510 Posts
Noooo!!! Dang it! There was little to nothing happening between the first game and the 2nd game. They can't make a full-length BG game with that... BLAH! I HATE Prequels of any kind. They always suck because you know how they will end, which is the climax of every good story!
 

·
Iconoclast
Joined
·
30,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchX View Post

Noooo!!! Dang it! There was little to nothing happening between the first game and the 2nd game. They can't make a full-length BG game with that... BLAH!
I disagree. The whole aftermath of Sarevok's original defeat and it's impacts on the Sword Coast were not elaborated on in any detail in any of the games, and there is quite a bit that could have happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchX View Post

I HATE Prequels of any kind. They always suck because you know how they will end, which is the climax of every good story!
Well, they can't really make a sequel unless you want them to simply reuse the name, as the protagonist is either an ultra powerful mortal at the end of his/her adventuring career, or an outright deity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,789 Posts
I'd be excited, but I honestly haven't even pass the halfway point of BG 1 yet, let alone the BG 1 expansion, 2 and it's expansion. : (
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

I disagree. The whole aftermath of Sarevok's original defeat and it's impacts on the Sword Coast were not elaborated on in any detail in any of the games, and there is quite a bit that could have happened.
Well, they can't really make a sequel unless you want them to simply reuse the name, as the protagonist is either an ultra powerful mortal at the end of his/her adventuring career, or an outright deity.
Unless an ancient evil (Irenicus' Teddy Bear or whatever) is to awake and strip the protagonist of his powers or a coalition of Gods decides the protagonist was too powerful for a mortal, thus he was exiled or again stripped of his powers, etc. There are SO many ways to make it straight once more!
 

·
Iconoclast
Joined
·
30,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchX View Post

There are SO many ways to make it straight once more!
I'd really rather they avoid the old cliche of stripping a character of power so they can build an new cash cow around the name. Better to let CHARNAME retire gracefully after Throne of Bhaal, and tell us a new original story, IMO.

Not that this new Baldur's Gate is likely to be very original, unless it's Baldur's Gate in name only, but if they have to tell a new story about the same characters, the time between BG1 and 2 is really the only place they could fit it in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,400 Posts
unless it's being devolved by InXile and Obsidian in a joint a deal ....meh i prefer original devs with titles, specially older ones. I kickstarted WL2 fora reason but, hey the games not over till the reviews are out, I have seen some games successfully revived by other studios just very rarely.

Also it could be non cannon or spin off or prequel or something, as far as the post about story line go, that i'm seeing above.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
This game is guaranteed to sell well (IMO the only reason it's being made) and it'll also be from the people who added those forced and cringeworthy extra characters and stories to the Enhanced Editions.

My expectations are indeed extremely low.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTe View Post

This game is guaranteed to sell well (IMO the only reason it's being made) and it'll also be from the people who added those forced and cringeworthy extra characters and stories to the Enhanced Editions.

My expectations are indeed extremely low.
Really? Why are they so bad? I haven't been able to play BG1:EE because its so outdated, even though its EE and I heard the original BG1 was nothing like the 2nd BG. ATM I am replaying IWD:EE and its excellent, but it doesn't feel very different from the original game. I can't even apply AA of any kind on characters!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,734 Posts
Love baulders gate. Hope they don't mess it up. I need to buy more runes from the lizard lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchX View Post

Really? Why are they so bad?
They tried too hard to make them stand out, like one-upping the original "cast". Instead of being quirky, the new chars come out as annoying and forced. Not to mention the horrible voice acting.

Although, having played all three Baldur's Gate's on-off almost from their release to this day, my view might be quite nostalgic, but I still can't see how their inclusion was supposed to enhance anything.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTe View Post

They tried too hard to make them stand out, like one-upping the original "cast". Instead of being quirky, the new chars come out as annoying and forced. Not to mention the horrible voice acting.

Although, having played all three Baldur's Gate's on-off almost from their release to this day, my view might be quite nostalgic, but I still can't see how their inclusion was supposed to enhance anything.
Boo was the bestest friend I ever had.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
The article is kind of pessimistic about the franchise- I don't get why they say BGIII is in the works, but it isn't actually a "true" sequel.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowLowCanYaGo View Post

The article is kind of pessimistic about the franchise- I don't get why they say BGIII is in the works, but it isn't actually a "true" sequel.
Because it's a prequel...basically.

It's filling the gap between 1 and 2...

Thus it's not truly a sequel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post

Because it's a prequel...basically.

It's filling the gap between 1 and 2...

Thus it's not truly a sequel.
Nah, man, you're nuking it out. They are too. They are explaining it isn't "true" because of the D&D rule set the developer decided to pursue. I don't know enough about the various D&D rulesets, but apparently the chosen one is much older.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowLowCanYaGo View Post

Nah, man, you're nuking it out. They are too. They are explaining it isn't "true" because of the D&D rule set the developer decided to pursue. I don't know enough about the various D&D rulesets, but apparently the chosen one is much older.
There is no "true" D&D rule set and there never has been..."true" is what version is current when the game releases...They decided not to use that.

Just because the chosen ruleset is older, doesn't squash legitimacy.

Still don't consider it a sequel based on what I said previously; though.
thumb.gif
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top