Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
The World of Warcraft is serious business. So serious that I write on a WoW-based site and you get to visit. So serious that even mail-order brides can be ordered within leading to amazing relationships right before our eyes . So serious that even shrinks are being brought in to help the addiction. Obviously the game makes Activision Blizzard a truck load of cash month to month with over 11.5 million subscribers, but how many copies of the game have actually sold in US stores?

NPD Group, the cats who have the means to track such data have an answer and it is quite impressive. Realize that these numbers don't track digital sales, downloading the client and paying for a key or figures outside of the United States. According to NPD the lifetime sales of the game are 8.6 million. That is standard, all the expansions and every collectors edition. That is over 153,500 copies a month and over 5,100 copies a day; absolutely jaw dropping.

It is a bit difficult to compare this to other games that have a much higher sales like Wii Play, Pokemon R/B/Y, Sims 1/2, Starcraft, etc. Numbers we have for their lifetime sales are generally world-wide. Starcraft for instance has moved 11 million copies but those are world-wide figures as are Wii Play's 22 million plus. (check more here via wiki sources). I figure with sales from around the world included WoW probably tops all but a few of Nintendo's console/hand-held titles which dominate the console charts and maybe the Sims 1 and 2 and their expansions on the PC.

Besides for the whole "Chinese rights transfer" business the game is still showing few signs of slowing down. People may come on here and gripe about the game, arena, PVE or Serennia never winning a tournament. Largely though the masses move on playing away in their vast social networks within game. New people pick up the game as others move on to new MMOs or new genres in general and the money continues to pour in.

I am with the train of thought that there may never be a MMO that tops these kinds of numbers. I would even go as far to say that WoW 2 or Blizzard's next project may not either. Its possible but I almost think that maybe this was the right game at the right time with low enough specs to reach a massive audience. Thoughts?
Source

• Rep+
Reactions: Fitzbane

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
How is this news?
this is just an opinion and speculation. Cool achievement for just one game tho. Sparked a lot of controversy and made a boat load of money / games happy.

(edit) i think this is the first video game in history to kill someone tho! that's a dam'd fine achievement if you ask me.

·
Just Lift Bro
3,234 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by I_dalder_I View Post
How is this news?
this is just an opinion and speculation.
This

I was sort of confused then i read your comment and i was like "ahh so its not news"

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by I_dalder_I
View Post

How is this news?
this is just an opinion and speculation. Cool achievement for just one game tho. Sparked a lot of controversy and made a boat load of money / games happy.

(edit) i think this is the first video game in history to kill someone tho! that's a dam'd fine achievement if you ask me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylzer
View Post

This

I was sort of confused then i read your comment and i was like "ahh so its not news"

I agree with both of you, In all honesty I'm getting sick of hearing about WoW all the time. I would rather play pacman or mario.....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by That_guy3
View Post

I agree with both of you, In all honesty I'm getting sick of hearing about WoW all the time. I would rather play pacman or mario.....

So don't open damn WoW titled threads?

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by I_dalder_I
View Post

How is this news?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylzer
View Post

This

Quote:

Originally Posted by That_guy3
View Post

1. The source uses actual figures which are objective not subjective.
2. Every article is an opinion article when we think of reviews.
3. If you don't like the news don't click on the thread.

Thank you and good day.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NrGx View Post
1. The source uses actual figures which are objective not subjective.
2. Every article is an opinion article when we think of reviews.
3. If you don't like the news don't click on the thread.

Thank you and good day.
I know, but wow is old, Stop posting news about it because we don't care to hear about it.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Maybe not news but it still does contain a fact on the overall games sales of WoW in the US.

Which is still incredibly impressive.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by That_guy3 View Post
I know, but wow is old, Stop posting news about it because we don't care to hear about it.
So just because you don't want to hear about, that all of a sudden means that all people don't? I almost want to say your trolling. I myself don't care for WOW, but there are a lot of people who do. And as some one else said, if you don't like WOW related articles, don't click on them.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by I dalder_I
View Post

i think this is the first video game in history to kill someone tho! that's a dam'd fine achievement if you ask me.

yea a game cant kill someone {except for epileptic seizures} its the person addictive nature. cant blame that on a game just the person.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I was interested to hear the amount of games sold as opposed to always hearing how many subscriptions there are.

Plus, if you don't care don't click.

Stupid trolls.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by r34p3rex
View Post

When i first saw the title, i thought it meant that NPD was selling a lifetime WoW subscription

At least I'm not alone.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyHeaven
View Post

At least I'm not alone.

I thought that too.

GM's apparently get a few lifetime gamecards they can give to friends...

·
Banned
9,264 Posts
when i read the title i thought they started selling lifetime WoW accounts... already had a hard time believing that... EDIT: lol im not the only one

1 - 17 of 17 Posts